What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Changes for 2014

JamesBrandy

Juniors
What ever happened to attacking players being penalised for walking off the mark once tackled? The amount of times they crawl a metre or two forward once tackled is crazy.

El Diablo

Post Whore
trainers should not be allowed on the field every time a team has the ball for a set of 6

they shit me

run on soon as their team gets the ball and then run off after the last tackle

anjado

Juniors
major rule changes in Rugby League since 1990 from memory

1990 - scrums as a contest are virtually dead from this point
1990 - I believe they changed the stripping rule. to make it illegal.
1990 - In goal judges
1991 - unlimited interchange
1991 - limited interchange (back to 4 per match)
1992 - Blood bin free interchange
1993 - 10 metre rule
1995? - Players unable to rake the ball back from the play the ball.
1995? - Players are no longer able to take a tap and run again if no markers present.
1995 - Players are no longer able to back up for first grade after playing in lower grades.
1997 - 40/20 rule
1997 - Team who scored kicks off (SL)
1997 - Video Referees (SL)
1997 - Zero tackle rule (SL) i think
1998 - Unlimited interchange
1998 - Referee's wired to sound.
1998 - You are allowed to strip the ball one on one
1999 - You are basically penalised for picking up and dumping the opposition onto their back. ie the above horizontal dangerous position rule.
1999 - Players are placed on report meaning sending off's become very rare.
2000 - Sin binning players basically becomes obsolete like scrum contests.
2000 - Video Referee rules on forward passes, later changed back to where he cannot.
2002 - interchanges limited to 12 per side.
2003 - Golden Point
2005 - Phil Gould bitches about the obstruction rule arter a bad decision,everyone seemed to understand the obstruction rule at the time. Now it is a huge complicated mess.
2006 - Warren Smith tries to get Adrian Morley banned for life after his shoulder slightly comes into contact with Ben Walker's head which would have been perfectly legal in the last game of 2005. No more accidental high shots.
2006 - interchanges limited to 10 per side.
2006 - Players no longer pack into scrums in their proper positions
2008 - chicken wing tackle, crusher tackle, rolling pin etc
2008 - Daine Laurie and Fui Fui Moi Moi are called over by the referee and one is penalised for tackling and playing too aggressively.
2009 - Two referees introduced to clamp down on wrestling and speed up the ruck.
2010 - The corner post no longer counts in regards to scoring tries.
2013 - The decoy runner isn't allowed to come into contact with the defence, changed back later in the year.
2013 - shoulder charges are banned due to player safety apparently.
2013 - All punches result in a player sent to the sin bin.

That is just off the top of my head some of the years might be out, but that is basically a summary of all the rules and certain changes which have happened in Ruby League in this time period i have a feeling i have missed some out.

Association football or soccer major rule changes since 1990

1990 - Offside law, the law was amended to adjudge an attacker as onside if level with the second-to-last opponent.

1992 - Pass back law, Goalkeepers are no longer able to pick the ball up when passed they are passed to by there teammates.

1998 - Tackles from behind are pretty much gone.

2011 - goal line officials.

2013 - goal line technology.

there may be more minor ones like larger benches but only 3 substitutes still remain, also the offside law has been tinkered with a bit but that is it to the best of my knowledge at least on the pitch.

One of these sports is the most popular in the world and has made 3 rule changes in this time which have and will benefit the game in future years.

Rugby League on the other hand is now broken due to non stop rule changes and interpretations which weren't necessary. Wrestling would have been clamped out completely if referee's had just sin binned any player caught doing it. But no we have to make changes and changes and changes. I don't know about you but of all the rule changes i have listed i think only the 40/20 has greatly benefited the game.

I think the product now isn't as simple to follow as it used to be nor as exciting. If others sports have shown us anything that rule changes should only be brought in to the benefit of the sport and make it a more entertaining spectacle.

How many rules have Rugby League brought in to greatly enhance the spectacle of the game ?

I am very worried about the future of the game. Unless their is a grand rethink of what the game should be, because what it is today is not what the game should be.

