What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

we really need to upgrade one of either Hastings or Gamble (or both)
agree
I still reckon it's all AOB's fault.
no doubt he should have done better, but in all honesty we arent winning a Premiership anytime soon unless a) we get TPD or b) we have a decent pathways

was looking at the 2023 and 2022 U19's SOO sides and the only juniors we had in those teams we've already let go, I just dont understand. Someone at the club is off their chops

Woody90

Juniors
Yeah but there was a lot of noise about Pearce leaving well before it was announced. I’m pretty sure we signed Clune to replace him didn’t we? Should have gone for Reynolds with a bit of foresight.

There may have been noise beforehand, I can’t remember, but either way he didn’t make the call to ask for an immediate release until November. Cant just go and offer Reynolds a contract in June when we have no confirmation Pearce was actually not going to be there. He was under contract. Cant force him to leave and if he didn’t we’d be breaching the cap. Reynolds was signed by Broncos in June 2021, Pearce didn’t finally make his decision until
November. Clune was on a lot less and could fit him under contract regardless of what Pearce did.

I’m usually all for giving it to the club for their mistakes but not much they could have done there. It was a shit situation all round, Pearce wasn’t in a good place mentally but he asked for a release so late it really did f**k us over, especially for 2022.

Last edited:

HarVeeGee

Juniors

I think this kid is the answer to our spine dilemma btw. I know he plays mostly fullback (some centre) in juniors, but I think he’s pretty clearly got the skill base for five-eighth, and I’m of the view there can be a “too big” for fullback. A couple of pre-seasons worth of bulk on Connor and he may get there.

I’ve been told that his playmaking/link play as a ball player has been a bigger emphasis in how they set up to use him as his junior career has gone on, I’m sure at least partially because just running downhill and scoring heaps of tries because you’re too big & strong isn’t great prep for playing against first graders, but also potentially because they’ve had the thought that he may play one off the ruck a lot more in higher grades if we’re gonna fit him into the team (not just in first grade - Fletcher Sharpe has looked really good as the NSW Cup fullback and doesn’t much look like a guy who could play another position).

I am someone who rolls my eyes a bit at how much hype some of our juniors get, but Votano to me looks like he’s in that Bradman Best category of potentially elite attributes. He looks like Matt Burton and Kalyn Ponga had a baby.

Knight Tales

Juniors

I think this kid is the answer to our spine dilemma btw. I know he plays mostly fullback (some centre) in juniors, but I think he’s pretty clearly got the skill base for five-eighth, and I’m of the view there can be a “too big” for fullback. A couple of pre-seasons worth of bulk on Connor and he may get there.

I’ve been told that his playmaking/link play as a ball player has been a bigger emphasis in how they set up to use him as his junior career has gone on, I’m sure at least partially because just running downhill and scoring heaps of tries because you’re too big & strong isn’t great prep for playing against first graders, but also potentially because they’ve had the thought that he may play one off the ruck a lot more in higher grades if we’re gonna fit him into the team (not just in first grade - Fletcher Sharpe has looked really good as the NSW Cup fullback and doesn’t much look like a guy who could play another position).

I am someone who rolls my eyes a bit at how much hype some of our juniors get, but Votano to me looks like he’s in that Bradman Best category of potentially elite attributes. He looks like Matt Burton and Kalyn Ponga had a baby.
They may get hyped but there is no denying they go onto become first graders at other clubs, and hold their positions more often than not.

Old dog

Juniors
Realistically those that left such as King, Meaney etc are playing for better teams and systems without mentioning Coach so they are going to seem better but in actual fact are better coached and utilised.
We need to improve in that area

Latest posts