What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Week: End of an era

Pedge1971

First Grade
1970 Tommy Bishop
1971 Bob Grant
1972 John Ballesty
1973 Johnny Mayes
1974 Arthur Beetson
1975 Bob Fulton
1976 Ray Higgs
1977 Mick Cronin
1978 Geoff Gerard
1979 Ray Price
1980 Kevin Hastings
1981 Kevin Hastings
1982 Kevin Hastings
1983 Phil Sigsworth
1984 Peter Sterling
1985 Ray Price
1986 Peter Sterling
1987 Peter Sterling
1988 Ben Elias
1989 Gavin Miller
1990 Mal Meninga
1991 Ewan McGrady
1992 Paul Langmack
1993 Steve Walters
1994 Cliff Lyons
1995 Laurie Daley
1996 Allan Langer
1997 Brad Fittler
1998 Andrew Johns
1999 Andrew Johns
2000 Andrew Johns
2001 Andrew Johns
2002 Andrew Johns
2003 Steve Price
2004 Nathan Hindmarsh
2005 Nathan Hindmarsh
2006 Luke Bailey
2007 Johnathan Thurston
2008 Billy Slater
2009 Jarryd Hayne
2010 Paul Gallen
2011 Corey Parker
2012 Ben Barba
2013 Corey Parker
2014 Jarryd Hayne
2015 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.
2016 Jason Taumalolo.

Easy to see why RLW named Johns an immortal. 5 years in a row...only Kevin Hastings comes close.

siv

First Grade
Interesting that RLW also has a concept of their Top 100 players in recent years also

Who were their #1 Top player over the years ?

I think this when RLW used to name a team.of the year

Noticed that the RLW player of the year and the #1 player in their Top 100 arent always the same

TheFrog

Coach
Easy to see why RLW named Johns an immortal. 5 years in a row...only Kevin Hastings comes close.
They've always had their favourites, both players and clubs. Hastings and Johns were champion players but there were many others equally deserving. Corey Parker in 2013 when his team ran 12th seems especially odd.

I rang my mum about a couple of cartons of RLW I'd saved from 1989-2000. All the super league era stuff.

Apparently, my old man recycled them...despite the DONT TOUCH OR YOU f**kING DIE labels.

Went with a near complete collection of Inside Edge and the 1989-1994 Hot Metal mags I had too.

merkins i tell you. So dirty right about now.

insert.pause

First Grade
The Mole sign on with Wide World of Sports
Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/05/04/...mole-wide-world-of-sports#XibG5M6HKD8qzlDr.99

The NRL owned the IP of 'The Mole' from the sale of RLW, along with its twitter account with a following of over 100k, and instead of leveraging it's popularity to drive traffic on NRL.com, they let it go to a rival rugby league website. All while they are spending $20m a year on the games digital strategy, which presumably is about driving web traffic to NRL.com & the club network. It may be a small thing, but its affirmation of the sheer lack of initiative by the NRL.

The Marshall

Juniors
The Mole sign on with Wide World of Sports
Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/05/04/...mole-wide-world-of-sports#XibG5M6HKD8qzlDr.99

The NRL owned the IP of 'The Mole' from the sale of RLW, along with its twitter account with a following of over 100k, and instead of leveraging it's popularity to drive traffic on NRL.com, they let it go to a rival rugby league website. All while they are spending $20m a year on the games digital strategy, which presumably is about driving web traffic to NRL.com & the club network. It may be a small thing, but its affirmation of the sheer lack of initiative by the NRL.
You have to question how many of the 100k Mole followers have even heard of rugby league.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Pity the Imaginary Immortal concept doesn't get buried with RLW

I think its pretty safe to say that the Immortals brand is better known than the Hall Of Fame, even if the Hall of Fame is a far better concept.

In the same way that they SHOULD be using the DallyM brand with the superior system of the RWL Player of the Year, the could use the Immortals brand with the HoF system.

POPEYE

Coach
I think its pretty safe to say that the Immortals brand is better known than the Hall Of Fame, even if the Hall of Fame is a far better concept.

In the same way that they SHOULD be using the DallyM brand with the superior system of the RWL Player of the Year, the could use the Immortals brand with the HoF system.
As long as the HOF can't be used to sell something it will always be disadvantaged by cockamamie rubbish like the immortals. Given the way KFC ingratiates the Bunker maybe Hall of Famers could be given a KFC Badge and their obligatory faces on billboards across the country

ed-grimley

Bench
As long as the HOF can't be used to sell something it will always be disadvantaged by cockamamie rubbish like the immortals. Given the way KFC ingratiates the Bunker maybe Hall of Famers could be given a KFC Badge and their obligatory faces on billboards across the country
And a year's supply of KFC.