What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFrog

Coach
Cronk has those cross field kicks that lead to so many tries and repeat sets, Nathan has a way to go to equal him in that regard IMHO.

mxlegend99

Referee
He doesn't have the kicking game of Cronk, not even close, but is his equal otherwise.
I just meant age wise. Cleary is so far ahead of him at the same age and as far as halves go Cronk is the closest comparison. Yet at the same age as Cleary is now he was only making his debut as a utility for Storm.

Obviously Cronk in his prime is a mile ahead of present day Cleary. But that gap will narrow greatly this year.

10 times better than the 9th immortal? A player that changed the game for ever?

I can’t see Nathan changing the way rugby league is played.

He’s a very good player, maybe the best half back of his generation. Certainly not 10 times better.
I ran the stats. Its actually 11 times better.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I just meant age wise. Cleary is so far ahead of him at the same age and as far as halves go Cronk is the closest comparison. Yet at the same age as Cleary is now he was only making his debut as a utility for Storm.

Obviously Cronk in his prime is a mile ahead of present day Cleary. But that gap will narrow greatly this year.

I ran the stats. Its actually 11 times better.

I’m actually pleasantly surprised you didn’t mention any stats.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
If keeping Cleary is still stretch I think we can afford to shed CHN. Kikau can still be dynamic playing 80 and Tyrone May can be the 3rd bench forward playing backrow/lock forward. We don't lose much if anything playing May over CHN how much extra dimension May can add to our attack with his ball playing/kicking. Not to mention how wel he combines with Cleary when they play togther.

I'd argue a bench of Mkendary, Tamou, May or Kikau, Egan isn't worse then our current full strength one (barring Peach) while creating some cap space. It'll also make things easier when the cap hits us in 2020.

Last edited:

kinghippo

Juniors
If keeping Cleary is still stretch I think we can afford to shed CHN. Kikau can still be dynamic playing 80 and Tyrone May can be the 3rd bench forward playing backrow/lock forward. We don't lose much if anything playing May over CHN how much extra dimension May can add to our attack with his ball playing/kicking. Not to mention how wel he combines with Cleary when they play togther.

I'd argue a bench of Mkendary, Tamou, May or Kikau, Egan isn't worse then our current full strength one (barring Peach) while creating some cap space. It'll also make things easier when the cap hits us in 2020.
CHN is better than most other second row in the comp, he has a style very similar to Crichton without the price tag. Last year he was all out attack and was used harshly towards the end of the season, I wouldn’t trade him for anybody as I think he still has plenty of improvement in him. He is only just hitting his straps post injury and his combination with Cleary and his buddy JFH is strong enough to base a team around.
We are spoiled with special players at the moment and I guess you can make a case for any of them but he has just resigned and is a gun, I would hate to see him go.

tripster

Juniors
Just saw these comments from Bellamy on NRL.com.

They won't help the hype around Cleary (and his 'market value').

Bellamy sees shades of Smith in Cleary

The man who has mentored arguably the game's greatest player has handed NSW halfback Nathan Cleary the ultimate compliment ahead of his Holden State of Origin debut for NSW.

"He reminds me a lot of Cameron Smith, just playing in a different position," Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy said of the 20-year-old Blues No.7.

"He's been really impressive for the couple of years he's been playing for Penrith. Even last year he would've been in the frame to come into NSW. I'm thinking, and I might be wrong, but he's going to be the halfback there for the next 10 years, he's that talented of a player. A real talented player with a real cool head.

"He's got good size about him. He's got a good defensive game and he kicks goals. I think he's going to be the NSW halfback for a very long period of time. For me he's the most impressive halfback that's come through for a very long time in our competition. He has a really cool head and defends as good as he attacks. He's an impressive young footballer."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/06...om-brad-fittlers-round-one-nsw-blues-line-up/

OldPanther

Coach
Just saw these comments from Bellamy on NRL.com.

They won't help the hype around Cleary (and his 'market value').

Bellamy sees shades of Smith in Cleary

The man who has mentored arguably the game's greatest player has handed NSW halfback Nathan Cleary the ultimate compliment ahead of his Holden State of Origin debut for NSW.

"He reminds me a lot of Cameron Smith, just playing in a different position," Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy said of the 20-year-old Blues No.7.

"He's been really impressive for the couple of years he's been playing for Penrith. Even last year he would've been in the frame to come into NSW. I'm thinking, and I might be wrong, but he's going to be the halfback there for the next 10 years, he's that talented of a player. A real talented player with a real cool head.

"He's got good size about him. He's got a good defensive game and he kicks goals. I think he's going to be the NSW halfback for a very long period of time. For me he's the most impressive halfback that's come through for a very long time in our competition. He has a really cool head and defends as good as he attacks. He's an impressive young footballer."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/06...om-brad-fittlers-round-one-nsw-blues-line-up/

Bellamy to Panthers in 2019 confirmed.

mxlegend99

Referee
When Craig Bellamy compares you to the best player in the game and isn't your coach you know you're pretty f**king awesome.

He will be the best player in the game for a decade or so starting pretty soon IMO. Just as the current greats start to retire he will be finding great form and be among the games best by finals 2019.

Edit
Although the only coach I saw as a threqt to luring him away from us other than Ivan was Bellamy. Those compliments... i know who his number 1 target would be if he joined Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts