What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League rebranded?

Perth Red

Post Whore
An interesting shift seems to be happening since the arlc took over the game with the use of rugby league to describe the sport being gradually phased out and replaced by NRL. Australian Rules football did similar and now kids say they play AFL rather than Aussie rules. Will kids in the future consider themselves playing NRL rather than rugby league? For AFL it doesn't matter as they have little by way if international presence but for rugby league what would this shift mean internationally? We have allowed union to claim "Rugby" (sic), are we heading down a road that will see us stop using rugby league all together and become the code of NRL?

The branding of the touch football link up is the latest and most obvious example of this.

Given the rebranded logos include "rugby league" on them are we creating a confusing situation between NRL and RL?

Good or bad thing?

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
A bit meh about it.

In rugby league you can shoulder charge and fight, in NRL you can't.

Does anyone know if you can shoulder charge and fight under international rules?

elbusto

Coach
At the NRL's States meeting in March a couple of smaller States, (Tassie and SA) discussed potentially calling ourselves NRL Tasmania and NRL South Australia instead of Tasmanian Rugby League etc.

Makes sense.

Kids want to play 'NRL'.

BunniesMan

Immortal
NFL has gone down that route also. Plenty of Aussies name that sport "NFL". It has helped the brand.

League does need to be differentiated from that other rugby. There are plenty of Australians who think Origin and what the Wallabies play is the same thing. They think it is all "rugby". Plenty of Aussies in the non heartland states, southerners in England, Americans.

It hurts brand development.

Kids dream to play in the NRL. While the official name should continue to be "Rugby League" the common speaking term should be "NRL". It will piss of the traditionalists but it will help the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I have for a few years hoped that they would brand it this way nationally.

Personally i still dont feel right calling the local game NRL just out of habbit of thinking of the National Comp, but recently i have heard more and more younger players calling it NRL, which is a good thing.

I know alot of people will keep calling it "League", but its the same as AFL. whenever im in Melbourne, everyone knows im from out of state because i dont say Football and they hate the league for branding it AFL. They dont appresiate how good that is for their marketing, when they are they are behind 2 or 3 other "football' codes.

NRL might catch on in NSW and QLD, but its mostly for Melbourne, WA and probably New Zealand

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's a good thing. It's all about awareness. Everyone knows the AFL here, the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc in the USA. It won't cause any confusion IMO.

clarency

Juniors
Bad thing. I don't think enough respect is given to state leagues and people referring to the sport as NRL is pretty much continuing that trend.

Not to mention the international game.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think it's a great idea. As long as the word 'Rugby' appears in the name, the vast majority of people on earth are going to assume it's the same as that other sport.

supercharger

Juniors
It's a good thing. It's all about awareness. Everyone knows the AFL here, the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc in the USA. It won't cause any confusion IMO.

Don't like it, there's more to rugby league than just the NRL.
Also when i played junior hockey we never said we were playing NHL, same as when I played highschool football/basketball
no one ever said that we played CFL/NFL or in the association.
It's stupid.

DC_fan

Coach
Saying, I am going to the NRL this weekend as opposed to saying I am going to the Rugby League, League or footy this weekend just doesn't sound right.

Latest posts