Rugby League at the Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'International' started by LeagueXIII, May 20, 2018.

1. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII Bench

Former England captain Kevin Sinfield was a guest..........cue all the comments of those that don't care.

taipan and Pommy like this.
  2. DlEHARD

DlEHARD Juniors

I watched every second of it.

President Trump likes this.
  3. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

He’s a patron of the RFL.

President Trump likes this.
  4. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII Bench

Get Foxtel

5. DlEHARD

DlEHARD Juniors

I was multi-screening. ;) It was all so romantic.

6. deluded pom?

deluded pom? First Grade

Parasites. I didn’t watch it. Another tax drain joins the clan.

7. Matterhorn

Matterhorn Juniors

I'm surprised Wally Lewis or Clint Gutherson were not invited.

8. DC80

DC80 Juniors

The royal family are a gold mine.

In terms of cost-benefit analysis the income they generate obliterates the costs.

For those that actually call for the end of them, the worst argument possible is “we pay for these parasites”. They are one of the most lucrative businesses on the planet.

President Trump, Pommy and DlEHARD like this.
  9. deluded pom?

deluded pom? First Grade

How many tourists ever come to London and actually see any member of the RF? Yet they still come. You can have them cheap if you want them?

10. DC80

DC80 Juniors

Actually seeing them isn’t a necessity. People come because they are happening right now, they are current, not part of a distant past. “Is the Queen home” has to be the single most asked question regarding the royal family. Being current means they can adapt, as seen at the weekend.

I don’t know what it is about them that causes people to react in such a giddy state, I can’t explain it, magic dust perhaps? They are like Disney, except real. When the Queen can have Martin McGuinness grinning like a school boy, it’s unreal the effect they have.

Mentioned them being a gold mine, the amount of business the UK gets from abroad due to the pull/prestige of the royal family is vast.

11. deluded pom?

deluded pom? First Grade

So countries and companies are dumb enough to buy something just because a member of the British RF visits!!!! I don't suppose it has anything to do with the value for money of the actual product they may be buying. A lot of people resent them because of freeloaders like Andrew who don't do enough to warrant the money handed out to him except play golf.

12. roughyedspud

roughyedspud Coach

Andrew was a UK trade envoy for a decade..

13. deluded pom?

deluded pom? First Grade

Big deal. I wouldn't pay most of them in rusty washers.

14. DC80

DC80 Juniors

Companies align themselves with hip celebrities, sports leagues etc. as the association elevates their own brand. The Royal family are top of the tree when it comes to global brands. They walk into a room, the place lights up. As I said, I don’t know why, but it does. It’s an X factor. They attract sponsors. They draw attention to causes and give them prominence.

There’s celebrities, then there’s the Royal family. It’s on another level. Films, television, literature, theatre, the volume of material that is based on them is vast, and of global interest: see The Crown right now.

Disliking the royal family is one thing, completely understandable anyone would take that view, disliking the big pot of money they generate is senseless.

15. deluded pom?

deluded pom? First Grade

Maybe I’m too close to them being in the UK. You people who live abroad must have a different perspective to me. I’m far from being in a tiny minority either.

16. roughyedspud

roughyedspud Coach

As a proud royalist...I think you can shove your opinion up ya bum ;) lol

17. deluded pom?

deluded pom? First Grade

Typical royalist. No class. I have visions of a saddo sat there wearing a union jack plastic bowler hat and waving a flag whilst drinking from his Harry and Meghan mug.

18. DC80

DC80 Juniors

Not a royalist either. Previously I’d have wanted the whole thing abolished, then I grew up, learned a bit, and came to my senses.

A gold mine as I’ve said, they have the X factor. You don’t chuck away that whatever your own personal feeling.

In an era where there are Kardashians, people famous for being famous who offer absolutely nothing, there is more than enough room for actual Royals.

There is a reverence to them that is almost Pope like (don’t get the adulation towards that position either, and I’m catholic). An expert in psychology could maybe shed some light on what it is that causes people to react in this way towards them. It can’t just be that humans like to look up to people in high positions, as political leaders are generally savaged, whereas religious leaders and royalty get almost constant praise.

19. President Trump

President Trump Juniors

The royal family is a great asset to the UK and Australia.

20. deal.with.it

deal.with.it Juniors

I never really saw it that way. Thought they were pointless and a waste of money.

Truth is, I’ve been to many royal sites as a tourist. So you’re right. They definitely keep London and England relevant. Without them, my opinion of English people would shift from posh Londoners to pommy s.lapper from Newcastle...