What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BxTom

Bench
I'm not sure what you mean.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. many players in the halves (well, the ones that are not great as defenders) are used to rush out of the line to try and act as 'speed bumps' if that is the term. Especially on the 5th when it may limit the options of the opposing kicker. I wonder how many of these play are counted as missed tackles?

Tom.

betcats

Referee
Sorry, I wasn't clear. many players in the halves (well, the ones that are not great as defenders) are used to rush out of the line to try and act as 'speed bumps' if that is the term. Especially on the 5th when it may limit the options of the opposing kicker. I wonder how many of these play are counted as missed tackles?

Tom.

I see, there would be a few of those I haven't watched a lot of the Sharks this year. That being said Maloney is a well known turnstile so I'd guess that the majority are genuine misses.

OldPanther

Coach
When you look at goulds track record it's close to it, though every now and then he is actually honest so I don't really know what to think.

Yeah. It won't be long before Cronk comes out and tells everyone what he's doing. Another month give or take. He'd make a good halves coach.

BxTom

Bench
I see, there would be a few of those I haven't watched a lot of the Sharks this year. That being said Maloney is a well known turnstile so I'd guess that the majority are genuine misses.
Somebody said that Moylan was charging off of the line on the weekend. I wonder if some of those are counted as missed tackles. I would question them being counted as such because, although it involves a player coming out of the defensive line and committing to an opposing player, the primary intention isn't to bring the player down, it is to try to limit their attacking options, ie - make them rush the kick or even stymie it etc. And if you have a player that is a bit of a speed bump or a turnstile, using them in this manner might be more effective at times

Tom.

Panfas

Juniors
Matt Moylan vs Warriors. These stats are fantastic

1 try
2 offloads
1 line break
0 try assists
5 tackle breaks
2 line break assists
22 runs for 209 metres
4 kicks for 78 metres
7 kick returns for 78 metres
8 tackles, 1 missed for 89% success
2 errors

Panfas

Juniors
Out of comparison, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck vs Panthers

0 try
1 offloads
0 line break
0 try assists
1 tackle breaks
0 line break assists
20 runs for 126 metres
0 kicks for 0 metres
4 kick returns for 4 metres
2 tackles, 5 missed for 29% success
2 errors

betcats

Referee
Out of comparison, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck vs Panthers

0 try
1 offloads
0 line break
0 try assists
1 tackle breaks
0 line break assists
20 runs for 126 metres
0 kicks for 0 metres
4 kick returns for 4 metres
2 tackles, 5 missed for 29% success
2 errors

Has to be one of his worst games for a while. I haven't watched him that much this year though. 2 years ago he was cracking 200m every week.

betcats

Referee
Matt Moylan vs Warriors. These stats are fantastic

1 try
2 offloads
1 line break
0 try assists
5 tackle breaks
2 line break assists
22 runs for 209 metres
4 kicks for 78 metres
7 kick returns for 78 metres
8 tackles, 1 missed for 89% success
2 errors

Only a beastly performance by Yeo stopped Moylan from getting motm. We need him to keep producing like this if we are going to go on a run.

pandas

Juniors
Moylan's 24 tackle busts is pretty handy for a bloke who is supposedly scared of contact.
Agreed. Pretty sick of hearing about how "soft" he is. True he's a smaller build with a touch footy background but this "he's soft" stuff seems to be directed at almost any player that doesn't look like a roided up beefcake these days.

pandas

Juniors
Only a beastly performance by Yeo stopped Moylan from getting motm. We need him to keep producing like this if we are going to go on a run.
Yep they were both great last weekend. As we know Moylan's been down on form in an under performing side this year but remember how good he was playing last year from mid-season onwards? I'm sure he'll get back to that sublime form pretty soon, we all know he can do it and he seems to be on his way now. I wonder if we're better off with him missing out on origin or not? Obviously he's integral to our team but I just hope his confidence doesn't suffer a setback if Daley doesn't stick with him.

betcats

Referee
Agreed. Pretty sick of hearing about how "soft" he is. True he's a smaller build with a touch footy background but this "he's soft" stuff seems to be directed at almost any player that doesn't look like a roided up beefcake these days.

Yeah, he has different style to a lot of FBs due to his touch back ground but to say he is afraid to run or afraid to get tackled is silly imo. He played a lot more touch than tackle footy growing up so his first instinct is to avoid getting tackled and stay alive, yes it can hurt us but it does produce some brilliant play for us also. But he runs the ball all the time, he got hit in one of the tackles of the season last year by luke lewis, and was on his feet a second later.

A small fullback running back full pelt into the defence might look impressive but the reality is unless you have some kind of elite ball running skill(speed, power or footwork) like a slater or Tedesco then running like that into a nice kick chase just makes it easier for the defence to hold you up and take you 5 metres backwards. And even Billy will try and pick a hole and find the grass more often than not than just go hard at a good straight kick chase.

Last edited:

Blues Riff

Bench
I reckon Moylan will be in the Blues squad for sure, even if he doesn't get a game. Daley seems to have a lot of time for him. They'd be looking at guys like Fergo, Dugan, Hayne, Tedesco etc, but what are the chances of these players playing 3 games?
Maybe (hopefully) he even gets a run at 6 and kills it. Helps our cause. Meanwhile Edwards makes the 1 position his own. (In a perfect world that is).

betcats

Referee
I reckon Moylan will be in the Blues squad for sure, even if he doesn't get a game. Daley seems to have a lot of time for him. They'd be looking at guys like Fergo, Dugan, Hayne, Tedesco etc, but what are the chances of these players playing 3 games?
Maybe (hopefully) he even gets a run at 6 and kills it. Helps our cause. Meanwhile Edwards makes the 1 position his own. (In a perfect world that is).

Yeah there is probably a good chance he gets named 18th man, he can cover FB and the halves and sterol seems to like him a lot as well. Depends on what injury concerns they have in the rest of the team I guess.

Whino

Bench
by Christian Nicolussi
PENRITH supremo Phil Gould has quickly shut down talk of Cooper Cronk signing with Penrith next year, declaring: “He’s never been discussed, he’s never been considered, and we are not in the market for any players.’’

I don't believe that we are not in the market for any new players.
Every year most clubs even if they are happy with their rosters recruit at least 1 or 2 players with some first grade experience, just to keep the squad fresh.
You can't tell me if the rumours of TMM, Rein and Hiku being shopped around are partly true we won't bring someone in to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts