What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Nice Beaver

First Grade
What the hell? Lay off the crack pipe mate, who said anything about QLD spirit and what would it have to do with anything I said about Ponga anyway??

The kid is a talent, no doubt, but he's a long way from being a reliable defender. I'd take Bowen over him every day of the week.

See the bit where I said "or whatever"?

That was in reference to whatever other justification it may be you are hanging your hat on.

If he re-signed with the Cowboys he would 100% be in first grade right now.

Twist it anyway you like.

perverse

Referee
Ponga wouldn't even be able to get out of his Newcastle contract anyway wouldn't he?
Why would he want to? I might be biased, but we're building a pretty promising looking team around him with a lot of tomorrows. A few months ago it might have made sense... but with the signings we've made, the form we've shown of late and the money we still have free to spend, I don't think Kalyn would be feeling too bad about his decision right now.

Charlie124

First Grade
See the bit where I said "or whatever"?

That was in reference to whatever other justification it may be you are hanging your hat on.

If he re-signed with the Cowboys he would 100% be in first grade right now.

Twist it anyway you like.

haha ok mate.

He didn't re-sign with the Cowboys because he (and more-so his father) believe that he's a better player than he is and is worth huge money, which he isn't YET. He didn't see the value in spending some more time in reserve grade developing his game, he didn't see any value in spending a couple of years training with a future immortal and learning everything he can from him. Instead, a desperate Newcastle come in with a massive overs offer and a promise to play first grade so he (and again, more-so his father) jump at the dollar signs. Good on them, its huge money and i don't begrudge him for taking it to be honest, I'm just glad the Cows didn't get suckered into a bidding war for an unprovan winger/fullback who could be a gun, or he could be another Karl Filiga!

So to counter your assertion that he would be in first grade right now if he had re-signed with us, thats just plain not true because thats the whole reason he didn't re-sign with us.

Charlie124

First Grade
Why would he want to? I might be biased, but we're building a pretty promising looking team around him with a lot of tomorrows. A few months ago it might have made sense... but with the signings we've made, the form we've shown of late and the money we still have free to spend, I don't think Kalyn would be feeling too bad about his decision right now.

That depends on how much money is on the table. Kalyn aint there to win a comp, he's there for the cash.

macavity

Referee
haha ok mate.

He didn't re-sign with the Cowboys because he (and more-so his father) believe that he's a better player than he is and is worth huge money, which he isn't YET. He didn't see the value in spending some more time in reserve grade developing his game, he didn't see any value in spending a couple of years training with a future immortal and learning everything he can from him. Instead, a desperate Newcastle come in with a massive overs offer and a promise to play first grade so he (and again, more-so his father) jump at the dollar signs. Good on them, its huge money and i don't begrudge him for taking it to be honest, I'm just glad the Cows didn't get suckered into a bidding war for an unprovan winger/fullback who could be a gun, or he could be another Karl Filiga!

So to counter your assertion that he would be in first grade right now if he had re-signed with us, thats just plain not true because thats the whole reason he didn't re-sign with us.

Yeah nah.

His family had a terrible tragedy as a kid - they are really close and he still lives at home.

Dad is a mine manager FIFO and spends weeks away at a time. He lined up a job at a pit 20 minutes from Newcastle. Dad can be home for dinner. It was a family decision, and the money the salty QLD media are throwing around is way off the mark - if it was about money, there would have been a bidding war, not a signing out of the blue.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good QLDer whine.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
haha ok mate.

images-1.jpg

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

Apart from seeing how well Connor Watson is going at fullback. If I had a choice to play either one at fullback, I would definitely choose Watson. I don't think Watson has the ball skills right now to be a starting 5/8, he definitely has the running game for fullback. Conversely, I am not sure Ponga has the defence right now to play 5/8, in fact I am really liking what Brock Lamb is doing there atm.

perverse

Referee
Apart from seeing how well Connor Watson is going at fullback. If I had a choice to play either one at fullback, I would definitely choose Watson. I don't think Watson has the ball skills right now to be a starting 5/8, he definitely has the running game for fullback. Conversely, I am not sure Ponga has the defence right now to play 5/8, in fact I am really liking what Brock Lamb is doing there atm.
It's a nice headache to have. If I had to guess this far out and before the pre-season, I would say that Kalyn will be fullback, Watson 5/8th and one of Lamb or Hodkinson at halfback. They're all young enough and the team untried enough that it could all change very quickly. Until we see them on the paddock, it's anyones guess.

