What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

K-Man

Bench
The frustrating thing for Brown (and the fans) is that we're stuck in a cycle we can't get out of - we can't attract good spine players because we're a losing team, but we're a losing team largely because we have the NRL's worst spine. I think if you actually put a quality half and fullback in there over the past few years, our record of 6 wins from 51 might be significantly better. There are countless matches in those 45 losses you could argue we were at least competitive and the match was 'winnable' with a superior couple of key position players to help get us over the line. We've never had them, and credible losses has sadly become our version of a solid win.

I'd go as far as suggesting that if we had actually got Ash Taylor instead of Hodko, we could avoid the spoon this year. The difference between winning and losing any NRL game that ends up being a less than 12 points margin is very small. So many things contribute to the result in 80 minutes, and when you don't have that little bit of class in the spine, you don't take your opportunities, you don't get the points you deserve while you're on top, and you end up losing in all sorts of frustrating circumstances.

So basically we look like a basket case from the outside, but as Brown himself has said recently, if we could just get one big name player to sign, it might lead to 3 or 4.

Brown was very unlucky to inherit Hodko. He's made all the right moves getting rid of the dead wood, and he's ready to rebuild, but nobody wants to come here because the actual process has made us look too dire to get involved with. I actually don't think we are that dire anymore. I genuinely believe if we had picked up Foran and Graham, plus one other middle forward, the whole style of play and future prospects of the team would have improved massively. All of a sudden we wouldn't be that basket case people are scared of. But we just can't get the first top player over the line to start the chain reaction, even though if we already had just one stronger spine player and one decent prop in the past two years things wouldn't look as bad as they do.

I don't know what the solution is now. Brown has done everything I could have hoped for, and it still isn't working.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Bennett, self proclaimed best coach everer, couldn't do better and bolted when it looked like hard work.

The coach isn't the problem, the NRL is.

Don't worry Mac the NRL is on the ball. They have a great new strategy in mind for our club, it's called "give us more of your money suckers"...

Nf1eHlH.gif

What history do they have in mind? 3 spoon years in a row? Relocation? Abandonment?

Yosh

Coach
If Rep players won't come for SUPERSTAR money then we need to sign the best youngster on Rep money and hope for the best. Ponga and perhaps one more STAR youngster on Rep money will be a good start.

I also want to stop reading this thread... It's gonna give me bi-polar or something. We're getting BIRD... Oh no we're not... We're getting FORAN... Oh no we're not.. Up Down Up Down...

I'll just link this here:

Burwood

Bench
So we just writing off 2018 to another spoon then? Brownie and Gids will get punted if so.

There is a long way to go before our 2018 roster needs to be finalised and we even start to think about having the wooden spoon. Last year we signed Buhrer, who was still under contract, in early October. Kostjasyn was signed a week later. If the dust settles from this signing spree and we still haven't managed to pick up a marquee signing or two, we'll have player managers knocking on our door to get their under contract players a better deal at our club. I still think we'll pick up another 2-3 players before the June 30 deadline to improve our current squad.

All I want is for Brown and Mooney to remain true and not throw stupid money at players of SKD's quality. Having seen how they stopped upping the contract of Bird once they felt his value was reached, I'm confident that they won't be doing that.

Johns Magic

Referee
Is Frawley off-contract? Can't find an answer on that.

I actually like SKD but yes he's rocks and diamonds and mostly rocks right now. However he is hard to bring down and a gutsy player. If we sign him for the right money I will choose to be optimistic.

K-Man

Bench
Is Frawley off-contract? Can't find an answer on that.

I actually like SKD but yes he's rocks and diamonds and mostly rocks right now. However he is hard to bring down and a gutsy player. If we sign him for the right money I will choose to be optimistic.

Don't quote me but I read somewhere recently he was contracted until end of 2018. Assuming that contract isn't worth much, Bulldogs really have no reason to even consider letting him go. If they see him as cover for Foran / Reynolds next year, it's great cheap cover to have.

If they let someone go it will surely be Mbye to free up space, and since Frawley looks a better prospect anyway on a fraction of the pay.

Shame though, because Frawley would at least be a start. We only have to look at how quickly Taylor, Elgey, Cleary, Martin etc became successful parts of the spine at their clubs to know that this a strategy worth consideration.

My view is that you can carry one rookie / average half, but not two. Sharks won the premiership with Townsend. Broncos won a comp with Lockyer and Shane Perry. I'd be more than comfortable with a Lamb, Frawley, Cogger or even Townsend type as a permanent fixture with upside, as long as they were partnered with a much better quality half. Right now what we have, and what we look like having next year, is a 6 AND 7 that would both rate in the bottom 5% of NRL playmakers. You just can't win games like that. We have to somehow do whatever it takes to upgrade at least one of these positions.

I am not a fan of Mbye, but he is still an upgrade on Hodko. There would at least be something to work with, and in theory the Dogs might have to pay some of his contract to ship him off to us. Don't get me wrong though, this wouldn't make me happy. I wanted way above Mbye level, but now I realise I was living in fantasy land.

I can't see the point in SDK. P Mat is doing ok but could be better. If Denniss progresses we might see Ross in centre.

I've heard Cordner's name floating around again. Long term goal I reckon. He'll always be on the radar but not a priority.

slotmachine

First Grade
I'd be taking Reynolds over Mbye.

Lamb has been going just as good as Cleary this year. Maybe worse defence though. In terms of tries, line-breaks and assists they are Lamb (9) Cleary (11).

In more good news Wests Tiger making a play for Gagai according to TripleM

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
I'd be taking Reynolds over Mbye.

Lamb has been going just as good as Cleary this year. Maybe worse defence though. In terms of tries, line-breaks and assists they are Lamb (9) Cleary (11).

In more good news Wests Tiger making a play for Gagai according to TripleM
So are the Dragons apparently...

Swarzey

Bench
I'll be shocked if Gagai leaves. Bloke has had what? 3, 4 maybe even more opportunities to leave the club but also leave for more successful clubs and has refused to do so. He's incredibly loyal to the Knights.

I'll be shocked if Gagai leaves. Bloke has had what? 3, 4 maybe even more opportunities to leave the club but also leave for more successful clubs and has refused to do so. He's incredibly loyal to the Knights.
Ditto.
He sees the club and region as turning him around. Prior to us he was up at night playing games and late to training.
A year ago I would have let him go.
Lately he has shown some form. I hope it isn't just because his contract may be up.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Centre Blake Ferg
Prop Albert Vete/Asiata
Second Row/Lock Guerra

Thats where i'd start.

Now the Roosters and Dogs are going to need to release players, but also means that youngsters will find it hard to get in, so take one or two of their best juniors and term them into the players we have lost over the years, build from the ground up.

1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. Gagai
4. Ferguson
5. Sio
6. Phythian
7. Lamb
8. Vete
9. Levi
10. D Saifiti
11. Sione M
12. Barnett
13. Guerra

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
Centre Blake Ferg
Prop Albert Vete/Asiata
Second Row/Lock Guerra

Thats where i'd start.

I'm resigned to the fact that we won't sign a good half. I think we're best off making do with Lamb, Cogger and Pythian (all of whom I actually rate anyway) and focusing our attention on other positions.

Centre: Blake Ferguson

Prop: James Graham, Scott Bolton and Ben Matulino

1.Kalyn Ponga
2.Nathan Ross
3.Dane Gagai
4.Blake Ferguson
5.Ken Sio
6.Dylan Pythian
7.Brock Lamb
8.James Graham
9.Danny Levi
10.Ben Matulino
11.Sione Mata'utia (c)
12.Jamie Buhrer
13.Mitch Barnett

14.Joe Wardle
15.Scott Bolton
16.Daniel Saifiti
17.Pauli Pauli

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Having a look at the off contract list there's a few players I would like us to pick up that would be realtively cheap to sign. While we struggle to sign marquees these guys could help our squad. Not saying we should get all of these guys but I think we shoudl have a closer look at them

Joe Ofahengaue - Young with potential and stuck behind a stcked Broncos pack
John Asiata - Has been very underrated for a long time at the Cowboys and would thrive with a larger role
Ryan Hoffman - Still has a fair bit left imo and would be a great veteran and leader for the team
Johnny Tuivasa Sheck - Struggled with injuries but has alot of talent, low risk and big reward
Nelson Asofa Solomona - Probably the most expensive and hardest to get but has huge potential
Sitaleki Akauola - Runs very hard and would add some much needed aggression
Fa'amanu Brown - Been a big fan for a while. Stuck behind Maloney and Townsend
Shaun Nona - Reminds me of Cody Walker, been a star in the QLD Cup for a long time but never has a chance
Kevin Naiqama - Have always been a fan and could add much needed depth to our outside backs
Peni Terepo - Always thought he was underrated. A solid forward who would help our forward pack
Kato Ottio - Been a gun in Canberra's reserves for a while but hasn't got an oppurtuinity
Adam Elliott - Has a bit of potential and could be squeezed out at the dogs
Albert Vete - Good young forward with potential to get better
Matt Ballin - If Kostjasyn has to retire hw could be a decent mentor to Levi if he has anything left to give
Jordan Drew - Seen him play a bit for junior rep teams and Newtown, hasn't been given an oppurtunity

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
While I 100% agree with brown dropping Hodkinson it worries me that we will be playing Feeney or Pearsall in first grade. Surely we are having a look around at a Nona or Brown to get an early release and sign them this year and see what they have

Spot On

Coach
Good list. I like a couple you've mentioned.

Matt Ballin is an obvious no go due to injuries. We already have a bloke on big dollars and 'chronic' knee issues.

I was hoping we might push up the price for Brisbane's young front rowers. Can't let the TPA companies in Brisbane get into the player market without paying their fair share. Pangai Jr and Ese'Ese need their price pushed through the roof and we could easily offer our help in that area.

Spot On

Coach
While I 100% agree with brown dropping Hodkinson it worries me that we will be playing Feeney or Pearsall in first grade. Surely we are having a look around at a Nona or Brown to get an early release and sign them this year and see what they have

I think Nathan Brown has hinted at as much in the article in the DT. Without mentioning any names he's pretty much made his mind up there will be a new half at the club next year. Not sure if we get one any earlier????

Latest posts