What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League TV coverage before 1998

I used to love Saturday afternoon footy. 3pm kick off. Live. Curled up on the couch, on those cold early-mid 1990s leading in to the early dusk of a winter evening.

One of my memories was Ainscough kicking a left foot field goal at Campbelltown vs Magpies to win a game. Must have been 1995.

EDIT: It was 1995.

siv

First Grade
I would love to see reruns of the old midweek Amco Cup from 1974 to its end

You have to wonder how many of these broadcast matches do we still have ?

Life's Good

Coach
I would love to see reruns of the old midweek Amco Cup from 1974 to its end

You have to wonder how many of these broadcast matches do we still have ?
Back catalogue of games should make up a good proportion of the Fox NRL content instead of the self congratulating, nepotism led repeatathon on there most days.

POPEYE

Coach
Fields of the 60's and 70's were equal to the media coverage and about as bad as you can get . . . in comparison from colour tv Amco Cup broadcasts in '74 until now there's no reason to complain

OVP

Coach
I see fertilizer and water was invented after 1992...... FMD that field is a disgrace.

You should have seen when league matches were held at North Sydney Oval. They didn't call it Concrete Park for nothing. Plenty of injuries came about as a result of playing on that ground.

racer69

Juniors
What would the last Premiership game played that wasn't televised?

I'm thinking 1996? I went to Penrith vs Souths that year at Penrith Stadium, no camera's there except for one at the top of the grandstand that provided footage with no commentary for the news services

Mr Spock!

Referee
I remember as a kid watching Sydney league match of the day on abc at around about 11pm on a Tuesday night.

Life's Good

Coach
This might bring back some memories. Taken from a game televised by the ABC on a Saturday in 1992 -

Jason Williams could sure score a try but remember him one by dropping it in the in goal as he looked around before putting it down. Must have been around 1994 & pretty sure the Dogs lost.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What would the last Premiership game played that wasn't televised?

I'm thinking 1996? I went to Penrith vs Souths that year at Penrith Stadium, no camera's there except for one at the top of the grandstand that provided footage with no commentary for the news services

1998 was the season where some games were not televised anywhere

So to answer your question, I'm guessing it would've been Wests Vs Penrith at Campbelltown that year, last round of the competition.

Canard

Immortal
1998 was the season where some games were not televised anywhere

So to answer your question, I'm guessing it would've been Wests Vs Penrith at Campbelltown that year, last round of the competition.

When was the last time that FNF wasn't shown live(at least one game)?

I seem to recall it being around the time of Burkes Backyard being axed.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
2006 was the last year of Friday night delayed games anywhere, so probably that Bulldogs Broncos semi although cant exactly remember if that game was live or not.

If all semi finals were live that year then the Cowboys Eels games in the last round would've been the one.

Unless there was some breaking news story about politics which delayed the coverage on 9.

carcharias

Immortal
You should have seen when league matches were held at North Sydney Oval. They didn't call it Concrete Park for nothing. Plenty of injuries came about as a result of playing on that ground.
I played a C grade grand final at kogarah once.
Late 80’s
It’d rained solid for the week leading up and we must’ve been about the 10th game to be played on it.

Blokes shoes were getting stuck in the mud and coming off .
It was ridiculous.
There was about a metre on each sideline that you could actually run in...but every time some tried it you get taken over the side.
You literally couldn’t run.
Ended up 0-0
Extra time and all
In the end they just gave up and called it a joint premiership.

I vaguely recall it being the only 0-0 grand final ever or I 100 years or some stat.
Blokes walked off looking like the old winfield cup trophy.

Latest posts