What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League rebranded?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This AFL lackey can third the motion.

I dont know. YOURE the one who doesnt wants RL expand

So the sport that threw over its entire ethos for existing in 1996 to basically adopt the same model as RL 'won the war' did it? Sounds very Zavos like. I have heard that twit maintain the same thing. That deserves a :joy:

Actually, i think thats a perfect example of them "winning the war".

They adapted to the reality of the situation and picked their battles (go pro or be condemned to the tiny heartlands). RL, on the other hand, clings to its delusions and refuses to face reality (Pick a unique brand or be condemned to the tiny heartlands)

POPEYE

Coach
RL as a reasonable facsimile of the game it was intended to be should survive long enough to see me out . . . hopefully by the time it metamorphoses into The Block/MKR/Bachelor/NFL I'll just be dust

So you want RL at expand but you also want a name only the hard-core fan will understand?

Genius, you are....
So you couldn't find any. Colour me surprised, lineout cup.

I'd say someone who wants to change the entire name and associated IP of a sport that is 122 years old because they didn't like a gift with a lineout on it some moron relative gave him is a true genius. Well done.

Mensa awaits. :joy:

They adapted to the reality of the situation and picked their battles (go pro or be condemned to the tiny heartlands). RL, on the other hand, clings to its delusions and refuses to face reality (Pick a unique brand or be condemned to the tiny heartlands)
Speaka the English. You would agree with a Zavos thesis. :joy:

So let me get this right - rugby league can never grow because of its name? Yet it has grown more internationally in the last 30 years than in all of the years previous combined - while still having the same name...

That's quite an intellectual exercise you have going there, lineout cup. :joy:

If someone had come up with an appropriate name i'm sure we would have changed it. How about Elisball? Elis, not Ellis is the correct spelling.

An interesting shift seems to be happening since the arlc took over the game with the use of rugby league to describe the sport being gradually phased out and replaced by NRL. Australian Rules football did similar and now kids say they play AFL rather than Aussie rules. Will kids in the future consider themselves playing NRL rather than rugby league? For AFL it doesn't matter as they have little by way if international presence but for rugby league what would this shift mean internationally? We have allowed union to claim "Rugby" (sic), are we heading down a road that will see us stop using rugby league all together and become the code of NRL?

The branding of the touch football link up is the latest and most obvious example of this.

Given the rebranded logos include "rugby league" on them are we creating a confusing situation between NRL and RL?

Good or bad thing?
Can we just call it 'No Perth ball? '

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The new international RL broadcast app being called "Watch NRL"...

This will include Origin and Internationals i assume, so not just NRL. Seems pretty telling, the ARLC is keen to push "NRL" as the brand for the whole sport.

If fox can get the ESL international rights, i wouldnt even be suprised if they still just put it under the "Watch NRL" banner...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If someone had come up with an appropriate name i'm sure we would have changed it. How about Elisball? Elis, not Ellis is the correct spelling.

Hahah, worse than "Rugby'.

Rather than naming the sport after a smobby south England town, you want to name the sport after a snobby, private school kid from south England.

I dont really think that is the history RL wants to be pushing....

Perth Red

Post Whore
The new international RL broadcast app being called "Watch NRL"...

This will include Origin and Internationals i assume, so not just NRL. Seems pretty telling, the ARLC is keen to push "NRL" as the brand for the whole sport.

If fox can get the ESL international rights, i wouldnt even be suprised if they still just put it under the "Watch NRL" banner...

Didn't Grant or Toddy come out last year and say they were going to refocus on using rugby league over NRL to describe the game?

You two muppets should let the door hit you in the arse on the way out...

As much as I personally favour a Perth team, Perth twit could make the most diehard advocate change sides in that discussion. :joy:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Didn't Grant or Toddy come out last year and say they were going to refocus on using rugby league over NRL to describe the game?

Did they? They dont seem to have done so...

You two muppets should let the door hit you in the arse on the way out...

As much as I personally favour a Perth team, Perth twit could make the most diehard advocate change sides in that discussion. :joy:

Typica DTP. doesnt want the game to grow. You cant expect much else from this one though

(Are you Stallions second account?)

Did they? They dont seem to have done so...

Typica DTP. doesnt want the game to grow. You cant expect much else from this one though

(Are you Stallions second account?)
You still haven't answered how the game has managed to grow more in the last 30 years than all years previously - with the same name, lineout cup. :joy:

Going well. Good luck with the rah rah presents this year...

You still haven't answered how the game has managed to grow more in the last 30 years than all years previously - with the same name, lineout cup. :joy:

Going well. Good luck with the rah rah presents this year...

Oh ffs, we cud have had more government funding if we had changed our name yrs ago, granted could have. But we need a new name.