What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

otori

Juniors
I am sure he doesn't want to play reserves but he might have to, what is your slant on it.

Well he can't stay in Melbourne as he'll be playing for QCup guaranteed next year with the two Smiths aroubd around. We're probably offering a shade over what Melbourne were and an offer of opportunity if he impresses. Our hooker situation is unsettled.

K-Man

Bench
Way too much second guessing going on about a squad player looking for a bigger opportunity. If he stays at Melbourne he's not second fiddle, he's third fiddle. He knows this. If he comes to Newcastle he's joining a team starting at the bottom and moving in the right direction, with a coach proven to give opportunities to players based on effort, commitment, training, leadership etc.

To players like Griffin, coming to Newcastle is not as simple as "where will I fit in the 17?". Brown will not have guaranteed him anything but a fair chance to play a lot of NRL depending on form, injury, team balance. There's nothing wrong with that. The good teams have players champing at the bit for a go in first grade.

Why do we need to know now, in September, where Griffin will play one way or the other? I doubt Brown knows. I doubt Griffin knows, or even cares yet. What he does know and care about is that he will have every chance to make his mark because we're a club that won't hesitate to back him when the time comes.

It's a long season and things happen. My prediction would be that you will all be correct in some way - he won't be first choice if everyone is fit, Buhrer will fill in at dummy half to cover for Levi, Fitzy will make the bench, but Griffin will play 8+ NRL games purely by hovering around as 18th man every week and being versatile. He'll be named in the 21 on Tuesday every week and he'll play as much or as little as required based on how the season pans out. Whatever happens will likely be an upgrade in his career NRL involvement.

I don't understand why we need to call him a top 17 player or a a bad recruit like it has to be one or the other. In the premier league very good players go to new clubs to play more minutes, players much higher up the food chain than Slade Griffin. It's all about building a competitive and adaptable squad.

K-Man

Bench
8. Ese'ese
9. Buhrer / Levi
10. D Saifiti
11. Guerra
12. S Mata'utia
13. Barnett

14. Levi / Buhrer
15. Fitzgibbon
16. J Saifiti
17. Lillyman

18. Griffin
19. King

Not that much to debate is there? It's hardly a "not even worth coming here" situation for Griffin to be a highly versatile back-up at the wooden spooners rather than a highly versatile back-up at the premiers (probably) with two international hookers in front of him.

All it will take is an injury to Levi or Buhrer and he'll be in the 17. Same if Guerra, Sione, Fitzgibbon or Barnett get injured, because Buhrer will take an edge forward position as Griffin will be the new Buhrer.

In other words, if any of 6 different players are unavailable, Griffin will play. Realistically that means he will play A LOT of NRL.

Old dog

Juniors
K-man .... well said all of above, makes a lot of sense. Can see a position for Griffin.
Also means he is part of a large squad rather than floating between Melb-Brisbane. More settled life to concentrate on the footie.

Spot On

Coach
I would have thought Griffin would be looking to play more NRL. More games snd more game time. Not sign on to be the 3rd choice hooker.

I was also under the assumption Brown was still looking to recruit another backrower??? If so, Griffin's utility value in the backrow decreases even less.

Glendale

Juniors
In 2018, even with a bigger and more talented squad, I believe Brown will stick to the principles he's set so far and will continue to pick on form not on reputation. Remember round 1 this year when he gave debuts to Stone and Yates (admittedly amongst a squad with less depth of choice), because they were the hardest trainers in the offseason and had earnt their place in the team. Stone didn't even have a first grade contract iirc and Yates was bassically the only guy who didn't get a debut in 2016, not rated good enough. It took until about round 10, and 10 rounds of great Reserve Grade form for Fitzgibbon to break into the side, and when he got there his form ensured he stayed. Browny has set the right culture at the place and players like Griffin will know if they work hard enough they'll be rewarded.

K-Man

Bench
I would have thought Griffin would be looking to play more NRL. More games snd more game time. Not sign on to be the 3rd choice hooker.

I was also under the assumption Brown was still looking to recruit another backrower??? If so, Griffin's utility value in the backrow decreases even less.

