What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

noforwardpass

Juniors
Penrith to make Wallace Panther for life

Ten years after being allowed to walk away, Penrith want Peter Wallace for life.

Plans are under way to keep Wallace at the foot of the mountains for good after revelations the new Panthers' NRL skipper had begun a coaching course.

Just two weeks after coach Anthony Griffin appointment of Wallace as captain for the 2018 season, it is believed the NRL has already ticked off on the veteran's post-career ambition.

"(Penrith boss Phil Gould) has already spoken to him about it and he's very keen," Panthers chief executive Brian Fletcher told AAP.

"He's a Penrith boy right through. He'll be tied up to the club for many years. So he's going through the coaching course now, which has been approved by the NRL."

The Panthers were in need of a new leader after the controversial exit of star Matt Moylan to Cronulla over the summer, which resulted in a player-swap with James Maloney.

However despite the 32-year-old Wallace having just one year left on his current deal, Griffin had no hesitation in handing the role to the former NSW State of Origin representative.

Wallace, who has already indicated a final contract in England is off the table, is likely to spend some time this year honing his coaching skills with the club's junior development squads.

It is there where Wallace will also mentor future No.9 options Wayde Egan and Sione Katoa.

"He'll finish his contract this year and, if he decides to retire - which he probably will - he'll go straight onto the coaching staff," Fletcher said.

"Everyone here loves him; the people of Penrith love him. He'd break his arm and it'd take six weeks to get back but he'd be back in three.

"He'd be good for all the young kids coming through - teach them how to be halfback; how to be a hooker; how to kick a ball. He's got a lot of value to us.

"He's got to do so many hours of coaching to eventually get ticked off. It's part of the requirement into the future, transferring players over to a future position."

Kilkenny

Coach
You would have to think there is legs to the Tyrone Peachy to Titans rumours. 3 year deal on good money commencing 2019 would surely be a good deal for Tyrone and one I suspect we would not be able to match and while Gould loves Peachy he generally never stands in someones way when a greater opportunity presents itself elsewhere.

OldPanther

Coach
You would have to think there is legs to the Tyrone Peachy to Titans rumours. 3 year deal on good money commencing 2019 would surely be a good deal for Tyrone and one I suspect we would not be able to match and while Gould loves Peachy he generally never stands in someones way when a greater opportunity presents itself elsewhere.

The funny part of the article is it says that but also says there's no offer.

Kilkenny

Coach
The funny part of the article is it says that but also says there's no offer.

At the end of the day, assuming there is some truth to the approach to Peachy, it is an opportunity for him to secure his future and certainly couldn't blame him for taking such an offer whether with the Titans or any other club. Aside from the need to upgrade Cleary, perhaps letting Peachy go a year early may give us some additional money to potentially offering Mansour a 'deal' which may entice him to remain with us.

Fangs

Coach
Of course there is truth to it. Its happening right now before our eyes.

For our sake I hope he is denied a release.

GongPanther

Referee
Lots of smoke baby, there is a fire brewing whether we like it or not.
The X factor in this,as will be other players,is the fact that he will have his best chance at a premiership in 2018. This is why I don't think he will jump ship if tempted.

Just hope it doesn't play on his mind to the point of him playing a dud season.

Kilkenny

Coach
A fairly knowledgeable acquaintance made the point yesterday Tyrone Peachy is highly likely to have a higher honours clause in his current contract with us and if Fittler was to select him for Origin duties at any stage this season it could have implications for our cap. Apparently, Fittler has a high opinion of Peachy and he could be an outside chance of selection if he has a really good start to this season. I don't know enough about how the salary cap works and how this scenario would effect us in 2018 and 2019 if he was to stay with us.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
2018 Gains:
James Maloney
Adam Keighran
Chad O'Donnell
Joey Peato
Tyrone Phillips
Jayden Walker

2018 Losses:
Peta Hiku
Leilani Latu
Te Maire Martin
Matt Moylan

Sitaleki Akauola
Zach Dockar-Clay
Samisoni Langi
Darren Nicholls
Michael Oldfield
Mitch Rein
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak

Already its looking pretty dodgy losing four first squad players for one in Maloney, but if we end up losing Peachey and possibly Mansour as well, well, I'm not sure we are handling the cap very well personally. I mean most people on here are pretty much saying "Oh well, if we lose X, at least it is more money to throw at Cleary." He can't win the comp on his own - there is no point paying him a fortune and then surrounding him with a bare bones squad. I hope Gus knows what he is doing.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
This is how it will pan out, I suspect. The Panthers need him this year.

I agree. Love the Peach and how he plays. In my mind he's not a first rate centre, Whare and Blake are better players in this position. (think also there's possibly a couple of kids comming through who will be good backs ups too).