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
major rule changes in Rugby League since 1990 from memory

1990 - scrums as a contest are virtually dead from this point
1990 - I believe they changed the stripping rule. to make it illegal.
1990 - In goal judges
1991 - unlimited interchange
1991 - limited interchange (back to 4 per match)
1992 - Blood bin free interchange
1993 - 10 metre rule
1995? - Players unable to rake the ball back from the play the ball.
1995? - Players are no longer able to take a tap and run again if no markers present.
1995 - Players are no longer able to back up for first grade after playing in lower grades.
1997 - 40/20 rule
1997 - Team who scored kicks off (SL)
1997 - Video Referees (SL)
1997 - Zero tackle rule (SL) i think
1998 - Unlimited interchange
1998 - Referee's wired to sound.
1998 - You are allowed to strip the ball one on one
1999 - You are basically penalised for picking up and dumping the opposition onto their back. ie the above horizontal dangerous position rule.
1999 - Players are placed on report meaning sending off's become very rare.
2000 - Sin binning players basically becomes obsolete like scrum contests.
2000 - Video Referee rules on forward passes, later changed back to where he cannot.
2002 - interchanges limited to 12 per side.
2003 - Golden Point
2005 - Phil Gould bitches about the obstruction rule arter a bad decision,everyone seemed to understand the obstruction rule at the time. Now it is a huge complicated mess.
2006 - Warren Smith tries to get Adrian Morley banned for life after his shoulder slightly comes into contact with Ben Walker's head which would have been perfectly legal in the last game of 2005. No more accidental high shots.
2006 - interchanges limited to 10 per side.
2006 - Players no longer pack into scrums in their proper positions
2008 - chicken wing tackle, crusher tackle, rolling pin etc
2008 - Daine Laurie and Fui Fui Moi Moi are called over by the referee and one is penalised for tackling and playing too aggressively.
2009 - Two referees introduced to clamp down on wrestling and speed up the ruck.
2010 - The corner post no longer counts in regards to scoring tries.
2013 - The decoy runner isn't allowed to come into contact with the defence, changed back later in the year.
2013 - shoulder charges are banned due to player safety apparently.
2013 - All punches result in a player sent to the sin bin.

That is just off the top of my head some of the years might be out, but that is basically a summary of all the rules and certain changes which have happened in Ruby League in this time period i have a feeling i have missed some out.

Association football or soccer major rule changes since 1990

1990 - Offside law, the law was amended to adjudge an attacker as onside if level with the second-to-last opponent.

1992 - Pass back law, Goalkeepers are no longer able to pick the ball up when passed they are passed to by there teammates.

1998 - Tackles from behind are pretty much gone.

2011 - goal line officials.

2013 - goal line technology.

there may be more minor ones like larger benches but only 3 substitutes still remain, also the offside law has been tinkered with a bit but that is it to the best of my knowledge at least on the pitch.

One of these sports is the most popular in the world and has made 3 rule changes in this time which have and will benefit the game in future years.

Rugby League on the other hand is now broken due to non stop rule changes and interpretations which weren't necessary. Wrestling would have been clamped out completely if referee's had just sin binned any player caught doing it. But no we have to make changes and changes and changes. I don't know about you but of all the rule changes i have listed i think only the 40/20 has greatly benefited the game.

I think the product now isn't as simple to follow as it used to be nor as exciting. If others sports have shown us anything that rule changes should only be brought in to the benefit of the sport and make it a more entertaining spectacle.

How many rules have Rugby League brought in to greatly enhance the spectacle of the game ?

I am very worried about the future of the game. Unless their is a grand rethink of what the game should be, because what it is today is not what the game should be.

Wrestling ain't that simple anymore mate, maybe it never was. Define wrestling? What constitutes it? What would be something that you would sin bin someone for? You don't see shit like the chicken wings/knee twisting yada yada yada in most games, let alone most tackles, so why then has the ruck speed slowed down so much ?

Wrestling nowdays is by and large about getting numbers in tackles, holding them up, turning them around, putting them on their back etc. - anything to slow the play the ball down. The boutique ones like crushers, whatever are barely sighted anymore except for occasional brain snaps from serial offenders like Lima and Blair. Sin-binning those kind of plays is more than warranted but will do next to nothing to eradicate wrestling and slow footy.

Comparing us to Soccer is irrelevant in this regard anyway - Soccer has been entrenched as the world game long before RL got it's rule changing boner.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
No mention of Golden Goal, Silver Goal, etc. etc.

Regardless as if people say I only follow a sport due to the minimal number of rule changes.

anjado

Juniors
No mention of Golden Goal, Silver Goal, etc. etc.