That depends on how much money is on the table. Kalyn aint there to win a comp, he's there for the cash.
I'm sure the money was a factor, not likely the only factor at his age.

mozza91

Coach
Yeah nah.

His family had a terrible tragedy as a kid - they are really close and he still lives at home.

Dad is a mine manager FIFO and spends weeks away at a time. He lined up a job at a pit 20 minutes from Newcastle. Dad can be home for dinner. It was a family decision, and the money the salty QLD media are throwing around is way off the mark - if it was about money, there would have been a bidding war, not a signing out of the blue.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good QLDer whine.
Nah bro Dobbo said he's on 1.5 million next year and he's never wrong. There could be no other reason to leave a paradise like Townsville.

davi

Juniors
James Graham's manager has confirmed the Canterbury Bulldogs have told him he is free to look elsewhere for a club in 2018. The Newcastle Knights are looking very likely to sign him.

I actually think it may be in Graham's best interests to move on. The Dogs just look like a stale team, and have been together too long. Graham really could benefit from a fresh start and the Knights being up an coming team could be just the place.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I'd take Graham and BMoz.
Lamb and Watson can be the halves, Jimmy M is a penalty machine, and just isn't worth the money.

1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. Moga
4. SKD
5. BMoz
6. Watson
7. Lamb
8. Herman E
9. Jamie B
10. Graham
11. Sione Mat
12. Barnett
13. Guerra

14. Levi
15. Daniel Saf
16. Jake Saf
17. Best Pre Season.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
It's a nice headache to have. If I had to guess this far out and before the pre-season, I would say that Kalyn will be fullback, Watson 5/8th and one of Lamb or Hodkinson at halfback. They're all young enough and the team untried enough that it could all change very quickly. Until we see them on the paddock, it's anyones guess.

I'm sure the money was a factor, not likely the only factor at his age.

Agree with the above, Hodkinson imho has to he halfback given the inexperience of Watson and Ponga in the spine (also Levi when on the field).

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Lamb and Watson can be the halves, Jimmy M is a penalty machine, and just isn't worth the money.

1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. Moga
4. SKD
5. BMoz
6. Watson
7. Lamb
8. Herman E
9. Jamie B
10. Graham
11. Sione Mat
12. Barnett
13. Guerra

14. Levi
15. Daniel Saf
16. Jake Saf
17. Best Pre Season.

17. Lachlan Fitzgibbon or possibly a new signing. Do not sign any of the Morris brothers unless really cheap. They are likely to be injured half the time. Maybe sign both, between the 2 you will get a season of first grade football.

Danish

Referee

1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. Moga
4. SKD
5. BMoz
6. Watson
7. Lamb
8. Herman E
9. Jamie B
10. Graham
11. Sione Mat
12. Barnett
13. Guerra

14. Levi
15. Daniel Saf
16. Jake Saf
17. Best Pre Season.

I'd much rather see you guys sign Maloney for 1-2 seasons and leave B Moz where he is, with Watson at fullback and Ponga on the wing.

That way, you have a couple seasons with Jimmy showing Watson how to play, and Ponga able to ease into first grade on the wing (much like we did with RTS).

When Jimmy retires, Watson will be a fully developed 5/8 and Ponga will be
ready to take on the fullback role.

Not to mention the fact that Maloney is just a flat out winner, and a lucky rabbit's foot for every club he joins. Every club he has been at has made or won a GF while he was there, and the one that couldn't actually take home the trophy were the woeful Warriors.

super_coach

First Grade
17. Lachlan Fitzgibbon or possibly a new signing. Do not sign any of the Morris brothers unless really cheap. They are likely to be injured half the time. Maybe sign both, between the 2 you will get a season of first grade football.

The word is BozMoz was offered a contract at the Tigers and was keen to get on the bus, but it all turned sour when he asked for a FOUR year deal. The Tigers offered two years and to me that would have been a massive risk but four years would be madness

Latest posts