What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League and Fries in the USA: Six Down Rugby

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Rugby League and Fries in the USA: Six Down Rugby!

(20 years of talking Rugby League, but learning American Football, in the USA – Spinner Howland)

This is probably directed more at the traditional Rugby League fan that holds tightly to the language of the game, of which many are from countries where “CHIPS” are thin cut Potatoes Sticks that are fried and served hot.

Those who have visited the USA, for the first day or two, might think it is amusing to order CHIPS with their meal just to get a smile, a laugh, or a conversation with the cute waitress when she brings you a “Bag of Chips” (Crisps for some). But soon enough you just “want what you want” without a 60 second interpretation, and adapt to using the word FRIES. You will also starting asking for the “Restroom or Bathroom,” even though you are not tired, or dirty. No, not that kind of Dirty!!! The same can be said of an emerging and foreign Sport, in the reverse direction.

Americans LOVE sport and have a LOT of sporting options, but they don’t want to be forced to learn a new “Sporting Language” simply to enjoy something that “looks” similar enough to fill the American Football off-season, yet has terms that make it confusing. Look at almost all sporting events in the USA; they have pre-game shows, half time shows, cheerleaders, flyovers, fireworks, etc. There is rarely any three consecutive minutes that don’t contain some kind of “Entertainment.” The reason is to give fans the best sporting entertainment VALUE FOR MONEY. And they tend to have a short attention span when it comes to watching sport, because they just want to be entertained. The blunt truth is most of them don’t care about the Union vs. League spilt of 1895, don’t care about the incredible run of Grand Finals the South Sydney Rabbitohs had decades ago, less than one percent could name a single NRL or Superleague team, and they certainly don’t want to learn what going “into touch” means, when it could just as easily be said in a Sporting Language they already understand by using the term “Out of Bounds.”

Rugby League is GREAT in the fact that it requires little, if anything, to provide non-stop entertainment as a sport, to the point where fans may welcome points been scored so they have time to get a Beer, or get to the “Bathroom” and back in time for more action. Rugby League it is certainly not lacking in the best bits of why Americans love American Football. This game is full of Gladiator type violence and exciting big plays.

So... what is the issue while introducing Rugby League in the USA, the Worlds richest sporting market, in trying to attach our “version” of Rugby to American Football as much as we can? I actually like the term “Six Down Rugby” as a way to connect to American Football, while still using the word RUGBY for the allure of something violent and tough. I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked, “So Rugby League is not a Union, but it come from a Union, and as well as being called LEAGUE, you also play in a League? So you play in a Rugby League, League, right? If we could go back to 1895 we might take a different direction on that bit when thinking globally!

If you think about it for a second, Rugby League can be described as; “American Football, where all players are essentially Linebackers and Running-backs, who must play both sides of the ball, in Hurry-up offense, for 80 minutes. After each Down the tackled player becomes the Center, who snaps the ball to the acting Quarterback, who then has the option of a Quarterback Sneak, hand off to a Running-back, or start the first Lateral Pass in a simple or complex Wildcat type play. All of which is done wearing no helmets or pads, not being able to block for the ball carrier and only lateral passes are allowed.” And just to add that “Gladiator” attraction, I will include, “And with the defensive line 10 yards back from the Line of Scrimmage to start each play, and having unrestricted access to the ball carrier, some of the most violent and bone rattling tackles occur about 300 times per game.”

Ok, now I want to stop writing and watch some highlight clips myself! I also like a good “Biff” video!

American Football has Four Plays that are called individually in an attempt to go 10 yards in each Offensive possession. Rugby League has Six individual plays, that are put into an Offensive “Set of 6” designed to score during each possession. Simple enough to explain that bit!

So if we can be willing to let go of some of the traditional terms within Rugby League, when trying to promote our game to Americans, IN America, why not deliver it to them in a sporting language they already speak fluently? Sure International TV can be voiced in "Traditional Terms", but for the local game day venue, and USA TV, why not use a many NFL terms we can to make it more palatable for the locals? And isn't the idea to get as many Americans as possible into our game as Fans, and crossover athletes who will mostly come from American Football, at least as part of their youth?

