What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Week: End of an era

TheFrog

Coach
I used to have a box full of old RLW's but I chucked them out during a move. I think I've got a single copy somewhere, from around 1981.

What's worse is the NRL spending the game's money on a company it then shuts down just to own a stupid concept

the kind of mongs who think spending money on buying a concept, that is a stupid concept to begin with, is a great way to spend the game's money

So how much money did they spend exactly ?

The silence is deafening from old man deli. You have no idea how much the NRL spent do you. Doesn't stop you mounting a world class, pointless, baseless, whinge-fest though does it.

Now back to plonking that crusty torn off bit of bread into your soup old man

old man soup kitchen.jpg

siv

First Grade
I used to have a box full of old RLW's but I chucked them out during a move. I think I've got a single copy somewhere, from around 1981.

These sort of thngs are tragic

Better to donate them to the Mitchell Library or your local Library

Mitchell desperatly needs the 2nd tier newer RL News or Sydney News magazines or club gameday newspapers

Your contribution could keep future RL historians busy for years

Some of notes in the older RL News are facinating to read

Paullyboy

Coach
I always preferred Big League. I tried following RLW on Facebook a couple of years ago, but it was painful clickbait (as others have pointed out). I can't say I'll miss it.

I agree with ECT's point about the stupidity of the NRL in buying the rights to the immortals.

The silence is deafening from old man deli. You have no idea how much the NRL spent do you. Doesn't stop you mounting a world class, pointless, baseless, whinge-fest though does it.

Now back to plonking that crusty torn off bit of bread into your soup old man

View attachment 11787
And you don't know either. But the fact is, they paid for it.

If it was 50c it's 50c too much.

Buy you'll defend anything those cretins do. Notice how the worm has turnd and now virtually everyone is seeing the NRL for incompetent tards they are? Just a few old circle jerkers left if in the circle. That sao is practically yours.

The only thing you're dunking is your cock is Greenberg.

He didnt have a point. Just a whinge.

What is so stupid about bringing it in-house ?
Because it's a stupid arbitrary concept that was literally just brainfarted by some magazine execs to sell magazines in the 80s and wheeled out randomly every now and then for the same purpose.

Only the most gullible of deadshits actually see it for anything more than that.

Because it's a stupid arbitrary concept that was literally just brainfarted by some magazine execs to sell magazines in the 80s and wheeled out randomly every now and then for the same purpose.

Only the most gullible of deadshits actually see it for anything more than that.

Typical old world old man cynical thinking.

Did you ever stop to think it may have future potential ? Dont worry deli boy, that was a rhetorical question.

Dunk dunk deli boy.

Typical old world old man cynical thinking.

Did you ever stop to think it may have future potential ? Dont worry deli boy, that was a rhetorical question.

Dunk dunk deli boy.
Yeah an idea from the 80s that ran in a defunct product in an obsolete medium has huuuge potential for the future.

And this sychofantic pillow biter tries to suggest I'm old and out of touch. f**k me.

LOL. I thought so.

Bitch and moan about the price they paid when you don't know what was paid. Nice one old man deli.
Lol. Wow you are young and hip.

You don't know how much it was. My point (clearly) is it doesn't f**king matter. If they paid ANYTHING of the game's revenue on that shit it proves how f**king incompetent these dickheads are. They are telling people they can't afford club grants but they can piss money away on this tripe.

Worst offer ever. Not with even with David Gallops d!ck would I take that offer up.

But you keep up with those psychotic, rage filled, spleen splitting, pointless expletive ridden outbursts tiger...

There really are some true nutters on here.

Dont forget to slop dip dunk deli boy

Lol. Wow you are young and hip.

You don't know how much it was. My point (clearly) is it doesn't f**king matter. If they paid ANYTHING of the game's revenue on that shit it proves how f**king incompetent these dickheads are. They are telling people they can't afford club grants but they can piss money away on this tripe.

We all knew you would say 50 cents was too much. Not an argument at all.

You dont know what they intend. And if it has anything to do with the history of the game (good or bad) then it should be in-house and controlled by the codes governing body.

It takes a special type of moron like you to not realise that though.

Cue....more outrage and condemnation by the crusty old one........

I'm surprised it wasn't gone sooner.

Most newsagents have bare magazine racks these days. They survive on cigarettes, lotteries and scratch cards.

All the gossip is online. All the clubs do their own puff pieces on young players, up and comers, warhorses etc.

They should have gone digital years ago and done it properly. But that doesn't sell either. A lot of people just read drivel and gossip...hence the continuing existence of the Telegraph.

Yes...it's sad. For me, it's about the pictures and the times. It's also those articles about some big name up and comer who never amounted to anything after that article and having a chuckle. Or the Special Editions they do every once in a while.

RIP RLW.

We all knew you would say 50 cents was too much. Not an argument at all.

You dont know what they intend. And if it has anything to do with the history of the game (good or bad) then it should be in-house and controlled by the codes governing body.

It takes a special type of moron like you to not realise that though.

Cue....more outrage and condemnation by the crusty old one........
I'm not the f**kwit that thinks calling someone old (who isn't) is an insult but then blows his load over a shit concept from the 80s.

Of course anyone who actually knows something about the sport knows we already have a hall of fame that is run by the governing body that is far more respectable and far more logical than a ridiculous gimmick from a failed magazine.

But like I said, you'd have to actually know about the sport and not just like the taste of Greenberg's jizz to consider that issue.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Use to buy RLW all time but switched to just buying Big League, because RLW didn't have the team lineups and only Big League did. May quit buying them altogether soon though.

TheDalek079

Bench
ECT. Yes the Immortals concept is a bit silly fun by a magazine to sell some issues (and i think the original launch had wine?), but to a lot of people it is recognition of the best players ever! (yes its restricted to the post war era, but do you really think people like IBM and BHP would know that?) It honours the game's elite, and is referenced so often by newspapers/commentators/fans/tv that the Immortals concept has real legitimacy so its ok for the NRL to want to continue that. So in that respect I do not have a problem with them buying the rights to it.

Knight76

Juniors
The Dally M's were thought up by a newspaper. I'm sure the motivation there was to sell more papers.

That concept seems to be going strong.

Whatever the league plans to do with it, I hope they do a better job than they have with the hall of fame. No new inductees since 2007!

What would I like to see? I'm glad you asked.

NRL buys the Immortals concept, integrates it with hall of fame to have base level hall of famers, and then, the immortals. Immortals can only be named from current hall of fame members.

Each year on grand final day inductees to the hall of fame are announced at the ground and live to air. 5 at a time can be added as there are a host of players deserving that are all ignored due to the NRL's lax attitude with honoring it's past players.

As time goes on, the number added each year can diminish.

Latest posts