What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
I think May is in the same class Edwards and Cleary, I mean its hard to say at this stage but he has been very impressive, he has similar traits in terms of his composure and lack of the usual rookie errors, and the move he put on Tedesco in no space was sublime.

I don't agree that he is a better fit with Cleary though. Cleary needs someone creative outside of him at this stage, he isn't creating a lot himself, he is controlling and directing us and doing 95 percent of the kicking himself. May is ball runner and a natural footy player, he is much more Jack Bird then Anthony Milford.

Even if we lose Moylan, Jerome Luai was picked ahead of May in the halves in that NYC squad and I'd back him to be picked ahead of May in the halves for the NRL squad next season.

Kev07

Juniors
I think May is in the same class Edwards and Cleary, I mean its hard to say at this stage but he has been very impressive, he has similar traits in terms of his composure and lack of the usual rookie errors, and the move he put on Tedesco in no space was sublime.

I don't agree that he is a better fit with Cleary though. Cleary needs someone creative outside of him at this stage, he isn't creating a lot himself, he is controlling and directing us and doing 95 percent of the kicking himself. May is ball runner and a natural footy player, he is much more Jack Bird then Anthony Milford.

Even if we lose Moylan, Jerome Luai was picked ahead of May in the halves in that NYC squad and I'd back him to be picked ahead of May in the halves for the NRL squad next season.
Last year's squad where he was named Five-Eight in NYC Team of the Year or the 2015 squad where he topped tries,tackles,try assists,line breaks,Line break assists etc?

OldPanther

Coach

Agreed. If we did lose Moylan you'd think Luai would be the next 6.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Use your eyes and brains on the stats might help you champ
Which stats?

May has 1 try assist all season... it was in his game off the bench.
Moylan has 8. 4 of those at 6.

May has 5 tries all season
Moylan has has 8. 4 of them starting at 6. 2 against Knights where he was forced to 6.

Exactly how is May better statistically at 6 than Moylan? Moylan creates tries and linebreaks. Thats a halves main job. May doesnt do that and Cleary has about as many try assists with Moylan as he does May. Neither has any effect on his form... he has played plenty of good games with both.

May is doing a good job. But hes nowhere f**king near Moylan as a playmaker. Moylan at 6 against Raiders produced a masterclass that very few in history could have done. He's as clutch as it gets... and has more class in him then the rest of the team combined.

Deadset. How do people forget how good he has been for us? Miss a few games and suddenly people think we dont need them. They were shit and always will be shit. Carty was in the same boat. One good game and hes the best on the planet again.

We won't ever win a premiership if we keep letting established superstars go because we have someone good who will one day be a superstar.

Moylan is an established superstar. Sure he's not as established at 6. But his entire NRL career has been a success on the back of his ball playing skills, vision and being clutch when needed.

May is going to be in our team too. But we cant build a premiership team around him as our 6.

OldPanther

Coach
Which stats?

Moylan has has 8. 4 of them starting at 6. 2 against Knights where he was forced to 6.

Exactly how is May better statistically at 6 than Moylan? Moylan creates tries and linebreaks. Thats a halves main job. May doesnt do that and Cleary has about as many try assists with Moylan as he does May. Neither has any effect on his form... he has played plenty of good games with both.

May is doing a good job. But hes nowhere f**king near Moylan as a playmaker. Moylan at 6 against Raiders produced a masterclass that very few in history could have done. He's as clutch as it gets... and has more class in him then the rest of the team combined.

Deadset. How do people forget how good he has been for us? Miss a few games and suddenly people think we dont need them. They were shit and always will be shit. Carty was in the same boat. One good game and hes the best on the planet again.

We won't ever win a premiership if we keep letting established superstars go because we have someone good who will one day be a superstar.

Moylan is an established superstar. Sure he's not as established at 6. But his entire NRL career has been a success on the back of his ball playing skills, vision and being clutch when needed.

May is going to be in our team too. But we cant build a premiership team around him as our 6.

Brilliant comment. Moylan is the best we have no question about it.

betcats

Referee

This.

Our first priority should be getting Moylan back and playing well, if that is not possible then fair enough there is nothing we can do but we should try everything we can within reason before deciding its not possible.

Last edited:

Kev07

Juniors
Which stats?

My point was comparing there stats along side Clearys now having both played 8 games beside him at 6

OldPanther

Coach
My point was comparing there stats along side Clearys now having both played 8 games beside him at 6

IF Cleary has better stats with May it's because he has to do so much more work. All May offers at 6 is the ability to not do much playmaking so Cleary gets more responsibility.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Imagine kev7 coaching at the Storm. "Cronk individually has better stats without Munster - Tohu Harris to 6 it is!"

I hope NSW have a lock ready to play 6 when they call up Cleary because he obviously doesn't work if there is another strong half there willing to call the shots.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
PS Carlos Tuimavave was twice chosen as 6 in the NYC team of the year, and where is he now? The other player selected twice at 6 in the team of the year? Te Mare Martin.

betcats

Referee
PS Carlos Tuimavave was twice chosen as 6 in the NYC team of the year, and where is he now? The other player selected twice at 6 in the team of the year? Te Mare Martin.

Beu Henry was NYC player of the year, recruited by Bennett at Newscastle...He is playing park footy now.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Beu Henry was NYC player of the year, recruited by Bennett at Newscastle...He is playing park footy now.
I mean, obviously there are also top class players also selected in this NYC team, but using it as evidence of long term success at 6 is very tenuous.

mxlegend99

Referee
I did... and Clearys stats are pretty consistent regardless of his halves partner. Carty. Moylan or May.

Have you looked at them? Or is that why you refused to post them? Making a claim and hoping no one would check it?

Moylan is the best compliment to Cleary as he excels in different areas. But sadly we cant get them together to develop.

franklin2323

Immortal
May is a great player no doubt and his stats from 2015 are just crazy but just last week Brennan said he is a lock. Gus said something similar in 2015. So where his future lies is the question not whether he can play.

Luani is a far better halves option however he needs to bulk up. Blore is decent too and so on. Many many options one of these may even better than Moylan/May. The difference is Moylan costs $700k. May probably half that.

Issue seems to be in SOO Camp players said what they got and he sulked. So if it is money related no chance he will get more and will be gone for a cheaper option

MrBlack

Juniors
Don't just take stats as given.

Gallen is notorious for hogging the ball to get his "stats" up. Does it make him a better player, or does it just throw out the balance of the team???

Not that I have looked at May's stats, I feel he is better off the bench late in the game. Has more impact in short bursts. Same as Cartwright last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.