I will start easy to see if we can at least agree to refer to the large area we play on as a FIELD, in the USA. A pitch is what they do in Baseball. Field, Pitch or Paddock, lets use what they know and understand locally. Can we also call it a GAME, rather than a Match? Americans play tennis as a match, and Chess, and neither evokes the vision of Gladiators in an Arena. Again, Football Game, Baseball Game, Basketball Game, can we at least get FIELD and GAME without too much fighting for tradition.

If we want to be taken seriously, rather than this “cool little sport from overseas that thinks it’s like American Football,” we need to start showing the locals we are trying as much as possible to fit into the DOMESTIC Sporting Landscape.

And does it really matter that we use the following within the USA as part of our SELLING Strategy?

“Forward Fumble” that is re-gathered by the offensive team = Knock On

“Out of Bounds” while carrying the ball = Into Touch

Touchdown = Try

“Extra Points” after Touchdown = Conversion

Acting Quarterback = Dummy half (Sure a hooker can be the hooker by name and in the scrum, but he is often in the acting Quarterback position. Leaving alone what other “Hookers” do)

Set of Six Downs = Set of Six Tackles

A Down = A tackle. (Sure the NFL has tackles, but they result in being called DOWN rather than “Held”. Exactly the same result in starting a new play)

Snap = Playing the Ball. (Yes we use our feet, but the action is the same with the ball passing between the legs)

Cannot Block = Obstruction

Line of Scrimmage = Point of the downed player who will “Snap” the ball, and where the defensive 10 yards are measured from

Even the Markers can at least be explained as a Nose Tackle and short yardage Linebacker who can attack without the defensive retreat.

Of course there are some terms that are exclusively Rugby, and locals will have to learn those; Scrum, drop goal, drop out, double movement, etc. Just like non-Americans never question the term “Long Snapper” when watching the NFL, because none of our sports have anything close to what he does.

If we can get average American sports fans to watch the spectacle that Rugby League provides, in time some fans will learn to speak “Traditional Rugby League.” Just like anyone who lives in a country that speaks a foreign language would start to learn, in order to make life easier and enjoy more conversations with those around them. You try your best to “Fit In.”

I am a firm believer, that if you want someone to buy something from you, deliver it to them in a way they understand fast, and have as few questions as possible after purchase. “Plug and Play!”

America is a massive sporting opportunity, and Rugby League is the closest version of Rugby to their own Football. To attract new domestic fans, we need to relate to them with as many similarities, and as much local language as possible. We then let them decide if they want to learn more by asking or researching. I personally think most of them will prefer to sit and watch big men play “6 Down Rugby” and enjoy the non-stop “Football Like” entertainment that is happening in front of them. I love the idea of them yelling TOUCHDOWN, when a player dives into the END ZONE with the ball, rather than them wondering if a TRY is actually a score, or just points for effort.

I drive a UTE when in Australia, and a PICK UP TRUCK in the USA, and frankly don’t care they are the same thing.

So, can Rugby League fans be progressive, and willing enough, to order Fries with their Burger, or are they so insular and traditional that they would rather just eat “Chips” and say nothing?

I hope somewhere in all of this the current Rugby League Community is not so entrenched in its traditions, to make the game harder to enjoy for potential new global fans.

wain

Juniors
Spinner, well done. This is great! As an Aussie who has lived in the States and married into a sporting mad American family, it makes total sense. I've had heaps of discussions using familiar NFL language in order for them to understand. Why not make it easier?

yakstorm

First Grade
Really like it Spinner. The name 'Six Down Rugby' really works and actually creates a more obvious differentiation between us and Rugby Union than the term Rugby League ever has.

The other suggestions all seem logical as well on the surface. Not being American I can comment as to whether they need refinement or not but on the surface I wouldn't be changing them.

Out of curiosity Spinner, with your contacts with the USARL, will you be suggesting to them to consider the vernacular moving forward?

mikeob

Juniors
Great idea Spinner. One way to help get this idea rolling is when games are streamed or if Murdoch helps out like he said he would with his media/tv outlets is to have US commentators calling the games like they do for the games I have seen coming out of Canada.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked, “So Rugby League is not a Union, but it come from a Union, and as well as being called LEAGUE, you also play in a League? So you play in a Rugby League, League, right? If we could go back to 1895 we might take a different direction on that bit when thinking globally!

Hahaha, i lived in China for a year and Europe for a few months and cannot express the frustration i have with the RLs f*cking name. The number of times i try to have this conversation is mind numbing....

Seriously though, forget about American fans. Do this f*cking everywhere!!!!

Rugby Competition is not a reasonable identifier when our closest competitor is also called Rugby Competition

I actually like the term “Six Down Rugby” as a way to connect to American Football, while still using the word RUGBY for the allure of something violent and tough.

Ive started using the term Gridiron Rugby...

Its pretty clear in stating that it basically meets in the middle of those two sports.

(And, particularly in China where America is still romanticised, jumping on the back of their biggest game is useful for catching interest)

Poul

Juniors
Rugby League and Fries in the USA: Six Down Rugby!

(20 years of talking Rugby League, but learning American Football, in the USA – Spinner Howland)

This is probably directed more at the traditional Rugby League fan that holds tightly to the language of the game, of which many are from countries where “CHIPS” are thin cut Potatoes Sticks that are fried and served hot.

Those who have visited the USA, for the first day or two, might think it is amusing to order CHIPS with their meal just to get a smile, a laugh, or a conversation with the cute waitress when she brings you a “Bag of Chips” (Crisps for some). But soon enough you just “want what you want” without a 60 second interpretation, and adapt to using the word FRIES. You will also starting asking for the “Restroom or Bathroom,” even though you are not tired, or dirty. No, not that kind of Dirty!!! The same can be said of an emerging and foreign Sport, in the reverse direction.

Americans LOVE sport and have a LOT of sporting options, but they don’t want to be forced to learn a new “Sporting Language” simply to enjoy something that “looks” similar enough to fill the American Football off-season, yet has terms that make it confusing. Look at almost all sporting events in the USA; they have pre-game shows, half time shows, cheerleaders, flyovers, fireworks, etc. There is rarely any three consecutive minutes that don’t contain some kind of “Entertainment.” The reason is to give fans the best sporting entertainment VALUE FOR MONEY. And they tend to have a short attention span when it comes to watching sport, because they just want to be entertained. The blunt truth is most of them don’t care about the Union vs. League spilt of 1895, don’t care about the incredible run of Grand Finals the South Sydney Rabbitohs had decades ago, less than one percent could name a single NRL or Superleague team, and they certainly don’t want to learn what going “into touch” means, when it could just as easily be said in a Sporting Language they already understand by using the term “Out of Bounds.”

Rugby League is GREAT in the fact that it requires little, if anything, to provide non-stop entertainment as a sport, to the point where fans may welcome points been scored so they have time to get a Beer, or get to the “Bathroom” and back in time for more action. Rugby League it is certainly not lacking in the best bits of why Americans love American Football. This game is full of Gladiator type violence and exciting big plays.

So... what is the issue while introducing Rugby League in the USA, the Worlds richest sporting market, in trying to attach our “version” of Rugby to American Football as much as we can? I actually like the term “Six Down Rugby” as a way to connect to American Football, while still using the word RUGBY for the allure of something violent and tough. I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked, “So Rugby League is not a Union, but it come from a Union, and as well as being called LEAGUE, you also play in a League? So you play in a Rugby League, League, right? If we could go back to 1895 we might take a different direction on that bit when thinking globally!

If you think about it for a second, Rugby League can be described as; “American Football, where all players are essentially Linebackers and Running-backs, who must play both sides of the ball, in Hurry-up offense, for 80 minutes. After each Down the tackled player becomes the Center, who snaps the ball to the acting Quarterback, who then has the option of a Quarterback Sneak, hand off to a Running-back, or start the first Lateral Pass in a simple or complex Wildcat type play. All of which is done wearing no helmets or pads, not being able to block for the ball carrier and only lateral passes are allowed.” And just to add that “Gladiator” attraction, I will include, “And with the defensive line 10 yards back from the Line of Scrimmage to start each play, and having unrestricted access to the ball carrier, some of the most violent and bone rattling tackles occur about 300 times per game.”

Ok, now I want to stop writing and watch some highlight clips myself! I also like a good “Biff” video!

American Football has Four Plays that are called individually in an attempt to go 10 yards in each Offensive possession. Rugby League has Six individual plays, that are put into an Offensive “Set of 6” designed to score during each possession. Simple enough to explain that bit!

So if we can be willing to let go of some of the traditional terms within Rugby League, when trying to promote our game to Americans, IN America, why not deliver it to them in a sporting language they already speak fluently? Sure International TV can be voiced in "Traditional Terms", but for the local game day venue, and USA TV, why not use a many NFL terms we can to make it more palatable for the locals? And isn't the idea to get as many Americans as possible into our game as Fans, and crossover athletes who will mostly come from American Football, at least as part of their youth?

