What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Maloney is a fun guy who leaves Matty for dead on the drink.....and partying ;-)

I'm sure the boys want him in the side

If the stories I’ve heard about Moyza over the last few days are true.... no one could compete with Molan... apparently he doesn’t mind a bender!

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I know personal responsibility is everything but the call to make him captain was really something

Maybe they were hoping he’d thrive under the added responsibility?!?... hindsight is a wonderful thing. I liked it when he was announced, so it’s hard to criticise the decision now.

But it wasn’t good for him. I think someone like Yeo would love the added responsibility.

mxlegend99

Referee
He didn’t have to say anything at all. He could have just said the old throw away lined that players use. But RCG said he was happy and qualified it by explaining why. If he wasn’t happy, I doubt he would have gone into the details.
He might very well mean it. These articles are a dime a dozen though.

Bit like the toughest pre-season ever articles. They dont mean shit. Whether they're true or not.

mxlegend99

Referee
Maybe they were hoping he’d thrive under the added responsibility?!?... hindsight is a wonderful thing. I liked it when he was announced, so it’s hard to criticise the decision now.

But it wasn’t good for him. I think someone like Yeo would love the added responsibility.
If they knew about his off field attitude it was a ridiculous decision. Extra responsibility on a person who likes to breeze through life is a terrible idea.

That said his attitude back then might not have been so bad. I liked his appointment purely because it looked like a long term decision.

franklin2323

Immortal
Players always say that sort of shit. Cooper Cronk came out saying a heap of shit about how he wanted to play with Mitchell Pearce and it being a selling point.

But all along everyone knew it was pretty much the end of Pearce. Cronk has been ruining his rep career for years and now took his club spot.

How many players are going to come out and say its a terrible signing, i hate that merkin, he's going to destroy this club. Outside of Nathan Peats joking about it online, you will only ever see players talking positively about these things.

It wouldnt matter if it were Pearce, Maloney or Walsh coming. Last year we had players talking up the TMM and Cleary combination.

He played for 13 years with that prick Cameron Smith. I am sure he was looking forward to working with anyone that got him away from him

martielang

Bench
You try to talk him down by focusing on his what you perceive to be a weakness for a half. But that weakness exists in most halves and some of the games elite are even worse than him.

We saw what he was capable of after Origin in 2016. He was arguably the form player in the competition between Origin 3 and us being eliminated. That was the opinion of pretty much everyone in the media. They were convinced he could lead us to the grand final. As were the majority of people here... If that was only 50% of his potential than he could be the greatest player in the history of the game if he hit 100%.

Since people seem to only remember what suits them, let's take a look at his last few games:

Moylan in his last 4 games of 2016: 7 try assists and 10 linebreak assists (that's 2 regular games, and 2 finals matches)
Maloney in 25 games of 2016 has 9 try assists and 10 linebreak assists. (that's regular season, finals and grand final)

Moylan in 4 games nearly equalled an entire season of playmaking in which Maloney won a grand final. His 27 linebreak assist put him 3 ahead of Shaun Johnson and Johnathon Thurston... and he did so in 21 games to their 24.

That is the Matt Moylan that clubs were all interested in signing. For our sake I hope he never goes back to his potential. You say he only ever got halfway there. But in 2016 he didn't have much higher he could have gone. Daley picking him at 6 gave him some sort of extra confidence in his ability and he just took control of the team.

Not once have I talked down his ability or his potential, if anything I've been the opposite. That's the exact reason why i dislike the bloke so much. He could be anything but he's let himself & our club down repeatedly due to his attitude & ill discipline. A fit & firing Moylan, our best player, would of benefited our team greatly but the simple fact he took the piss for 12 months (minimum) while collecting a $800k pay cheque.

It's ironic that you're one of the 'everyone accepts mediocrity' crew, yet you're satisfied when our best player can't even be bothered to go to rehab / training, doesn't have the self control to stay off the piss while injured, disrupts the squad & plays to 50% of his ability for a whole season. If that's not accepting mediocrity, what is?

OldPanther

Coach
The one from over 12 months ago?

Does that mean everyone should lay off Tamou & Merrin too because they were playing well 12 months ago?

Merrin yes, Tamou no. As Umina said, Cows fans were happy to see him go and NSW fans in general don't want him picked

That is how I read it too. Atleast until Maloney finishes playing and can meet and sign with the sponsors personally

It’s arguable though that the club should’ve waited to release Moylan until Maloney could meet with the sponsors.

With the way it is another club could swoop in and steal Maloney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts