Rumoured Targets 3

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights' started by CobyDelaney, Aug 19, 2015.

1. perverse

perverse Referee

Fitzgibbon has barely played more good games than can be counted on a single hand. The guy has tonnes to prove long term yet. There's promise there for sure, but there's a ways to go before he's an automatic start over any of our other options, including Sione. He may not even make the regular 17 next year.

Barnett has done enough to say he'll be in there somewhere, but I wouldn't say is guaranteed much more of a start than Sione. Barnett might have got player of the year, but Sione was named captain for a period, too. The coach obviously thinks highly of both. More than likely we're approaching a point where form will play a significant part in who is picked week to week, and that's a good place to be.

I'd be surprised if anyone in the squad is a 100% lock to start at this point, especially in the forwards. Ponga and Watson pretty likely to get first shot at 1 and 6 provided they have good off seasons, although Lamb and Hodkinson could certainly change that equation too.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Noname36 likes this.
  2. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

So are we going to buy another prop or two so they or someone already signed can play cup but are dead against signing a hooker to cover Levi. At this stage nearly everyone has consigned Fitz and King with others likely if more signings. Can't improve the team and keep your favourites

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Bench

This.

It's a great thing to have options.

4. macavity

macavity Coach

If we wanted a back up hooker, Lichaa was the choice.

Griffin is an undersized back rower who fills in at hooker. And again, we have that player in Buhrer.

He doesn't improve our team.

Hence my confusion.

slotmachine likes this.
  5. Hardcore_Fan

Hardcore_Fan Juniors

Surely that last spot comes down to fitzgibbon vs griffin. Even though you can only count fitzgibbons good games on one hand, it's probably more than griffin. In those good games fitzgibbon has played he has shown that he can really swing momentum in a game, try scoring forwards that run those lines are a great asset to have.

Obviously is that end of season form drops off or he slackens off at training, it opens the door wide open for griffin.

This is just what I think will happen. My personal opinion is that Sione should drop off, but that won't happen. Sione is a turnstile even at second row and has ran a good line about 3 times last season. But whatever. Out of anyone that needs time in reserves to work on his game, sione is the one that needs it the most even though he has played 100 games, he has played less good games than fitzgibbon did.

6. perverse

perverse Referee

I wouldn't have Fitzgibbon ahead of Sione or Griffin unless he slays it during the off-season and trials. I wouldn't have anyone locked in bar the 2 names I mentioned, though... I think D Saifiti is the only forward I would have locked in, with Ese'ese to feature somewhere but not necessarily a starter. The backrow is very open for mine, and each one of them will have to earn it between now and then.

Hardcore_Fan likes this.
  7. macavity

macavity Coach

If Guerra carries over his late season form, he is instantly our best back rower, possibly forward full stop.

Noname36 and Dave_ like this.
  8. mozza91

mozza91 Bench

It's nice to be debating about quality players like Buhrer, Barnett and Sione getting a spot as opposed to debating about Josh Starling, Stockwell or Bhana.

Caped Crusader, Dave_, Gravy and 7 others like this.
  9. Jono078

Jono078 Coach

IMO Lichaa is one of the worst hookers going around. Would be like bringing Waddell back.

10. Mr_Knightside

Mr_Knightside Juniors

It's true that Lichaa hasn't shown much during his time at the dogs but a lot of that is down to the system that Hasler has in place, he prefers his no.9 to be a tackling machine and just pass the ball to front rowers all day. Look at the difference in Michael Ennis between what he played like at the Dogs and then the Sharks, almost a totally different player and he has even said post career that Des stifled his attacking skill set. I would be happy to get Lichaa but it doesn't look like that'll happen now that it looks like we'll get Griffin.

11. slotmachine

slotmachine Bench

Lichaa was dynamite in the last few rounds of the season after he came out and said he was ignoring the coach.

macavity likes this.
  12. Jono078

Jono078 Coach

To be fair, I didn't see these games.

What I had seen of him in the past I thought he was well below average for the amount he was talked up.

Happy to take yours and Mr Knightside's word that he is better than what I've seen.

13. Spot On

Spot On First Grade

I'd take Lichaa at the right price without hesitation. Des has nearly ruined his career but luckily he has time on his side.

What sort of coach tells the 9 not to run???????????? He is obsessed with having a defensive 9 in the modern game. God help him if they ever do away with the interchange.

14. Spot On

Spot On First Grade

...and apparently Des sent word out to him to stop running!!!! Surely that has to be BS?

15. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

To be fair to him the Dogs absolutely killed his creativity. Certainly not the first one it's happened to there either.

16. Caped Crusader

Caped Crusader Juniors

Again, he is a depth player. A guy who is in the mix for FG sure, but is there to cover injuries in reality. There is no way Brown has guaranteed him anything except a chance to prove himself. Noone in the squad has a free ride

I really don't get how you are missing that fact, twice

17. macavity

macavity Coach

He has an offer on the table from the Storm. He is currently on their bench. He has come out and said he is chasing minutes. Obviously he is coming here on an understanding of where he sits in the pecking order and the role he is expected to play. Of course everyone has to "earn their place" but if you seriously think players and coaches don't discuss expectations I have a bridge to sell you.

I don't get how you continue to miss that, champ.

18. Caped Crusader

Caped Crusader Juniors

I haven't missed that at all, I said he was in the mix for 1sts. He is on the bench for the Storm cause Brandon Smith, the guy ahead of Griffin, is injured. He'd otherwise be playing for the Sunshine Coast.

However, we have a top squad of 25 that needs redundancy and he is part of that. I'm sure Brown has said he'll get a good shot at a top 17 spot every week, something that is not likely at the Storm given where he sits in their current pecking order.

19. Burwood

Burwood Bench

I'm with Macca on this- based on our current 2018 squad, his signing just doesn't make sense. He doesn't come across as a genuine hooker who would be an ideal cover for Levi if he were to pick up a long term injury. He seems like a poor man's Buhrer, and I don't see why we need a poor man's Buhrer when we already have Buhrer in our squad.

With the strength of our backrow next year, and no matter which players are selected as starters or on the bench, there's no way we should be running out with Levi, Buhrer and Griffin in the top 17. And it seems strange that he'd sign with the wooden spooners when he's only going to get a run if Levi or Buhrer are injured.

This is probably the only signing by Brown that I can't quite figure out. You'd think we'd have enough back up hookers in Phythian, Pearsall and Starling already in the lower grades.

20. Caped Crusader

Caped Crusader Juniors

Pearsall isn't being resigned. Pythian is behind a rehab 8 ball. Starling is unproven in 1st grade

Brown has stated many times he is looking for a 1st grade ready hooker back up

It makes perfect sense