What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Annual Team of the Decade

Big Pete

Referee
Skill wise, in the last decade, Matt King shat all over Matt Sing in every possible way.

Israel Folau was better than El Masri, Tate, Sing and King.

His omission is the most ridiculous, especially given they made room for Fittler and Menzies who's best years were way behind them.

Except Sing was faster, had better acceleration, was better out of dummy half and was a much better defender than King.

King had height and strength.

The Folau comment is debatable. Out of all those nominated I'd say he's only a better defender than King (if not only on par) and he can't read a game as well as Masri, Tate or Sing.

Big Pete

Referee
Ben Kennedy and Gorden Tallis are really hard done by in that team of the decade.

Nathan Hindmarsh was no better than average all decade yet he makes both teams, I honestly can't understand how people think this overrated hack is actually a good player. It's, quite frankly, astounding.

Oh and did I just see Timmah say Luke Patten was one of the best fullbacks of his time?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Off the top of my head....

Darren Lockyer
Anthony Minichiello
Billy Slater
Clinton Schifcofske
Brett Hodgson
Brent Webb
Matt Bowen
David Peachey
Karmichael Hunt
Rhys Wesser
Jarryd Hayne
Brett Mullins
Robbie Ross
Josh Dugan
Wade McKinnon
Luke Burt

are all better fullbacks than Patten. And that's just off the top of my head.

You were going fine up until you hit Dugan. Wesser was also an iffy selection given he only had one great season and one good season but you recovered with Hayne.

Hindmarsh from 00-06 was easily the best backrow of the competition.

With that said Tallis 00 season still rates as the best season I've seen from a backrower.

Kennedy arguably had a better collection of seasons with 01, 05 and 06 sticking out and SBW's 07 was certainly a contender.

Goldthorpe

Bench
01. LOCKYER, Darren
02. EL MASRI, Hazem
03. GASNIER, Mark
04. INGLIS, Greg
05. BLACKLOCK, Nathan
06. FITTLER, Brad
07. JOHNS, Andrew
08. WEBCKE, Shane
09. SMITH, Cameron
10. CIVONICEVA, Petero
11. HINDMARSH, Nathan
12. KENNEDY, Ben
13. MENZIES, Steve

TheDalek079

Bench
1 Luke Phillips
2 Brett Mullins
3 Shannon Hegarty
4 Justin Hodges
5 Anthony Minichiello
6 Brad Fittler
7 Craig Wing
8 Jason Cayless
9 Simon Bonetti
10 Peter Cusack
14 Adrian Morley
12 Craig Fitzgibbon
13 Luke Ricketson

11 Bryan Fletcher
15 Andrew Lomu
16 Chris Flannery
17 Michael Crocker

or am i being biased?

hellteam

First Grade
Interesting to note that there's not been much mention (if any) of Cameron Smith being in the side over Buderus... I would have thought there would have been dozens of Knights supporters everywhere complaining about this.

Apey

Staff member
Interesting to note that there's not been much mention (if any) of Cameron Smith being in the side over Buderus... I would have thought there would have been dozens of Knights supporters everywhere complaining about this.

probably would be if it meant anything lol.

I'm sure a few non-Knights fans would have Buderus in there. For the decade either one is a good choice tbh.

Loudstrat

Coach
El MAsri is the winger of the decade. Simple - THAT record, plus his games number and club record tries. Other wingers never had the longevity at the top in this decade. Eric Grothe Jnr is probably the next best. Sing retired halfway through the decade. Others, like Mini swapped positions.

Hindmarsh HAS to be there. Biggest workrate of the next 2 best second rowers put together.

Eelementary

Post Whore
As most of you will know the yearly edition of Rugby League Annual is readily available at your local newsagents and like always is filled with a number of interesting sections that will catch the attention of a number of readers.

This year's edition includes the RLA team of the decade as selected by past greats such as Steve Renouf, Greg Alexander and Paul Vautin. The side shapes up as this...

1. Billy Slater (Melbourne 2003-09)
2. Brent Tate (Brisbane 2001-07, Warriors 2008-09)
3. Greg Inglis (Melbourne 2005-09)
4. Mark Gasnier (St. George Illawarra 2000-08)
5. Hazem El Masri (Bulldogs 2000-09)
6. Darren Lockyer (Brisbane 2000-09)
7. Andrew Johns (Newcastle 2000-07)
8. Petero Civoniceiva (Brisbane 2000-07, Penrith 2008-09)
9. Cameron Smith (Melbourne 2002-09)
10. Shane Webcke (Brisbane 2000-06)
11. Steve Menzies (Northern Eagles 2000-02, Manly 2003-08)
12. Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta 2000-09)
13. Brad Fittler (Sydney 2000-04)

Honestly I'm surprised by a number of selections with the side namely the choices on the wing and in the backrow but I can see their point of view. What I'm interested in hearing is what are your thoughts of this side? Is it good? Have the panelists named the best 13 of the decade?

The yearly side was another section that caught my eye.

1. Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta Eels)
2. Brett Morris (St. George Illawarra Dragons)
3. Greg Inglis (Melbourne Storm)
4. Justin Hodges (Brisbane Broncos)
5. Taniela Tuiaki (West Tigers)
6. Jamie Soward (St. George Illawarra Dragons)
7. Jonathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
8. Ben Hannant (Bulldogs)
9. Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm)
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi (Parramatta Eels)
11. Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels)
12. Anthony Watmough (Manly Sea Eagles)
13. Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks)

I believe the most surprising inclusions in that side named would have to be Hodges and Hindmarsh. I can personally vouch for Hodges, I thought his form especially in the back third of the season cemented his place in the side.

On the other hand, while I can't discount his leadership on the field and his influence on his team I didn't think Hindmarsh put forward THAT great a performance this year and he definately had some players ahead of him, especially Ben Creagh who I guess became a victim of the Dragons poor exit in 09.

Ben Creagh is a super player, but I think you're under-estimating Hindy's influence on our Finals charge in '09. He did his usual 40 tackles a game but he also carted the ball up (often racking up 100 metres a game), was right up there with our top offloaders and even set up a few breaks with passes before the line. It's true that over the years he's been turned into a work-horse, but he has an undeniable class about him.

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah, don't get me wrong I can understand his selection given his work-rate and his influence on the Eels forward pack but personally speaking I've always been a fan of wide running backrowers such as Creagh and his destructive style of play certainly stood out to me.

In the end it comes down to preference and I can understand why the staff of RLA and other members of the League fraternity have come to their conclusion.

Off Topic: What happened to the LU Team of the Decade?