What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League is Dying

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well according to the experts of the last 120 odd years our great game has been dieing, here is an article by rugby historian Tony Collins on his rugby reloaded site http://www.tcollins.org/

120 Years of Rugby League
November 19, 2015

On 16 November I gave the after-dinner speech to the annual dinner of the UK’s Parliamentary Rugby League Group to mark the 120th anniversary of the founding of the Northern Union. This is a transcript of my remarks:​

"A Northern Union man all the way through."

We’re here to celebrate 120 years of rugby league, so I thought I’d start with a few quotations from what some people have said about the sport over the past century or so:
‘Rugby league is heading down the path to extinction.’ Sydney Daily Telegraph journalist, Rebecca Wilson in 2010.
‘Great game, rugby league, such a shame it has to die.’ - Frank Keating in the Guardian in 2001.
‘The game of rugby league itself will die.’ - John Reason and Carwyn James in The World of Rugby in 1979.
‘Rugby League is dying.’ - Former All Black captain and NZ MP Chris Laidlaw in 1973.
‘it is still dying.’ Daily Telegraph [London] in 1954 after the first rugby league world cup.
‘Rugby à Treize est mort.’ L’Auto in 1940.
‘Is rugby league doomed?’ Sydney Daily Telegraph (again!) in 1934.
‘Rugby League will be a nine day wonder.’ Sydney's The Arrow, 3 August 1907, when AH Baskerville's All Golds arrived in Sydney.
‘In a year or two, the Northern Union will almost be forgotten.’ Pall Mall Gazette, 30 September 1895, less than five weeks after the meeting at the George Hotel in Huddersfield that formed the Northern Union!
Well, rugby league is still here - and in extremely rude health. Today the game has 36 nations affiliated to the Rugby League International Federation; domestically it is played in every county in England. Even these barest of statistics would be beyond the comprehension of the men who formed the Northern Union at the George Hotel in August 1895.
The game they created has survived despite facing a level of hostility unique in world sport.
For a hundred years the rugby union authorities banned union players from playing rugby league - those that did were banned for life. The game wasn’t played in universities until 1968 and was not recognised by the armed forces until 1994. It was banned in France by Marshall Petain’s collaborationist Vichy government during World War Two.
Even today, as the arrest of rugby league organised Sol Mokdad in the United Arab Emirates demonstrates, rugby league pioneers sometimes face obstacles undreamt of by other sports.
Yet despite such obstacles the game goes on and is stronger than ever.
Why?
Most importantly, it’s a thrilling and spectacular athletic contest. Even before the split in 1895, the northern clubs placed a premium on handling, passing and running with the ball. The scoring of tries - rather than goals - became the object of the rugby league. And it has never been afraid to innovate to ensure that the sport remains ‘a game without monotony’, as Hull official C.E. Simpson put it when teams became 13-a-side and the play the ball the ball was introduced in 1906.
And rugby league has led the way for other sports too, introducing floodlighting, substitutes and Sunday matches before soccer or rugby union. The game was importing stars from around the world in the 1900s - stars like Albert Rosenfeld at Huddersfield, Lance Todd at Wigan and Jimmy Devereux at Hull were adding cosmopolitan glamour to rugby league decades before Premier League became a destination for soccer’s global stars.
The sin bin and video ref - staples of many sports today - were pioneered in rugby league. And it was the second major sport after soccer to organise a world cup tournament when the first-ever Rugby League World Cup was held in France in 1954.
But I think that the game has survived and expanded around the world for more than just what happens on the pitch.
Because what makes rugby league so unique is that it is a sport founded on a principle. The Football Association was created to draw up a common set of rules for all football clubs. The RFU was founded to standardise rugby rules and organise international matches. The MCC was founded to play cricket, and to regulate gambling on the game.
But the Northern Union was founded on the principle of equal opportunity for all - that everyone should be allowed to play rugby to the highest level of their ability, regardless of their school, their status or their social background.
The clubs that met at the George Hotel in August 1895 legalised broken-time payments because they felt that it was the only way that players who spent their working week in a factory, on the docks or down a mine would be able to play on equal terms with the doctors, lawyers and accountants who played for socially elite clubs. No-one, felt the Northern Union pioneers, should lose wages in order to play the game they loved.
This principle of equality of opportunity has been at the heart of rugby league ever since 1895. It was what drew the rugby players of Australia and New Zealand to start rugby league down under in 1907 and 1908. It was the principle that Jean Galia and his fellow pioneers followed when they established rugby league in France in the 1930s.
And it has meant that rugby league welcomed black players into the game at a time when other sports had turned their backs on them. George Bennet was capped for Wales in 1935, fifty years before Glen Webbe became the first Welsh black union international. Jimmy Cumberbatch was capped for England in 1936, forty years before Viv Anderson became England’s first black soccer international. And when Clive Sullivan lifted the RLWC trophy for GB in 1972, he did so as the first black captain of a British national team in any sport.
And while no-one would claim that the sport is free of prejudice or chauvinism, it has also a notable record of women’s involvement, from supporters’ club officials in the 1930s, to the women’s teams that played in Workington in 1954 to Julia Lee becoming the first senior match official in any football code in the 1980s.
But this principle of equality of opportunity has also allowed working-class people could play a leadership role in society. So in 1910, the first Northern Union touring side to Australia and NZ was led by Jim Lomas, a docker. The 1914 tourists were led by Harold Wagstaff, a delivery driver.
Until relatively recently, outside of the trade unions, working people did not hold leadership positions in society. Nor until the 1960s did they usually travel abroad, unless in the armed forces or as emigrants.
For a docker and a driver to lead a group of men to a country 14,000 miles away was therefore unprecedented. Until the 1950s cricket sides were always captained by privately-educated amateurs, and the England soccer side didn’t even play in the world cup until 1950, let alone tour other countries.
This, I suspect, goes some way to explaining the popularity of rugby league in Australia and the industrial regions of New Zealand - they could identify with British teams because the tourists were people just like the mass of ordinary Australians and Kiwis.
So rugby league’s strength has always been about more than the thrilling spectacle on the pitch. At its heart was the principle that ordinary people should have the opportunity to develop their talents to their fullest extent.
When Harold Wagstaff wrote his autobiography in the mid-1930s he began with the words: ‘I am a Northern Union man all the way through’.
This was more than a declaration of mere sporting affiliation. It was a acknowledgement of pride in the achievements of not just himself, but of a sport that allowed working-class men like him to develop their talents to the full and to take their place at the head of their communities.
And to that extent, 120 years after the historic decision to breakaway from the RFU was made, we should all be Northern Union men and women today.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
When it finnally dies, can the funeral be on a Friday? I'll swap an RDO and make a long weekend of it.

GongPanther

Referee
Union in this country,can't get over the fact that our product is a far more superior one than theirs.

Rugby League communicates to the masses.It is not elitist.

It is the most popular winter sport in the entire country,as even the AFL will admit that,albeit not publicly.

Yes,Rugby League is certainly dying,and will continue to die for many,many years to come.

In fact,we have a wake every year in the form of a Grand Final at the end of the season to mark the passing of the death of our sport.:lol:

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
What Rugby League has in its favour is the skeleton of a terrific sport.
It is presently vulnerable to other codes as it is so badly run, but if weakened sufficiently it may be forced into a position where necessary changes are actually implemented. Thats when the code might thrive.

Delboy

First Grade
The biggest obstacle is giving that political,animal and survivor, Greenberg the opportunity to front the game

No faith in him at all, would rather make statements on radio to showcase his images . Once Smith showed he wouldn't cop the clubs and News Ltd interference, he was gone and they appointed an internal person that fitted their model

A sad day

T-Boon

Coach
The biggest obstacle is giving that political,animal and survivor, Greenberg the opportunity to front the game

No faith in him at all, would rather make statements on radio to showcase his images . Once Smith showed he wouldn't cop the clubs and News Ltd interference, he was gone and they appointed an internal person that fitted their model

A sad day

So true. Smith probably started talking about a second Brisbane team and other such expansion talk. That is RL suicide.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Of course league is dead. The Dragons and Blues are shit and couldn't score in a brothel with a fist full of 50s. :sarcasm:

LeagueXIII

First Grade

A sad day

Sad but so true....

Pommy

Coach
Union in this country,can't get over the fact that our product is a far more superior one than theirs.

Rugby League communicates to the masses.It is not elitist.

It is the most popular winter sport in the entire country,as even the AFL will admit that,albeit not publicly.

Yes,Rugby League is certainly dying,and will continue to die for many,many years to come.

In fact,we have a wake every year in the form of a Grand Final at the end of the season to mark the passing of the death of our sport.:lol:

In this country? I can't believe worldwide people still prefer to watch an inferior version.

The idea the game is dying seems odd to me. We've just got a pro team in North America announced and back home it feels like League could stand to gain from people having a gut full of football and the way the game has gone. I know interest in the SL among my friends has certainly grown in the last few years.

Last edited:
No other sport get it's demise predicted annually like rugby league, it's the only code that get constant negative media from all angles and the littlest minor details get under the microscope. Since rugby league was formed, the other code supporters want it gone no other code get this treatment.

LESStar58

Referee
In this country? I can't believe worldwide people still prefer to watch an inferior version.

The idea the game is dying seems odd to me. We've just got a pro team in North America announced and back home it feels like League could stand to gain from people having a gut full of football and the way the game has gone. I know interest in the SL among my friends has certainly grown in the last few years.

You only have to look at how the game has been treated/goverened in places like Italy, France, South Africa and the UAE to see just how much potential league has.

some11

Referee
If the game didn't die after the number of external agends and scandals it has produced then it never will :lol:

mongoose

Coach
No other sport get it's demise predicted annually like rugby league, it's the only code that get constant negative media from all angles and the littlest minor details get under the microscope. Since rugby league was formed, the other code supporters want it gone no other code get this treatment.

It's just something Union and AFL followers say to feel better about their own slow ass boring sports. "Yep, League is dying, give it 5 years"

Card Shark

Immortal
League isn't dying but SOO is.

Having said that...apparently the biggest ratings in Wednesday.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing with the product on display.