Did you see my post above? I just don't see how it's a big deal worth worrying about. Griffin can obviously see that we have Levi as No.1 and Buhrer as a utility who is better suited to playing on the edge. And that's it. Very different to the Australian hooker and Kiwi hooker at the best club in the NRL being in front of you. We know that it won't take much for Buhrer to find himself in the backrow (basically one or two injuries and Buhrer will be an auto pick on the edge again), meaning Griffin would probably come straight onto the bench as the utility. And if Levi doesn't play, Griffin may well start in the 9.

The reality is that Griffin WILL play more NRL here than he would at the Storm. So that's the upgrade for him. If you don't look at it in such a black and white way (i.e. he's 3rd choice hooker there and 3rd choice hooker here too), it's really quite obvious why the Knights represents a better chance of more first grade for a player at his age in his position.

Griffin may not be in the 17 for Round 1. Maybe he will be. Either way, he will be right on the cusp every week. What are clubs supposed to do, pick their 17 favourite players and then just give up on the rest and don't even bother recruiting any depth in case it offends the depth player?

K-Man

Bench
In summary, for the Knights Griffin is a replacement for Rory and an upgrade on Randell in one cheap but reasonably experienced package from a good system, and for Griffin the Knights is a genuine opportunity to play regular or at least semi-regular first grade rather than filling in for a game during Origin.

It's a completely run of the mill signing, it makes sense for both parties, there are no guarantees and welcome aboard. Only fans would feel the need to work out exactly what's going to happen next year; Brown and Griffin will be looking way bigger picture than trying to pick the best 17 players 6 months in advance.

Spot On

Coach
Yep good points K-Man.

For Griffin, the big question is whether Brown will plan to play Levi for 80 mins in 2018 a lot of the time???

K-Man

Bench
Yep good points K-Man.

For Griffin, the big question is whether Brown will plan to play Levi for 80 mins in 2018 a lot of the time???

Cheers. Just don't think Griffin is the signing worth us worrying about that's all. It is what it is, pretty standard stuff to replace outgoing utilities with a cheap utility who wants an opportunity.

I don't think Levi will be an 80 minute player every week next season personally. Could happen, but seems unlikely.

macavity

Referee
Way too much second guessing going on about a squad player looking for a bigger opportunity.

Yep, I am defo overthinking it.

I just think we have left better players on the table - I must be the only one who sees a special player in Lichaa.

Glendale

Juniors
Storm/Broncos and Roosters/Cowboys prelim finals means the Knights are guarenteed to have a premiership winner joining them next year!

Guerra and Watson at the Roosters, Ponga at the Cowboys, Moga and Herman at the Broncos and Griffin at the Storm ;)

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Yep, I am defo overthinking it.

I just think we have left better players on the table - I must be the only one who sees a special player in Lichaa.
I don't disagree with you re Lichaa being a good hooker. He is

However he is a starter and 80min player. He is more than likely demanding much more money than Griffin and won't be settling for a Reggie position

If we were losing Levi or he was turning into a dud then I'd be all for going after him but we aren't and he isn't. We aren't the Broncos, we can't afford to have FGers sitting in reggies

macavity

Referee
I don't disagree with you re Lichaa being a good hooker. He is

However he is a starter and 80min player. He is more than likely demanding much more money than Griffin and won't be settling for a Reggie position

If we were losing Levi or he was turning into a dud then I'd be all for going after him but we aren't and he isn't. We aren't the Broncos, we can't afford to have FGers sitting in reggies

It's not like Lichaa has options at present. Good teams grab quality on the cheap to create competition for spots. He would be cheap, there isn't much of a market for him. Watch a top team grab him cheap to play reggies and fight for a spot.

Old dog

Juniors
We should at least be making Lichha an offer to his worth, got away with Levi for full season 2017 but what happens if injured serious in 2018. Good a player as Griffin is and the emerging talent of Starling the hooking position worries me. We will have highly paid players in res. in other positions so why not hooker and it will put pressure on Levi to perform and develop further.

I know carney is a idiot,but he is still a great footballer.lets get him on the cheap for depth in the halves,he even said he will do anything to get in the nrl even a train on contract.we could get him for peanuts, with the obvious behaviour clauses in his contract.i believe he wont play up anymore cause he will be completely screwed if he does.no real risks in this one with plenty of upside for us .

Latest posts