What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and Even More Crap X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
You cannot really substantiate that claim with any real evidence. I could counter that argument by saying that if Sandow was in the 2005 side instead that we would not have even made the Top 8.

He doesn't have to substantiate the 'claim' - it is his opinion.

I think Sandow is as good as we can hope for right now. Put him behind a strong team and he goes fine.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think Sandow's biggest flaws are:

* inability to get repeat sets;

* inability to kick for tries; and

* defense.

But I don't think we'd be much better off with Hodkinson at halfback, and I rate Trent Hodkinson.

We really, really, REALLY need to focus on getting a forward pack that can dominate the ruck, both in attack and especially defense.

Chipmunk

Coach
It's no different to you claiming that he's rubbish outright when he's playing in what is arguebly the worst parramatta side in history behind the worst forward pack in the comp without an ounce of protection from his mates either side of him in the D! ... To add he's had a shit 6 to contend with! I'm sure he'd love Matai and watmough either side of him and would also love to be feeding a ball to Maloney on a regular basis too..

Fair points. I guess we will have to wait for next year to find out.

Stagger eel

Staff member

* defense.

But I don't think we'd be much better off with Hodkinson at halfback, and I rate Trent Hodkinson.

We really, really, REALLY need to focus on getting a forward pack that can dominate the ruck, both in attack and especially defense.

I agree they're definite flaws in his game but I also remember the days we were craving for a running 7 who took on the line... Or was that just Pete? *shrugs*

lingard

Coach
If its true, I say SK should be stamped, never to coach in the nrl again. The board shouldn't of allowed such a signing, no wonder they got punted.

f**k me.

I'll have to defend Kearney here. At the time of Sandow's signing, he was considered to be about the third best half in the game. There were people considering that he would end up playing S.O.O. I think at the time he was a very good buy for a club who desperately needed a quality half-back.

Chipmunk

Coach

* defense.

All good points

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree they're definite flaws in his game but I also remember the days we were craving for a running 7 who took on the line... Or was that just Pete? *shrugs*

I think Sandow will be fine with a strong forward pack. I think he's one of those halfbacks that needs a strong pack more than others.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

* defense.

Good points.

I think those flaws you have highlighted could be labelled at a number of halfbacks in the NRL. Unfortunately, there really are only a handful halves that can do everything - kick short, kick long, run, get LBAs, get repeat sets, defend strongly etc.

The best we can hope is to make sure we have someone who is very strong in a few areas and make sure that there aren't any glaring deficiencies that can't be covered by some other member of the team.

I think we have that in Sandow.

Thrown in a good number 9, a performing pack and some smart ball runners outside of him and suddenly Sandow will seem like a much better player than he is showing now.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'll have to defend Kearney here. At the time of Sandow's signing, he was considered to be about the third best half in the game. There were people considering that he would end up playing S.O.O. I think at the time he was a very good buy for a club who desperately needed a quality half-back.

I couldnt believe we signed him when we did. I guess when you're a rookie coach who needs a 7 and there is only one available then you buy him and pay him whatever you have to. Even if that player was never the type of 7 that was going to be able to fit into the rookie coach's pre-determined structure and game plan. The decision was madness and that alone was a good reason Kearney is no longer here.

Surely the point here is that we'll probably be paying a bit over the odds (in terms of 2014 salary) for Sandow, relative to his overall contribution, but there's no obvious way of making the team better by inducing him to go elsewhere and paying some of the freight?

Unless he's got some personal reason to want to get out (and would thus be prepared to sacrifice some $$), I don't see what we gain from losing him.

lingard

Coach
Wasnt Kimmorley at the Sharks when Stuart was there?

You could argue Kimmorley's departure was the begining of the end for Sticky.

I personally think he needs a traditional half to be able to get the job done.

Yes, I think you're right. Was he near the end of his career, though?

Eels Dude

Coach
Because we were already (apparently) close to the limit of our 2012 cap.

We hadn't even signed Willie Tonga at that stage. Or upgraded the likes of Loko, Allgood, Morgan etc.

The club wouldn't have wanted to pay more than they had to to coax Sandow over, in the end it took an upgraded offer to bribe him across. That doesn't mean we didn't have the salary cap space to offer him more in the first place though.

Chipmunk

Coach
Good points.

I think those flaws you have highlighted could be labelled at a number of halfbacks in the NRL. Unfortunately, there really are only a handful halves that can do everything - kick short, kick long, run, get LBAs, get repeat sets, defend strongly etc.

The best we can hope is to make sure we have someone who is very strong in a few areas and make sure that there aren't any glaring deficiencies that can't be covered by some other member of the team.

Thrown in a good number 9, a performing pack and some smart ball runners outside of him and suddenly Sandow will seem like a much better player than he is showing now.

So besides kick the occasional 40-20, kick goals and dummy and run what else can Sandow do?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Good points.

Absolutely - Hodkinson, Walsh and A. Reynolds can't run; J. Reynolds can't kick, etc.

I think we have a quality player in Sandow, but we need a strong forward pack to really benefit from his inclusion in our side.

We hadn't even signed Willie Tonga at that stage. Or upgraded the likes of Loko, Allgood, Morgan etc.

The club wouldn't have wanted to pay more than they had to to coax Sandow over, in the end it took an upgraded offer to bribe him across. That doesn't mean we didn't have the salary cap space to offer him more in the first place though.

You might be right..I can't remember the exact order of things. But the back and forth that went on at the time suggested that we were not real comfortable with the cost.

Also, to the extent Boards influence the recruitment policy, there's a definite 'horizon problem'. If you have an election in 1.5 years time, there's a fair incentive to secure signings within that play within that time, potentially at the expense of your budget subsequently. Bit like democratic governments.

Status
Not open for further replies.