What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor Mill

TheDMC

Bench
Hope disappeared a few months back. Took a few years.

A painless death and reincarnation is what is needed. Hopefully we come back with some brains, brawn, and heart. Time to start again - selling the club will be a great start.

ERLeague

Juniors
Slightly unrelated but gives a great insight into what the NZ Warriors need. Perhaps frustratingly for Warriors fans this article illustrates just how successful Melbourne have been with the help of the All Blacks and NZ juniors

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...b/news-story/c134592a4842c6b314fb0acc1883226f

Inside Australia’s most successful sporting club
MELBOURNE Storm wrapped up another minor premiership on Saturday night to confirm their ranking as Australia’s most successful football club in any code over the past 15 years.

Better than the Brisbane Broncos, Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney Swans, Sydney FC or any of the rugby teams.

And it doesn’t just happen by accident.

Super coach Craig Bellamy has pinched skills, drills and training ideas from the mighty New Zealand All Blacks to put the Storm on track for even more success this year.

He says a week with the All Blacks in Chicago last off-season was more beneficial than previous study tours to NFL franchises or any of the European soccer clubs he has visited.

This is how the Storm have become the benchmark club of all the footy codes.

THE ALL BLACKS

Every off-season Bellamy and his general manager of football Frank Ponissi head overseas to search for coaching ideas and sports science trends to keep the Storm on top of their game.

Last year they went to Chicago, where the All Blacks were based for a week, and received full access to coaches meetings, team talks, all the training sessions and social functions.

“It was the best week we’ve had as far as learning things go,” Bellamy says. “It’s helped our attack this year. It’s been a huge help skills-wise. The drills they do. Everything.

“You also learn how you want your team to be away from football. About their values and their culture. It’s very strong leadership with no bullshit.

“They are all so humble and so welcoming. It shows you don’t have to be an arrogant prick to be a good footy player. Not that it’s been a problem at our club, anyway.”

RECRUITMENT

No one is better than the Storm’s recruitment guru Paul Bunn, who used to work at the Broncos under the legendary Cyril Connell. Bunn is so good they’ve just extended his contract until 2020.

As we’re sitting in CEO Dave Donaghy’soffice on Friday, a text message with a photo arrives from Bunn, who is in New Zealand on a scouting mission.

“How about this Fijian boy,’’ he writes.

“196cm and runs 10.5 for the 100. Eighteen years of age. This kid can play. Leading tryscorer. Complete gun.”

Brodie Croft, Cameron Munster, Curtis Scott, Jahrome Hughes and Ryley Jacksare the next generation.

Still, you can’t just walk into this football club.

Bunn always checks the Facebook and Instagram pages of potential recruits.

He gets to know the parents and has a strict “no dickhead” policy.

“We work hard at not having big heads,” Ponissi says.

“We don’t have egos here. We like politeness and good courtesy. Being in Melbourne … unless you are Smith, Cronk or Slater … you’re just a normal bloke who walks down the street and no one knows you.”

MR MELBOURNE

Eddie McGuire is stunning in his praise of Collingwood’s next-door neighbours.

“Everyone in Melbourne barracks for the Storm,” he says.

“They’re a warm friend, not a competitor.

“They are very much part of the rich tapestry of sport in Melbourne. We’d be so much a lesser city without them on our sporting menu on weekends.

“I have a warmer regard for them than 17 other AFL clubs.”

McGuire is a massive fan of Origin and Kangaroos skipper Cameron Smith.

“Cam is one of the greatest sportsmen Australia has produced,” he says.

I ask him what Collingwood could learn from them.

“The professionalism to start with,” he says.

“You can go around the world to look at great organisations but sometimes they are literally right in front of your face.

“The Storm have the balance right between doing things in the community and being really great representatives and ambassadors for the sport in a foreign town.”

FAMILY CLUB

Being so far away in an AFL city, wives, partners, parents and children are embraced as much as the footy players.

This week Bellamy is hosting a dinner party at his home. It’s for the WAGS only. To thank them for being so supportive. To acknowledge the long and lonely hours without their partners on away-game weekends.