I will start easy to see if we can at least agree to refer to the large area we play on as a FIELD, in the USA. A pitch is what they do in Baseball. Field, Pitch or Paddock, lets use what they know and understand locally. Can we also call it a GAME, rather than a Match? Americans play tennis as a match, and Chess, and neither evokes the vision of Gladiators in an Arena. Again, Football Game, Baseball Game, Basketball Game, can we at least get FIELD and GAME without too much fighting for tradition.

If we want to be taken seriously, rather than this “cool little sport from overseas that thinks it’s like American Football,” we need to start showing the locals we are trying as much as possible to fit into the DOMESTIC Sporting Landscape.

And does it really matter that we use the following within the USA as part of our SELLING Strategy?

“Forward Fumble” that is re-gathered by the offensive team = Knock On

“Out of Bounds” while carrying the ball = Into Touch

Touchdown = Try

“Extra Points” after Touchdown = Conversion

Acting Quarterback = Dummy half (Sure a hooker can be the hooker by name and in the scrum, but he is often in the acting Quarterback position. Leaving alone what other “Hookers” do)

Set of Six Downs = Set of Six Tackles

A Down = A tackle. (Sure the NFL has tackles, but they result in being called DOWN rather than “Held”. Exactly the same result in starting a new play)

Snap = Playing the Ball. (Yes we use our feet, but the action is the same with the ball passing between the legs)

Cannot Block = Obstruction

Line of Scrimmage = Point of the downed player who will “Snap” the ball, and where the defensive 10 yards are measured from

Even the Markers can at least be explained as a Nose Tackle and short yardage Linebacker who can attack without the defensive retreat.

Of course there are some terms that are exclusively Rugby, and locals will have to learn those; Scrum, drop goal, drop out, double movement, etc. Just like non-Americans never question the term “Long Snapper” when watching the NFL, because none of our sports have anything close to what he does.

If we can get average American sports fans to watch the spectacle that Rugby League provides, in time some fans will learn to speak “Traditional Rugby League.” Just like anyone who lives in a country that speaks a foreign language would start to learn, in order to make life easier and enjoy more conversations with those around them. You try your best to “Fit In.”

I am a firm believer, that if you want someone to buy something from you, deliver it to them in a way they understand fast, and have as few questions as possible after purchase. “Plug and Play!”

America is a massive sporting opportunity, and Rugby League is the closest version of Rugby to their own Football. To attract new domestic fans, we need to relate to them with as many similarities, and as much local language as possible. We then let them decide if they want to learn more by asking or researching. I personally think most of them will prefer to sit and watch big men play “6 Down Rugby” and enjoy the non-stop “Football Like” entertainment that is happening in front of them. I love the idea of them yelling TOUCHDOWN, when a player dives into the END ZONE with the ball, rather than them wondering if a TRY is actually a score, or just points for effort.

I drive a UTE when in Australia, and a PICK UP TRUCK in the USA, and frankly don’t care they are the same thing.

So, can Rugby League fans be progressive, and willing enough, to order Fries with their Burger, or are they so insular and traditional that they would rather just eat “Chips” and say nothing?

I hope somewhere in all of this the current Rugby League Community is not so entrenched in its traditions, to make the game harder to enjoy for potential new global fans.

I like it :)

I was in fact arguing for this almost 5 years ago; ( http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/american-rugby.391843/ )

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I like it :)

I was in fact arguing for this almost 5 years ago; ( http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/american-rugby.391843/ )

Yeah over the last 10 years we have had a few ideas for this. We even held a web domains for a few ideas. We looked at 13Rugby, Hybrid Rugby, 13 a side rugby, etc. But with 15s and 7s. using the number of players is just stuck in the middle as Rugby. And the issue is not really an official name change, but more an explanation in terms for the game to Americans. Target Demographic stats show that American Fooball (NFL and College) are identical to those watching RL in the USA. So an "Unofficial" term of Six Down Rugby appeals to them. And the terms used to "cross explain" make sense. It is a way to engage the passing/fleeting/first time fan, buy simply giving them a few terms where they think "Hang on, they are talking as if this is American Football, and this Rugby actually looks a bit like our Football"