What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

B-dos

Referee
i hear farah is already in talks with souths and they are the likely destination

Noname36

First Grade
To be honest I think I'd rather sign Toleman and bank on Levi than sign Farah. I think his best footy is behind him and he seems to have a real attitude problem. I know a lot of Tigers fans and they all say he causes a lot of the drama there. Not sure we need that at the moment.

It wouldn't happen anyway.

perverse

Referee
To be honest I think I'd rather sign Toleman and bank on Levi than sign Farah. I think his best footy is behind him and he seems to have a real attitude problem. I know a lot of Tigers fans and they all say he causes a lot of the drama there. Not sure we need that at the moment.

It wouldn't happen anyway.

Me too, even if he came at the right price I don't think I'd be interested. Too old, not in a position we're desperate or have no prospects in and a destabilizing influence to boot. The guys ego is absolutely tremendous. I think he'll end up at Souffs or Super League.

voltron

Juniors
well if McManus will retire then perhaps we can get both?
well if farah is 1 mill over first two years, it could be possible?

otori

Juniors
We have enough outside backs. Ross has proven a capable fill in plus Chanel and Pat. Cheap wingers are the answer.

Shenry4

Juniors
Half-price Farah? Yeees pleeaaase!

Farah starting with Levi off the bench sounds great especially for Levi's development learning off an origin number 9.

If we get Hodko and Tolam. Hodko and Farah or fingers crossed Hodko, Tolman and Farah:

2015 THE GREATEST RECRUITMENT YEAR IN NEWCASTLES HISTORY!!!!!!!

I'm excited :shock:

perverse

Referee
To be honest, I think this highlights an interesting "issue" for us... who do we go after next assuming we get Hodko and Tolman for next year? I would say that leaves us with no outrageously obvious weaknesses in the squad. The pack will be pretty stacked when you consider Stockwell is due back, Mickey Paea is on the way and Tapine will be a year older... with only Scott out the door.

The outside backs have undergone some serious culling this year - and that needed to be the case. Assuming McManus is gorn, and that's a sad way for his career to end, I think we might be a little light on out wide. We don't need superstars out there - we have enough of those - but we do need competent backups... and I think we may only have 1 or 2 of those left at most... although I guess Ross might be an option as depth (not a fan of him at all personally).

The problem is we have banked on a lot of young talent in the team, and until we know whether they'll make it or not - with Mamo and Levi being the most important question marks - we really can't go throwing too much more cash around, even if we have it in reserve. The best thing we could do with any more money we have for next year would be to front-load more contracts for mine, and continue team-building into next year. If we take a legitimate view that the team will take another 2 recruitment seasons to get "right" - then there's no reason to panic and I would say job is done for next year.

Some confidence in our admin is starting to creep in for me, and it's a weird feeling... but the noises out of the club have been on-song probably since the KnightsRebuild campaign started kicking up a stink. Whether it had much to do with the direction, or just made the club aware it NEEDS to be more transparent... I couldn't say... but it seems to have flicked a switch somewhere, because cogs started moving almost immediately after.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
It was an interesting turn around. The club went from saying everything was fine and we wouldn't be recruiting anyone for 2016, to signing a halfback, punting Roberts, looking to move Houston on etc.

Although BJ did Midley a big favour. If he doesn't leave we don't have the $$$ for Hodko.

I don't see any obvious positions where we need to spend money really. As you say, there is a lot of cash tied up in potential, so it's time to see if it's money well spent.

If Tolman signs on and injuries are kind we might sneak into the eight next year.

Last edited:

harrywilliams

Juniors
We have Josh Birch, QLD rep centre/winger who's a big guy, strong defender and really hard to stop close to the line. Braden Robson, Aus rep centre, looks outstanding and a Mids 2.0. Ken Tofilau, New Zealand's domestic player of the year and junior NZ rep, played his first NSW Cup game on the weekend and scored a really nice try. Then of course we have Pat, Chanel, Ross so I think we'll be okay, fingers crossed we won't have to scrape the barrel next year. I wouldn't mind someone like Vuna coming back for a year or two on the cheap. If only we didn't sign Lowrie. I still can't comprehend that, it's like giving money away for nothing.