There are other things you notice, too. Like in the players’ room at their training headquarters. There is table tennis, an old pinball machine, couches, a television, fridge … and boxes in the corner full of kids’ games, puzzles, books.

It’s almost like a childcare centre. The players’ children are always around.

On Friday, Smith’s seven-year-old daughter Matilda is wandering around the football club office under the supervision of media manager Sarah Kalaja while dad trains.

Smith and his wife Barbara hosted a trivia night for players and partners last weekend.

There are so many examples of this family-friendly environment.

Bellamy’s son Aaron now works on the coaching staff. The mad coach you see on TV every weekend is an adoring grandfather who loves spending time with Aaron’s two children as much as he enjoys coaching the team.
SIMPLY THE BEST

Outside of the 2010 salary cap scandal, the Storm have not missed the finals under Bellamy, and they have played in six grand finals.

This makes them the most successful franchise in Australia of all the footy codes.

Only Geelong in the AFL have a slightly higher win percentage — but not the sustained success. They have missed the finals three times.

For the Storm, such is the demand for excellence, even 2014 was considered poor when they finished sixth.

Andrew Blowers, the former All Black, joined the club that year as a welfare officer.

“I couldn’t believe how down in the dumps everyone was. It was like it was a disaster,” he says.

That year Melbourne made some big changes.

They were touched up mid-season in a game against the Roosters and belted in the forwards. Straight after the game, Smith met Bellamy and Ponissi in their office.

It was there they decided they needed bigger forwards. They bought Dale Finucane from the Bulldogs and fast-tracked Jordan McLean.

“We also got hammered by the Bulldogs in the elimination final that year,” Ponissi says.

“It was confirmation we needed a bigger pack.

“At one stage, Mick Ennis started roughing up Cameron’s hair, like he does. Not one of our forwards ran in and showed Ennis it was unacceptable. Little things like that woke us up.”

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Bellamy knows that New Zealand has a lot to offer especially our rugby union. Heres 'Warriors expert' Paul Kent talking about breeding more Aussies in NZs ONLY team and we got Bellamy often looking at NZ resources. He will probably find the next NAS here in NZ meanwhile, we the Warriors, continue to look elsewhere.

Rich102

Staff member
"Still, you can’t just walk into this football club.

Bunn always checks the Facebook and Instagram pages of potential recruits.

He gets to know the parents and has a strict “no dickhead” policy.

“We work hard at not having big heads,” Ponissi says.

“We don’t have egos here. We like politeness and good courtesy. Being in Melbourne … unless you are Smith, Cronk or Slater … you’re just a normal bloke who walks down the street and no one knows you.”

Hell, if we checked their facebook pages or instituted a "no dickheads" policy we would have nobody left.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
None of this is new. Frank has a long association with rugby (particularly in Europe) & has utilised his contacts well. Has had Wayne Smith (as well as others - Andrew Blowers is an amazing resource btw) at the Storm on more than one occasion as well. Bunnie (Paul Bunn) is a great guy with an eye for talent as did his predeccessor, the late Darren Bell. Bell scouted & picked up at least one player in Storm's current squad whose background was rugby that at the time Dean Bell didn't even want to even consider.
As the article implies, character is first and foremost, with ticker & mental toughness. At Storm if you haven't got that you're soon moved on. Technique and the game can be taught but those two things have to be part of the package
The problem with the Warriors is they have rarely (if at all) looked outside of AK or RL for talent. One of the results of this is a sense of entitlement for many players from the U20s up, which the club has erroneously nurtured by giving them status before they've earnt it. Someone mentioned if Mannering was at Storm he'd be a superstar - damn right! He is exactly what the Storm look for.
But there isn't many more out of the current squad that have that inherent grounding & Kearney is having to make the most of what he's been handed, and in the first instance has to try & buy it in. Being part of the Storm culture he knows what's required & I believe that's what he's working on changing at the Warriors.
Just as an aside, how a person talks on camera doesn't necessarily mean they haven't got brains or know what they're talking about - Bellamy is diabolical ('you know', 'as I said', 'again' are every other word & I can guarantee that you could transpose any presser to any other game & it would fit).
As Bellamy & Ponissi show, success is about tapping into a whole lot of other avenues outside of RL. FWIW, I can see a lot more interaction here between the codes in the next couple of years - but then if results happen Kearney won't get the kudos from some of you guys :rolleyes:.
And no, I'm not a relative of his lol but I have met him on a couple of occasions during his tenure as Kiwis coach during the Four Nations - humble, polite and respectful guy. Was privvy to interacting with him & the team a few times along with other guests, who to a man remarked on the obvious respect of the players for their coach (and vice versa), and the players respectful accommodation and goodwill for the fans and public they came in contact with. That is no accident. Now, he may have enlisted other expertise in that campaign but as the article says, Bellamy does it - says to me that a good, intelligent coach would look to do just that.
Anyway, I hope Kearney gets the opportunity to do what he knows needs to be done however long it takes & hope that change of ownership doesn't reverse the clock.

