What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor Mill

Iafeta

Referee
I rate him too. But then again, I follow the Warriors so things like kicking out on the full, kicking on the full in goal for 7 tackle sets, kicking it into the back signage, and passing it to the touch judge are similar to our standards so his level of derpitude would fit right in.

BLN2

Juniors
Yeah if he's going to the Knights.. it's a good example of what established NRL players think of our joint. At least at Newcastle things are looking upish, who knows how low we can get. He'd do well there, would almost complete their line up for next season.

If we lose the next 2 matches, even the most desperate players will avoid us, even more so than now. It's amazing what a winning feeling can do to a place over a long off season.

So, what over priced forwards can we pick up over the next couple months? Sounds like Lillyman isn't on SKs list. Losing both of our current starting props and signing no one is depressing, when our pack already sucks hard.

Iafeta

Referee
Lol what a truly pathetic club we are. We miss out, with massive overs, on a deal that is far too long for a bloke his age, to a wooden spoon outfit I'm guessing because the clubs prospects are more attractive. This despite him being close mates with our head coach.

So, if I read this right, we will lose

Lillyman
Matulino
Thompson
Hoffman
Foran
Vatuvei
Gubb
Lolohea
Allwood
Clark

And we have gained Santo, Harris, Pulu and

Wow, if that's not an abominable appalling failure I don't know what is. We are a bees pube from the wooden spoon this year, I'll throw some in the TAB kitty next year it's comfortably coming our way. Honestly it's diabolical. I have never seen the club in a worse hole.

Reactions: JJ
Blair is waiting for clarification around ownership. Still pretty confident he'll be here next year.

Graham won't be here for anything under $1.2m a year and the club is in no position to make an offer like that (even if they wanted to) with the ownership up in the air.

From what I've heard our potential new owner has been making a lot of noise during his club visits about a "bring them home strategy" over paying big money for foreign players.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Isn't the "bring them home" mentality our current one? Whether by design or lack of other options.

The ownership thing could drag on for weeks or months. Blair might not be able to wait it out.

vvvrulz

Coach
Isn't the "bring them home" mentality our current one? Whether by design or lack of other options.

The ownership thing could drag on for weeks or months. Blair might not be able to wait it out.

By design I feel, which is a terrible strategy going the exact opposite of what's worked for us before.

JJ

Immortal
From what I've heard our potential new owner has been making a lot of noise during his club visits about a "bring them home strategy" over paying big money for foreign players.

Well he runs day-care centres so could be well qualified

Heard him talking to Veitch the other day - difficult to discern who was more full of shit - swore I'd never listen to Veitch again, so that was a big mistake anyway

Somewhat. But I think this will be more by design. Current signings have been more by opportunity. We are taregetting Aussies at the moment too, we just aint getting them.

JJ

Immortal
Graham won't be here for anything under $1.2m a year and the club is in no position to make an offer like that (even if they wanted to) with the ownership up in the air.

But he has a contract with the Dogs, so they would have to pay a big chunk, surely?

Rich102

Staff member
Sad thing is, with our current performances, the recruitment of overseas players is only going to get harder, whilst our best locals are going to head overseas.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I can somewhat see what SK is doing. He is filling the reserve grade side with capable players such as Cherrington, Santo etc. A few more signings like that is what is going to help us be able to compete and is what we need asap. Start getting players in that are looking for their next shot, thats been our success in the past eg the Rovelli's, Witt's, Gatis's, Mckinnon's, Fien's and Luck's. Take the big fish when they present, but don't sell your soul to get them.

Get these grafters in that will make our pretty boys (SJ, RTS, Fusitua, Hingano, Luke) look pretty again

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Somewhat. But I think this will be more by design. Current signings have been more by opportunity. We are taregetting Aussies at the moment too, we just aint getting them.

I guess this is the part that makes me a bit uneasy. If Australian's don't want to come here then fine, can't blame them when we're not winning and they're not getting paid overs, but at least we're making the approach and not leaving any stone unturned.

Are there Kiwi players that we're currently not targeting? That's the part that makes me unsure, because you would think that if there was a Kiwi available who SK wanted we'd be going after them too. So if we go with the 'bring them home" by design are we essentially just reducing the amount of players we're willing to target or are we going to go even harder at the Kiwis we do want?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I can somewhat see what SK is doing. He is filling the reserve grade side with capable players such as Cherrington, Santo etc. A few more signings like that is what is going to help us be able to compete and is what we need asap. Start getting players in that are looking for their next shot, thats been our success in the past eg the Rovelli's, Witt's, Gatis's, Mckinnon's, Fien's and Luck's. Take the big fish when they present, but don't sell your soul to get them.

Get these grafters in that will make our pretty boys (SJ, RTS, Fusitua, Hingano, Luke) look pretty again

Been saying that for awhile as well. They don't need to be the most talented, just the smartest/hardest workers we can find.

While we're not getting the bigger signings we want, I have liked what we're doing in the depth area of the club with our signings.

Santo/Cherrington are decent players who came through the Australian systems, we've also purchased a couple of younger guys who went through the Aussie systems as well. Won't help us in the short term, but I like the idea of grabbing Kiwi boys who have gone through those SG Ball grades all the way to NYC/ISP and grab them then.

Then there's guys like Pulu/Gavet who have had to work their asses off to get to where they are rather than being handed it all from NYC up.

We're starting to get the mix right for the medium term, but still lacking in the short term at the moment.

Good news for the day; discussions with Greg Eastwood have not progressed.

Bad news for the day; player agents are stalling negotiations with others due to ownership questions.

I honestly cant see a single signing (apart from maybe Blair) happening until the ownership issues are cleared up.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Good news for the day; discussions with Greg Eastwood have not progressed.

Bad news for the day; player agents are stalling negotiations with others due to ownership questions.

I honestly cant see a single signing (apart from maybe Blair) happening until the ownership issues are cleared up.

Good new is very good.

Bad news is honestly not surprising at all. Sometimes I think this club will never manage to run out of unique and ingenious ways to f**k things up.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Straight from the IRON LION black phone. A new buyer for the Warriors has entered the picture. His bid is a lot more serious and if successful will mean a total and complete board clean out including MR Doyle as a small co-owner.

It would actually be goodbye Jim Doyle.

Iafeta

Referee
Eric Watson isn't really helping the situation. Players need clarity. And old mate is selling a decrepit turd at Ferrari prices. I love how he knocked Owen Glenn down to a small buy back price but wants an Ungodly price to now sell to despite how far backwards the club has gone.