I'm undecided on Farah, if he's going to take money away from getting guys like Tolman then no but if we can somehow fit both in then hell yes. Levi is obviously the priority, he's no doubt going to be a star. I'm not entirely convinced with Clydsdale and Randell just yet. Maybe leaving the Tigers will take a few chips off Farah's shoulders.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
It depends how desperate the Tigers are. If they kicked in 500k, you could punt Clydesdale and Randall, find another 100k and get 2 years of Farah for free basically.

Be crazy not to.

perverse

Referee
It was an interesting turn around. The club went from saying everything was fine and we wouldn't be recruiting anyone for 2016, to signing a halfback, punting
Roberts, looking to move Houston on etc.

Although BJ did Midley a big favour. If he doesn't leave we don't have the $$$ for Hodko.

No-one has done us a bigger favour this year than BJ, that's for sure. What a dumbass.

perverse

Referee
It depends how desperate the Tigers are. If they kicked in 500k, you could punt Clydesdale and Randall, find another 100k and get 2 years of Farah for free basically.

Be crazy not to.

If you think he's the kind of character you want around the team, sure. Can't stand the bloke personally, has his head so far up his own arse he can see the plaque on the back of his teeth. Exactly the kind of mentality I would like to see removed from the team, not added to it. I wouldn't care if he had played 1000 games for Australia and NSW, he's not a good option for mine because of who he is. He is murder on team cohesion - both from a leadership perspective, he seems to be constantly offside with those above him - and a playing-style perspective of every match being an opportunity for the "Robbie Farah" show to do everything.

Honestly, I think you'd be crazy to look at Farah when your primary mandate is building for the future. Bollocks to anyone who suggests he'd be a good influence on Levi or anyone else when we have a real champion hooker in Buderus around the team, too.

Even at the best price possible, still a huge, apparently "crazy" no thanks from me. Will set us back more than his 2 twilight years are worth. Personally I think you're mad thinking it's a good idea.

Rod

Bench
Does Ballin have a destination next year yet? I'd almost rather we make him an offer than Farah.

perverse

Referee
Getting Farah would be an extremely Bennett-esque, buy a premiership in the next year or 2 kind of move. The irony that slot thinks it's a good idea is overwhelming for me, actually.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Not interested in Farah.

Is a fine player, but we just made our highest profile signing in years, and in each origin game they have played together, they just don't combine well. There were other factors, like Gallen and Bird getting in the way, but Farah just didn't seem to want to give it to Hodkinson. I know that wouldn't happen at club level, but I rate Clydesdale higher than most here, and Levi is the future. We are not lacking in the Rake department.

Tolman is a big yes, from me. Please make it happen.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Centre is our depth issue. Outside of our 2 FGers Gags and Sione, we have who? Chanel, Pat,...? Neither Birch or Robson have impressed me. Not very inspiring

I like Ross, he is enthusiastic (probably cause he is older and wants to make the most of his chances) and has looked solid. He can fill a wing or fullback role nicely but certainly not centre

If we get Tolman ill be happy with out pack and its backups.

Hooker is our weakest position. Randell is ok as a stop gap, Clydesdale is slowly getting better, but isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Id take Farah for no longer than 2 years, for the right price and not at the expence of Levi. If Clydesdale and Randall had to be moved on, I wouldn't be fussed.

I think Farah would do well at a new club, a change of scenery. He wouldn't be the top dog here, Mullen, hokko and Rochow would.

perverse

Referee
I've been a bit hot and cold on Clydsdale. I feel like there's a good little hooker in there. His defence is lightyears ahead of our other options imo, he sat McClean on his arse running full pelt at him on Monday night (at least I think it was McClean, could have been Asofa-Solomona... it was #18 or #19 anyway). His kicking game is real and is effective, too... we just don't see it enough for whatever reason. I also think his service game is as good or better than any other hooker at the club at this stage, although Levi may change that opinion if I get to see some more of him.

The only thing I think Clydsdale really lacks at this point is a legitimately threatening running game. It's an important part of a modern hooker, but I don't think it's beyond him. I believe Levi will surpass him at some point... but between the 2 of them, I don't think we're bad off at all. I'd like to keep Clydsdale as depth when that happens, assuming another club doesn't snap him up. I truly don't care what happens with Randell at this stage... he's in the Ross bucket for me. Strictly depth, not legitimate NRL quality players. Hard workers, though.

Hooker probably is our weakest position, but I don't think it's nearly weak enough to gamble irresponsibly on Farah. I see a lot of heartache if Farah comes here.