What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Incorrect

Coach
The word is BozMoz was offered a contract at the Tigers and was keen to get on the bus, but it all turned sour when he asked for a FOUR year deal. The Tigers offered two years and to me that would have been a massive risk but four years would be madness
Maybe it was a package deal with Josh.... 2 years for BMoz and 2 years for JMoz = 4 years?

They're both on the decline IMO. I would be looking at other targets if I was recruiting for any club out there...

Billythekid

First Grade
James Graham's manager has confirmed the Canterbury Bulldogs have told him he is free to look elsewhere for a club in 2018. The Newcastle Knights are looking very likely to sign him.

I actually think it may be in Graham's best interests to move on. The Dogs just look like a stale team, and have been together too long. Graham really could benefit from a fresh start and the Knights being up an coming team could be just the place.

Graham would be a good signing IMO. Gee things are really shaping up for the knights right now. It'd be great to see the knights competitive again especially with so much home grown talent.

The dogs on the other hand are a basket case. They're arguably the worst team this year and frankly things are looking worse next year. Not sure where to now for the dogs.

grouch

First Grade
Graham would be a sensational buy for the Knights. Nathan Brown on NRL 360 seemed to suggest it wouldn't happen... while still expressing his keenness for it

davi

Juniors
Graham would be a good signing IMO. Gee things are really shaping up for the knights right now. It'd be great to see the knights competitive again especially with so much home grown talent.

The dogs on the other hand are a basket case. They're arguably the worst team this year and frankly things are looking worse next year. Not sure where to now for the dogs.

Worst managed team too.

davi

Juniors
haha ok mate.

He didn't re-sign with the Cowboys because he (and more-so his father) believe that he's a better player than he is and is worth huge money, which he isn't YET. He didn't see the value in spending some more time in reserve grade developing his game, he didn't see any value in spending a couple of years training with a future immortal and learning everything he can from him. Instead, a desperate Newcastle come in with a massive overs offer and a promise to play first grade so he (and again, more-so his father) jump at the dollar signs. Good on them, its huge money and i don't begrudge him for taking it to be honest, I'm just glad the Cows didn't get suckered into a bidding war for an unprovan winger/fullback who could be a gun, or he could be another Karl Filiga!

So to counter your assertion that he would be in first grade right now if he had re-signed with us, thats just plain not true because thats the whole reason he didn't re-sign with us.

Ironically I've read today he will be recalled for the Sharks clash. Both make convincing arguments, but Green recalling him doesn't completely disprove the punishment theory. Green could have decided the injury toll on the Cowboys was so great that he no choice but to recall Ponga despite not wanting too. Cowboys can't really afford politics at this time of the season, they still not a certainty for a top eight spot and need all hands on deck.

Last edited:

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Ironically I've read today he will be recalled for the Sharks clash. Both make convincing arguments, but Green recalling him doesn't completely disprove the punishment theory. Green could have decided the injury toll on the Cowboys was so great that he no choice but to recall Ponga despite not wanting too. Cowboys can't really afford politics at this time of the season, they still a certainty for a top eight spot and need all hands on deck.

His hand would be forced to pick him if injuries are that bad.

All clubs only have scope to pick players outside their top teir squad based on a second teir salary cap.

Once you tap that out, you either ask for dispensation, or have no choice but to pick a fit and able player in your squad despite the fact you don't like his decision to leave.

jason taylor

Bench
I can believe the punishment theory. In the few first grade games Ponga has played he's shown more than Javid Bowen, yet he's behind Bowen in the pecking order. Ponga being selected to debut in the finals last year shows how highly he's rated by the coaching staff there.

Spot On

Coach
I can believe the punishment theory. In the few first grade games Ponga has played he's shown more than Javid Bowen, yet he's behind Bowen in the pecking order. Ponga being selected to debut in the finals last year shows how highly he's rated by the coaching staff there.

Ah, common sense being used here.

super_coach

First Grade
I don't know man, the dogs are probably the most resilient club in the NRL

Once they find a suitable halves partner for Chase Stanley they'll be alright

Vic if the NRL keep strong on the cap, the Dogs are in for a few lean years. You only look how long the Tigers have struggled because of a badly managed salary cap.

Although I do take your point, the Dogs are never down for long, but I just do not see how they are going to compete with the big guns with their roster for 2018

davi

Juniors
They will weasel out of this. Probably get pommy clubs to pay them transfer fees for Eastwood, Morris Bros and Graham and then sign Cronk.

I remember hearing last week James Graham mother rang him last week and asked him if he was coming back to UK next year, he said he wasn't. I think Graham is intent on staying in NRL for the next couple years, the catch is he wants to do it at the Dogs and has knocked back the Knights requests. He recently indicated he would be open going to a new club.

Todd Carney will be welcome back to the NRL next year if he can find a club. Depends what clubs show interest. Bulldogs would be obvious one, but they have maxed out their credit. Carney has expressed interest in being open to signing with the Knights as well.

He's made mistakes, if hasn't learnt his lesson by now he never will.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...set-for-nrl-return/ar-AAqcKVo?ocid=spartandhp

I doubt even the Knights would be that desperate to sign him. Carney has had repeated chances and shown every time he has learnt 0 from his previous stuff up. Signing Carney would undermine what the Knights, and just about every other club are trying to build, with his off field antics.