Regardless as if people say I only follow a sport due to the minimal number of rule changes.

No but the game is very similar to how it has always been. The main evolution is tactically which is how it should be.

Rugby League has changed completely in the last 20 years and even 10 years. It hasn't really changed for the better either, tactically all the teams are similar to each other now.

Fair enough i forgot about golden goal etc but they were brought in and taken out again very quickly. It was one of the rules they brought in which wasn't needed and taken out very quickly. But it was just one not twenty like Rugby League has had during the same period.

I have forgotten numerous rule changes to Rugby League there have been far too many to list. I say again how many of the rules brought in, in the past 23-25 years have made the game a better spectacle ? How many of the rules have just been completely unnecessary and overreactions ?

In terms of how to combat wrestling i have no problem with wrestling ie getting numbers in the tackle and putting players on their back teams have been doing that for years.

It is more the ruck, after the tackle is completed which is the problem. Players are slow to get off the tackle player or holding down or arm around the ball sin bin repeat offenders for this.

Also the referee's going upstairs for nearly every single try ruins the flow of the game. Rugby League used to be a simple game now it is far more complicated with different interpretations of every minor detail.

I have just found my enjoyment of the game is lower and lower the standard of referring, creativity in attack and numerous other things have made the game more boring.

Teams should evolve tactically with the exception of the Bulldogs last season all teams have basically been playing the same brand of football for 5 years. Where as you used to have a greater variety of teams with different strengths tactically now they all do the same thing.

There are good teams in the competition the Roosters,Melbourne,Souths and Manly are all pretty good. The rest though are pretty mediocre and it has been this way for a good while.

We really need to think about what the game should be. Somethings today are far better then 20 years ago. Fullbacks the athleticism of wingers and the standard of goalkicking have improved the game. but again apart from the 40/20 of the numerous rules brought in what has improved the game ?

Are we better off now with 2 referees ?

Are we better off with nearly all tries being sent to the Video Ref who takes ages to award a decision and only get's it right about 80% of the time ?

Are we better off that Referee's are gutless and are afraid of making big decisions ?

Are we better off with prop's standing at five eighth in scrums ?

Are we better off with more interchanges allowed ?

Is player safety better off with more interchanges allowed ?

Are we better off without shoulder charges or being able to lift your opponent and put him on his back ?

Are we better off now that their is basically no contest for the ball and teams only worry about completing their sets and if the pass the ball out the back to the fullback move doesn't work we might score off a kick mentality that has flooded the game in recent years ?

I know most people probably wont agree with me and that is fine but i have been thinking about this a lot recently. I used to watch every single game i could now i only watch my own team play and the top 4 sides play each other. I realised the problem was the constant rule changes and interpretations which change season on season i can't really keep up with it anymore.

I just wish we could go back and make the game simpler where everyone knew what an obstruction was, where common sense was nearly always applied to everything from high tackles to obstruction to the milking of penalties and so forth.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
1 ref on field and 1 in the box. Not sure why we have linesmen. They do absolutely nothing and see nothing.
No babysitting players in tackles.
On field ref decision stands for foul play. If it gets missed, the judiciary deals with it.
On field ref doesn't have to give a decision and it doesn't carry weight to the outcome.
Slow the play the ball down a bit. This one out crap is boring.
I'd like to see the shoulder charge back, but they won't do it.

lazza

Juniors
Wrestling - in my view, the biggest gripe is wrestling. The thing with wrestling as gus always calls out is the third man in around the legs.

maybe they do have to limit the number of tacklers to 2 up to half way. I mean league is probably the only sport where we allow 4vs1. At least in union your buddies are allowed to help. This should speed up the game a lot and see more tackling around the legs.

Foul play - The other thing id like to see is 5 in the bin instead of 10. And once points are scored, they are back on.

And if you go on report and injure an opposition player who has to go off, the offending player can't come back on until the injured player does.

Interchange - also agree on some of the comments on reducing interchange to help little guys.

Penalties - I think the game is changing and refs are under so much scrutiny, maybe its evolutionary that.refs need to give more minor penalties where they don't kick for touch and just tap.

lazza

Juniors
And if the NRL wants overtime, it shouldnt be golden point, they should just play 5mins each way. that way refs wont be so scared to blow penalties.

Latest posts