What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Week: End of an era

Wizardman

First Grade
http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...rtals-best-ever-nrl/slbo46xjp0nn1r4g9xye8dkkv

One of the game’s great institutions is gone after Rugby League Week magazine was killed off after being bought by the NRL.

Publishers Bauer Media has not made any official announcement, but staff were told on Thursday that the magazine will cease after two more editions.

It’s understood the NRL has no plans to continue publishing the magazine, but wanted to buy the publication to take control of the Immortals concept.

The Immortals was launched by Rugby League Week in the 1980s and the magazine has resisted repeated attempt to relinquish ownership.

The NRL has long wanted to bring the Immortals concept under its umbrella.

Launched in 1970, Rugby League Week was once known as the game’s bible.

Many of rugby league’s best-known writers have worked for the magazine and covered some of the game’s biggest stories.

But dwindling sales in recent years forced Bauer’s hand, with RLW added to the many mastheads cut down by the media group.

“We knew the writing was on the wall but it’s still a very say day,” a RLW staffer told Sporting News.

Im amazed nobody has posted anything about this story. I guess websites like this one led to its downfall. I do hope the NRL do not devalue the Immortal concept by doing something dumb like making an immortal every year.

Nuke

Staff member
This is indeed a sad day. RLW is the only Rugby League magazine that can be bought pretty much in any newsagents anywhere in Australia. Being a League lover outside the League heartland states such as myself here in WA, ever since I was a kid it was awesome to go to the local newsagency and get the RLW every Thursday evening (or Monday, as it was a couple of years ago ... which was a silly idea I thought). I'm now 36 and still do it. I shudder at the thought of how much money I've spent on every RLW for the last 18 or more years!!

I was about to let my Big League subscription expire as it never arrives before the weekend anymore (sometimes up to Thursday the following week for some stupid reason) and the RLW was there before the first game that weekend kicked off. I may still do so for the reason I just stated, but I will have to weigh it all up with more scrutiny now.

RIP RLW.

It was shit and run by a bunch of merkins so who cares.

What's worse is the NRL spending the game's money on a company it then shuts down just to own a stupid concept that is equally as irrelevant as the magazine itself. This game is run by the most incompetent f**ktards in the history of sport.

Emu01

Juniors
It's sad but you have to move with technology.I used to buy The Rugby league week all the time, but since smart phones have come in, I get all my information from the Rugby league apps now.

No need to buy a magazine just tap with your thumb and all the information is at your fingertips literally.

Canard

Immortal
Brilliant contribution. You should work for RLW or the NRL. You do for interweb forums what they do for RL journalism and administration respectively.

As opposed to the drivel you just put forward? What did that "add" to the discussion?

FMD, I'm no Happy Gilmore, but your going to put yourself in an early grave with your world view.

As opposed to the drivel you just put forward? What did that "add" to the discussion?

FMD, I'm no Happy Gilmore, but your going to put yourself in an early grave with your world view.
It was a very f**king clear point. If you can't grasp it you really do belong at NRL hq with the kind of mongs who think spending money on buying a concept, that is a stupid concept to begin with, is a great way to spend the game's money when there's about a million more important things that need to be done.

Im amazed nobody has posted anything about this story. I guess websites like this one led to its downfall. I do hope the NRL do not devalue the Immortal concept by doing something dumb like making an immortal every year.

I was actually going to post this yesterday, but it was late in the day when I read it and I had to leave work not long after. I'm glad you've posted this news.

This is very saddening for me. I've been buying RLW on and off since I was a kid, and I learned a lot about the history of the game in my childhood years from the top 100 players of all time edition they released in 1992. I started buying it weekly again recently, and I was shocked when I read this story. I have multiple massive boxes filled with old RLW editions from 1989 up until 2017. I was actually going to see if I could sell them, but I may hang on to them now. My son may want to read them if he grows up to be a league fan. Then I can show him the history of the game.

I will be making sure I buy the last couple of editions.

RIP RLW, and thank you.

Hutty1986

Immortal
This is a huge shame, not just for the fans but budding RL writers around the country. Have never been much of a fan of Big League, and have bought RLW for years. Wonder how Big League's readership numbers compare? They'll be dancin' in the streets.

Hawkins

Juniors
No need to buy a magazine just tap with your thumb and all the information is at your fingertips literally.

I buy Gus Gould a pie weekly and he visits me while I soak in the bath and gives me all the goss.

Have you heard Paul Gallen is a soft cock?

Latest posts