ERLeague

Juniors
The Knights are hoping to learn in the near future if they have been successful in signing a third Brisbane player for next season: Kiwi Test prop Adam Blair.

Blair visited Newcastle last weekend to inspect the city and club's facilities. He is weighing up offers from the Warriors as well as the Knights and Brown admitted the Auckland-based club might have tabled a more lucrative offer.

"You would have to say that the Warriors are clear favourites to get him, I would have thought," Brown said.

"But how it turns out I don't know."

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Gubb has come out in the media and said he wouldn't have accepted a contract even if we offered one as he doesn't like where the club is headed.

Hopefully its a bit of proof that SK is making moves behind the scenes to shut down the gravy train and disrupt the shit culture.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Gubb has come out in the media and said he wouldn't have accepted a contract even if we offered one as he doesn't like where the club is headed.

Hopefully its a bit of proof that SK is making moves behind the scenes to shut down the gravy train and disrupt the shit culture.

I didn't read it that way at all. As much as I don't rate Gubb as a player, I have no doubt he works hard at training and gives his all every time he's in the footy club walls. Unlike a lot of his team mates.

And as for those SK moves behind the scenes, when you say you're going to march people, people aren't trying but you don't drop anyone...nah. I doubt he's doing a thing.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'd pay Graham the full $1 million he is required to be paid to play for us. He could really initiate some change in this place

Agreed.

And given the Storm get access to the ABs, I bloody hope we are doing so as well? Surely we could follow them for a month in September, given we are never playing that time of year??

ERLeague

Juniors
Prospective new NZ Warriors owner:

Davys has clear ideas on what kind of players he wants at the club and has already made enquiries with some, including former Warriors front-rower Suaia Matagi. Getting the best out of the club's existing talent is his first priority.

"You've got Shaun [Johnson] sitting in there - it's like having a Ferrari sitting in the garage, so you've got to find a way to get Shaun going.

"And Shaun can't be running at a brick wall all the time, he needs people to do that for him to create space, so I need some guys that can do that for him. Whether I can do that straight away or not, I don't know."

BLN2

Juniors
Matagi is a weird one to single out, a bench prop who got lazy and not offered another contract? He's probably matured and hardened since then, but still a odd ball one.

Not liking how public he's being when he hasn't even got a handshake deal. Media hores aren't what this club needs.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Matagi is a weird one to single out, a bench prop who got lazy and not offered another contract? He's probably matured and hardened since then, but still a odd ball one.

Not liking how public he's being when he hasn't even got a handshake deal. Media hores aren't what this club needs.

It also shows how limited he is in knowledge of the NRL and what makes a successful team...be wary of owners who want to meddle in who they want to see on the field rather than putting the club in a strong position to get the best possible on the field. Does not happen at the Storm - Bart (a kiwi btw) is busy at being influential at the NRL's governance level to try to change the gam tthere (right or wrongly with his ideas - who knows yet) but if that isn't where Davys' expertise and focus is , or his capability lies, he'll get chewed up and spat out by those who are there. Not faulting his desire to see the team do well but surely he should be focussed on the club being the best it can be??

TheDMC

Bench
It also shows how limited he is in knowledge of the NRL and what makes a successful team...be wary of owners who want to meddle in who they want to see on the field rather than putting the club in a strong position to get the best possible on the field. Does not happen at the Storm - Bart (a kiwi btw) is busy at being influential at the NRL's governance level to try to change the gam tthere (right or wrongly with his ideas - who knows yet) but if that isn't where Davys' expertise and focus is , or his capability lies, he'll get chewed up and spat out by those who are there. Not faulting his desire to see the team do well but surely he should be focussed on the club being the best it can be??

Yeah his comments not well considered.

The use of "I" this and I that .... Houston we have a meddler!

ERLeague

Juniors
An Auckland businessman eyeing up the New Zealand Warriors is embroiled in a legal stoush over a childcare centre.

Paul Davys, who co-owns ChoiceKids Ormiston in south Auckland, is in talks to purchase the stricken rugby league franchise.

However, Davys' childcare centre has been shut down by the Ministry of Education, who moved to prosecute after it was found to be operating without a licence.

The sudden closure has come after repeated warnings from the Ministry regarding the centre's certification, leaving parents "shattered".

Davys in talks to buy the Auckland-based NRL outfit, and said the closure came after there was a "misunderstanding" with the Ministry over their building's license.

He said he believed at the time they could legally use the centre as a "drop-in centre" for children while they waited for the licence to be approved.

"We got that wrong," he said.

The centre staff had only wanted to help families whose children were enrolled at the ChoiceKids, he said.

Former Kiwis international Peter Brown and Davys are co-directors of the business, which has four facilities across Manurewa and Clendon.

Davys said he was not aware the Ministry was looking to prosecute.

"I think they would be hard-pressed to prosecute. That's for sure."

He felt he did everything right in the process and his legal team were involved, he said.

Staff hoped the Ormiston centre would reopen in a few weeks. In the meantime, some children were being taken to other ChoiceKids centres.

Davys declined to comment further.

It was unclear when the centre first opened. However, a Ministry of Education official said they became aware of the centre operating without a licence in late July.

Deputy secretary Katrina Casey said the centre continued to illegally open for a time despite repeated warnings to cease operation.

"This was unacceptable and we commenced a prosecution."

Licensing requirements are not optional.

"Licensing rules are there for good reason – to protect the welfare of children and to ensure required standards are kept that support children's safety and wellbeing,"

As the centre was not licensed it was not receiving any operational funding from the Ministry of Education.

"We have provided assistance to parents who need to find alternate ECE arrangements," Casey said.

ChoiceKids has submitted a licence application for the Ormiston Road service which is currently being considered by the Ministry.

Father Eris Adam said his son Roman, 3, had only started at the centre a few weeks before it closed.

"I finished work and went to pick him up and they were giving us letters saying the school was closing. I was pretty shattered."

Roman was among children being bused to a different ChoiceKids branch each day.

Another parent, Ana, said it has been frustrating saga and wasn't concerned about the centre not having a licence.

"My son loves it there. The ministry has gone overboard. If I can trust my son to go there then it shouldn't be a problem. I trust the staff."

ChoiceKids sent parents a letter on August 14 telling them to "not attend" the building.

"The Ministry of Education have in our opinion acted unfairly and unreasonable in requesting that we shut down this facility," the letter stated.

Centre managers apologised to parents for the inconvenience.

Davys is high profile businessman in Auckland.

He went public on Sunday with his bid in to buy the club off Watson, setting a deadline of Friday for a deal to be struck.

Leber

Bench
Throw the bank at Graham and buy a prop from NSW cup/Queensland cup whos after a chance.

Also, if Mbye is being shipped around, have a looky at him. He and johnson wuld compliment each other pretty well.

No more f**king kiwi signings thanks you.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Throw the bank at Graham and buy a prop from NSW cup/Queensland cup whos after a chance.

Also, if Mbye is being shipped around, have a looky at him. He and johnson wuld compliment each other pretty well.

No more f**king kiwi signings thanks you.

Mbye is horrible. Even less of a first grader than the muppets we send out there every week.