Off the bench Peach (to me) can't play enough positions, he's pretty useless at hooker, service not precise enough and basically can only play in the 2nd row and centre. * Not as many positions as what blokes like Katoa who can step in almost everywhere except for maybe front row.

I think like others have already mentioned he will stay this year and fly to Gold Coast next year.

Kilkenny

Coach
2018 Gains:
James Maloney
Adam Keighran
Chad O'Donnell
Joey Peato
Tyrone Phillips
Jayden Walker

2018 Losses:
Peta Hiku
Leilani Latu
Te Maire Martin
Matt Moylan

Sitaleki Akauola
Zach Dockar-Clay
Samisoni Langi
Darren Nicholls
Michael Oldfield
Mitch Rein
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak

Already its looking pretty dodgy losing four first squad players for one in Maloney, but if we end up losing Peachey and possibly Mansour as well, well, I'm not sure we are handling the cap very well personally. I mean most people on here are pretty much saying "Oh well, if we lose X, at least it is more money to throw at Cleary." He can't win the comp on his own - there is no point paying him a fortune and then surrounding him with a bare bones squad. I hope Gus knows what he is doing.

I am sure Gus knows what he is doing, whether you like what he is doing is another issue.

Given the makeup of our current 2018 squad perhaps the most significant loss from the above list may turn out to be Darren Nicholls. Had a great 2017 and while he didn't get at least one opportunity to debut, which his form probably deserved, he would have been the ideal back for our two main halves. Maybe 2018 is a year early for Jerome Laui should something unforeseen happen to either Cleary or Maloney.

Moylan and poor old Te Maire Martin basically had to leave for well documented reasons so really we can't dwell too much on there situations.

I look at our top 30 and I think it is strong overall and should be competitive, even if as we all agree it would be nice to have another proven quality outside back to call upon in the case of injury.

martielang

Bench
When a player rises from base wage to being a $1M+ a year, there is always going to be collateral, that’s not poor cap management that’s just life in a salary capped league.

Peach seems to be as good as gone but hopefully we keep mansour. If worse comes to worse & we lose both, I still don’t think we’d have a bare bones squad by any means.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
When a player rises from base wage to being a $1M+ a year, there is always going to be collateral, that’s not poor cap management that’s just life in a salary capped league.

Peach seems to be as good as gone but hopefully we keep mansour. If worse comes to worse & we lose both, I still don’t think we’d have a bare bones squad by any means.

Have you seen our backline options:

Edwards
DWZ
Mansour
Blake
Peachey
Whare

And then a huge drop off to whoever might be next in line. We lose two of those and simply use the money to retain Cleary, we are in big trouble in that area of the squad.

seal

Juniors
Have you seen our backline options:

Edwards
DWZ
Mansour
Blake
Peachey
Whare

And then a huge drop off to whoever might be next in line. We lose two of those and simply use the money to retain Cleary, we are in big trouble in that area of the squad.

Exactly why I’d like to see us sign a cheap, fringe outside back from elsewhere. Edrick Lee the perfect candidate imo. Would much rather see him playing on a wing than Waqa Blake

mxlegend99

Referee

James Tamou and James Maloney are the real reason there's going to be collateral.

We went out paying overs to these guys knowing what it would do to our salary cap. Cleary was always going to soar in value. Yet Gus has gone out throwing huge money at players knowing we would need to offload guys to get them and that to keep Cleary we would need to lose more players.

Pomoz

Bench
James Tamou and James Maloney are the real reason there's going to be collateral.

We went out paying overs to these guys knowing what it would do to our salary cap. Cleary was always going to soar in value. Yet Gus has gone out throwing huge money at players knowing we would need to offload guys to get them and that to keep Cleary we would need to lose more players.
How do you know this? Do you have access to the actual contracts these players signed? Whenever the papers quote a contract price for any player, somebody will eventually say "it's not as much as quoted in the paper".

You are getting angry over something that hasn't happened yet, based purely on speculation about players contracts. If you know the actual contracted wages then fair enough. I would also like to understand how the changes to the cap will play out in terms of increasing our ability to retain players. It is increasing, so how does that impact players currently signed to contracts. Do they have CPI clauses? Do you know this and how it works? If you do, it would be an interesting read.

The Storm have shown that the only players you need to worry about are the spine and a couple of quality forwards. They have rotated their wingers and centres regularly. They usually develop a player so they become a quality player, then another team takes them. Mind you, when they play for another coach they are normally nowhere near as good (how are you Sika Manu?). Then they start the process again.

We haven't quite got the spine yet, but we are well on the way. Hooker is the next missing piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts