What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Live 4 confirmation

Walt Flanigan

Referee
To be fair it wasn't that obvious that it was a special pretty boy wanker edition given they both have him on the cover.

As for it being a stretch - how? Basically all that's been shown is they retail for the same as regular editions, which is pretty well in line with what the theory behind scale would suggest.

Remember the point I was refuting was that RLL details for 20-30 bucks MORE than titles like FIFA.
Well given that FIFA retails for $79 at JB Hifi, that point has legs.

RoosTah

Juniors
Gamesmen has one store. You have to pay postage if you order online.

Well if that's not to your liking Big W have sold the past few for $70.

Anyway though, as I said in my first post this is kinda beside the point if you're argument is about the veracity of invoking economies of scale to explain the price point to quality issues these games have.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Don't really care. Just thought it was odd to use the most expensive version of FIFA 18 and compare it to a standard version of RLL

RoosTah

Juniors
Don't really care. Just thought it was odd to use the most expensive version of FIFA 18 and compare it to a standard version of RLL

Well I just thought it was weird to claim the game was retailing for $20-30 above those games when empirically they aren't and then use that claim in a demonstration of ignorance about how economies of scale work.

For me it was more just a frustration with how many people just don't get this stuff. There's this predictable BS every single f**king time from people. Yeah, these games are gonna cost in the upper range, and yeah they're gonna be average compared with titles like FIFA. That's just the way the market works.

natheel

Coach
I thought the gameplay of legend AI v AI was a much better indicator than the guy playing the GF replay. Looks a bit better. I can see they can't just throw it wide and easily get around defences. Wingers can actually defend. I'll buy it as these games need support if we want a bigger company to get involved.

axl rose

Bench
Was just watching Lazy Game Reviews on youtube and he picked a random disc to play on his 486 from 1995. It had a logo editor on it that is better then BigAnts. A minor thing but why bother.

Last edited:

MKCS

Juniors
Fun fact: One of the early Rugby games on the PS2 has a World Cup feature in which you picked your team from a list of all available players and took your chosen side to the World Cup. This could be a team of complete amateurs if you wanted it to be.

Since then we've had Rugby League 1, Rugby League 2, Rugby League 2: World Cup Edition, Rugby League 3, Rugby League Live 1, Rugby League Live 2, Rugby League Live 2: World Cup Edition, Rugby League Live 3 and soon Rugby League Live 4.

If this feature isn't included in the coming game (And I don't think it is because they'd probably advertise that one) then this would be 9 games without a feature that was available in a Rugby Union game over ten years ago.(Closer to fifteen at this point)

Looking forward to yet another game where this feature is left out and career mode Origins and World Cups are completely unrealistic with their player choices. Why not allow us to pick our own teams and actually do our own scouting to ensure the best team possible? That would be fun...

Arnold

Juniors
They released another video and again those who are playing the game are embarrassingly poor.

It's not showcasing the new features at all and is typical of the way this game is marketed every time.

axl rose

Bench
They released another video and again those who are playing the game are embarrassingly poor.

It's not showcasing the new features at all and is typical of the way this game is marketed every time.

The commentary sounds pretty bad. Nice try by THE BRONCOS. Here we are for a match between THE BRONCOS and THE RABBITOHS. No dig deal, ill turn it off but this is the 4th game in the series right, a little more polish would be nice.

Last edited:

BTown324

Juniors
Well I just thought it was weird to claim the game was retailing for $20-30 above those games when empirically they aren't and then use that claim in a demonstration of ignorance about how economies of scale work.

For me it was more just a frustration with how many people just don't get this stuff. There's this predictable BS every single f**king time from people. Yeah, these games are gonna cost in the upper range, and yeah they're gonna be average compared with titles like FIFA. That's just the way the market works.
Ok mate fair enough. How about this

The game is shittier than it should be. They price it higher than it's worth. And relying on the market being nice guys and saying oh well they tried hard with less cash is not a justifiable excuse. Many of their errors have nothing to do with lack of budget or resources.

axl rose

Bench
Much better then previous footage. The predator type thing is interesting. Looks like on the Raiders 'set play' it was to have your fullback sweep into the line?

Last edited:

RoosTah

Juniors
Ok mate fair enough. How about this

The game is shittier than it should be. They price it higher than it's worth. And relying on the market being nice guys and saying oh well they tried hard with less cash is not a justifiable excuse. Many of their errors have nothing to do with lack of budget or resources.
Yeah, I don't know if you read my earlier post on this, but to reiterate that's not what the whole market thing is about:

Pointing out that economies of scale limit what a developer can do with a tiny sport like Rugby League whilst also demanding that the price point be at the higher end for games is a simple statement of fact - it's not a value judgement on what's "ok". It's just how the economics of game development stack up - no more nor less than that.

People here like to hate on BA because their games are average and their CEO is a bit of a douchebag, but to be frank it wouldn't matter who was developing it because the market simply isn't anywhere remotely large enough to justify the investment and IP necessary to meet the standards everyone have thanks to the mega sports like soccer, Basketball or American Football.

People have short memories too - before BA, Sidhe never got much love for their work with League (in fact their CEO says he's glad never to work on another footy title ever again because of the abuse he copped), Wickedwitch did bugger all with Union and BigBen's work for the Euro union market was outright panned by fans and critics to a degree not even BigAnt have suffered.

That last para is kinda what people always seem to lose sight of. League is a smaller sport with a smaller revenue base than union, and yet if anything Union games have been consistently WORSE than their league counterparts over the past 10-15 years, so I'm not really sure it's even fair to say that these games of BA have been "worse than they should be"...

I mean, given that the market fundamentals should ensure union games are consistently higher quality, it may even be the case that the league titles are better than they should be, all things considered.

Latest posts