What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Vic Mackey

Referee
Who said anything about juniors? Don't go shifting the posts on me.

D.Tupou
J.Manu
SKD
M.Pearce
J.Friend
I.Liu
B.Cordner
M.Aubusson
K.Evans
L.Mitchel
D.Napa
C.Watson

ALL developed by the Roosters.

Really bemusing that you people are having a go at a proffessional sports organisation scouting and signing players. Maybe if your club was better at doing that you wouldn't have anything to complain about.

In saying that, I do feel for Tigers fans.

4 'star' players off contract at once, very very poor show from the front office. Somebody should be sacked.

Developing players? At what age does that stop? Can we say we are developing Elijah Taylor?

I'm not angry at the roosters and I'm not angry at Teddy either. In a way I don't blame him.

However if you think a clubs fans aren't going to get shitty over a kid who their club spent years and years developing through their matts/sgball/NYC etc. missing 2 and a half years due to injury yet the club standing by him, and now that he is at the prime of his career he gets up and leaves for a club who just buys whoever they want then you don't get it and never will.

You don't know what it's like being a fan of a club like this. There were meltdowns from roosters fans when RTS left and that's the first guy in forever it's ever happened too. Plus he'd only been at the club for what, 3 years and helped you win a comp.

Clifferd

Coach
It's not the fact these clubs are scouting and signing players from other clubs

It's the fact that the NRL continues to let the weak clubs get weaker and the stronger clubs to get stronger (regarding tpas)

Look what's happened these past 2 weeks

Brisbane who are running along smoothly sign an origin star in Jack Bird while a poor Newcastle side miss out on his services

Roosters are also running along smoothly and sign Tedesco from the Tigers while they continue to struggle

Dogs get Woods Foran etc etc

Who are the winners in this ? (The stronger clubs) Dogs, Brisbane and Eoosters

Who are the losers in this ? (The weaker clubs)

Give it a few more years and NRL will be similar to EPL where only about 4-5 teams are competitive

Vic Mackey

Referee

It's the fact that the NRL continues to let the weak clubs get weaker and the stronger clubs to get stronger (regarding tpas)

Brisbane who are running along smoothly sign an origin star in Jack Bird while a poor Newcastle side miss out on his services

Roosters are also running along smoothly and sign Tedesco from the Tigers while they continue to struggle

Give it a few more years and NRL will be similar to EPL where only about 4-5 teams are competitive

Exactly, yet the NRL want us to invest in our juniours. The raiders were exactly right when they lost Milford to Brisbane when they said they are downgrading their juniours spending cause what's the point?

You spend thousands of dollars and years on these kids, get them to where they should be then someone else comes along, offers their mrs an admin job at the club for $150kpa and takes them away.

NRL says it's all sweet.

Developing players? At what age does that stop? Can we say we are developing Elijah Taylor?

I'm not angry at the roosters and I'm not angry at Teddy either. In a way I don't blame him.

However if you think a clubs fans aren't going to get shitty over a kid who their club spent years and years developing through their matts/sgball/NYC etc. missing 2 and a half years due to injury yet the club standing by him, and now that he is at the prime of his career he gets up and leaves for a club who just buys whoever they want then you don't get it and never will.

You don't know what it's like being a fan of a club like this. There were meltdowns from roosters fans when RTS left and that's the first guy in forever it's ever happened too. Plus he'd only been at the club for what, 3 years and helped you win a comp.

None of the players I listed had played NRL before joining the Roosters.

They were all developed, to some extent, by the Roosters. Not a single one was signed and then played NRL the next week. Hard work went into developing them.

No, IMO you aren't responsible for developing Elijah Taylor. He was a seasoned first grader, unlike any of the players that I listed.

If you're not shitty with the Roosters, who exactly do you have the problem with? The NRL? The Tigers management? If that's the case, why throw mud at the Roosters?

I personally had / have no problem with RTS leaving. You've only got a short amount of time to make bank in this career, good on him.

Nice Beaver

First Grade

Let's hope Tedesco "does a Ferguson" and leaves a weak club to win a premiership.....

How's that working out, Blake?

I remember people saying this back in 2000.

How many different premiers have we had since?

I'd like to hear some alternatives to the current NRL / TPA system that we have in place.

If you remove all TPA's and have a capped amount of what you can pay your squad, we'll start bleeding players to overseas.

If you have a massive salary cap, then yeah we'll have a situation similar to the EPL, nobody wants that.

But yeah, what's the alternative to the current situation?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Cleary took the Warriors to within one game of a GF with a spine that included Grant Rovelli, Michael Witt, and Ian Henderson.

Tigers will be fine once Cleary gets 20 or so guys who are happy to be on the bus.

Pedge1971

First Grade

I'd like to hear some alternatives to the current NRL / TPA system that we have in place.

If you remove all TPA's and have a capped amount of what you can pay your squad, we'll start bleeding players to overseas.

If you have a massive salary cap, then yeah we'll have a situation similar to the EPL, nobody wants that.

Thats pretty easy. Put the "Third Party" definition honestly back into the TPA definition. That is centralise them with the NRL independent of club bids for players under the salary cap rather than pretending they are 3rd party when everyone knows they are part of a clubs comsolidated non indepemdenr offer to a player.

Third party sponsors can approach the NRL and the offer be registered with them independent of any club involvement, and the salary cap remains untarnished. The money stays in the game but it is no longer rigged. Once registered than can only approach a player who is on contract and not coming off in the current year. They cammot be.linked in term or duration.to the players club contract.

Those that come out and say they want to do a player sponsorship but only if player is with Club X are not third party and can be pushed back to the club as a sponsor.

Those found rorting (player, club and third party) have all contracts torn up including the cap contract.

The players can still earn the money bit within the regulations set down.

Still open to rorting if not policed properly but it leaves zero ambiguity around TPA"s.

Last edited:

Clifferd

Coach

Give the clubs some sort of incentive/compensation that develop their own juniors with a greater chance of re-signing them

If they still want to play elsewhere then fair play. Good luck to them

I don't know if we'll ever see one club players anymore, unless there's more of these ridiculous 10 year contracts

macavity

Referee

Sealed bids.

If a player hits the market, any interested club submits an offer to the NRL. The player can pick whichever club he wants, but the cap figure is the highest bid made (per year). If the "chosen" club won't meet that figure, the club that submitted it gets the player.

Players can then earn whatever they want in TPAs, but the cap figure is the highest cap figure a club will put on that player.

There is some work required of course, but it's the simplest way to ensure cap market value and arms length TPAs. You could incorporate a re-signing discount of something like 1-2% per year. So say the Knights bid for Milford at $1mil, Brisbane would get him on the cap at say $940k given he has been there 3 years.

The fact that Jack Bird signs for $250k less cap figure than he was offered makes a mockery of the system. His market value is $950k on the cap as that is what a club was prepared to pay.

It's that simple, and it is 100% fair. So of course it won't happen.

Thats pretty easy. Put the "Third Party" definition honestly back into the TPA definition. That is centralise them with the NRL independent of club bids for players under the salary cap rather than pretending they are 3rd party when everyone knows they are part of a clubs comsolidated non indepemdenr offer to a player.

Third party sponsors can approach the NRL and the offer be registered with them independent of any club involvement, and the salary cap remains untarnished. The money stays in the game but it is no longer rigged. Once registered than can only approach a player who is on contract and not coming off in the current year. They cammot be.linked in term or duration.to the players club contract.

Those that come out and say they want to do a player sponsorship but only if player is with Club X are not third party and can be pushed back to the club as a sponsor.

Those found rorting (player, club and third party) have all contracts torn up including the cap contract.

The players can still earn the money bit within the regulations set down.

Still open to rorting if not policed properly but it leaves zero ambiguity around TPA"s.

That's a great idea, you should honestly contact the NRL.

macavity

Referee
And I don't buy the "how many premiers since year X" talk. The past is not a predictor of the future. The gap between the haves and have nots is widening at an accelerating rate. Without a strict cap there is no realistic chance for those at the bottom to catch up consistently.

They can bounce, but not float.

Meanwhile, the same 4-5 clubs make the top 8... 9 out of 10 years. And don't give me that "good management" crap.

Pedge1971

First Grade
That's a great idea, you should honestly contact the NRL.

It isn't foolproof mate but a damn sight better than what we have now. Players should support it as it helps their cause to become partners with the NRL for a share in the overall revenue. Corporates should not care unless they have ulterior motives other than they player representing their brand " independently".

Some clubs wont like it but most will as it reduces the power of the player managers somewhat (players worth now comprises 2 separate revenue streams rather than 1 pretending to be 2).

All player managers will hate it as it forces them to do their job properly rather than hold clubs to ransom which is what I like most about it.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Sealed bids.

If a player hits the market, any interested club submits an offer to the NRL. The player can pick whichever club he wants, but the cap figure is the highest bid made (per year). If the "chosen" club won't meet that figure, the club that submitted it gets the player.

Players can then earn whatever they want in TPAs, but the cap figure is the highest cap figure a club will put on that player.

There is some work required of course, but it's the simplest way to ensure cap market value and arms length TPAs. You could incorporate a re-signing discount of something like 1-2% per year. So say the Knights bid for Milford at $1mil, Brisbane would get him on the cap at say $940k given he has been there 3 years.

The fact that Jack Bird signs for $250k less cap figure than he was offered makes a mockery of the system. His market value is $950k on the cap as that is what a club was prepared to pay.

It's that simple, and it is 100% fair. So of course it won't happen.

That is better (and cheaper) than centralising TPA's.

Problem is every time an idea gets thrown out there every self interested prick looks for reasons it wont work rather than looking at how it can work to make things more transparent to fans.

macavity

Referee
That is better (and cheaper) than centralising TPA's.

Problem is every time an idea gets thrown out there every self interested prick looks for reasons it wont work rather than looking at how it can work to make things more transparent to fans.

It completely takes TPA's out of the equation. They are limitless under this system - there is no cap on earnings - it simply ensures that the salary under the cap is registered at market value.

Hell, you could allow players to sign for whoever they want at whatever actual salary they want - but the cap value remains the highest value that ANY club is prepared to pay.