What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Surely there's no chance we accept that dud deal. 200k means nothing for us but Hodkinson means a lot to them. Why the hell would we do Manly a favour? They need him but we don't need 200k. Play hardball with the grubs, the shoes on the other foot now so let's stomp 'em with it.

Put it this way, Manly would never have given us a deal like that

Look at the big picture, it gets hodko out of the club, means we start NSW cup with 6. Lamb
7. Cogger
Giving them a chance to play week in week out with a chance to come up if watson falls apart.

Johns Magic

Referee
Look at the big picture, it gets hodko out of the club, means we start NSW cup with 6. Lamb
7. Cogger
Giving them a chance to play week in week out with a chance to come up if watson falls apart.

Doesn't mean we should just be giving Hodkinson away for free to another club who really wants him. We could achieve the same as you're suggesting by playing him in the Real NRL.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Knights gain nothing by giving him away for that cheap.
They Gain the fact that Lamb and Cogger will both be playing week in week out, it gets Hodko off our books.

Gives us a little more money, which can be spent on upgrading some existing deals, and leaves a roster spot open for someone else to step up.

We letting him go cheap, but anyone who has watched him can see he will struggle with the week to week grind, he will be shot by week 15-18 and leave manly with no option but to play someone like Hastings, who from all reports is a downright muppet.

Johns Magic

Referee
They Gain the fact that Lamb and Cogger will both be playing week in week out

We would achieve the same making him play Real NRL which is a perfectly fine option.

Gives us a little more money, which can be spent on upgrading some existing deals, and leaves a roster spot open for someone else to step up.

We letting him go cheap, but anyone who has watched him can see he will struggle with the week to week grind, he will be shot by week 15-18 and leave manly with no option but to play someone like Hastings, who from all reports is a downright muppet.

Manly gain a lot more than us under this arrangement. I think it could be made more equitable.

PhilGould

Bench
They Gain the fact that Lamb and Cogger will both be playing week in week out, it gets Hodko off our books.

Lamb & Cogger can be the NSW Cup halves regardless of whether Hodkinson stays or goes.

It saves us $200k, but that hardly means anything when we're already so far under the cap, in fact it puts us further away from the salary floor.

We're finally in the position of power in one of these situations and I wouldn't be just rolling over and giving Manly what they want. They can pay half, or they can throw in Brian Kelly.

Old dog

Juniors
Think for the future, all being fit, Pearce/Watson 1sts, Cogger/Lamb res. Hodko wherever if still with us, he will be an overpaid player no matter what but don't see the point in using him to justify payment. If he moves on then end of story, top bloke but no longer the player he was.

Spot On

Coach
Just lol at the money our players were on before Brown and now we can't spend it all even after significantly upgrading all positions and depth.

Has Mick Hagan praised Brown's recruitment lately or is he still jabbing away with 'you can't let players like Gagai go?'

Still Nutty

Juniors
Just lol at the money our players were on before Brown and now we can't spend it all even after significantly upgrading all positions and depth.

Has Mick Hagan praised Brown's recruitment lately or is he still jabbing away with 'you can't let players like Gagai go?'
Wouldn't know...I have chosen not to listen to a word out of his mouth since he left us, stitched up with so much dead wood under exorbitantly over-inflated contract prices....he is dead to me:mad:

Yosh

Coach
Man... This is a pickle... I don't want to do Manly any favors but Trent has been a champ while he's been here and I'd hate for us to hold him back just to spite Manly (plus other legitimate reasons)... I'd be happy to get 200k from an ESL club, pay whatever else we owe him and see him do well over there. Helping Manly isn't something I EVER want to do.

Spot On

Coach
if letting Hodko go to Manly means keeping them the f**k away from Brock I'm all for it

I can't disagree here.

I'd take 300K from them and send him over in the morning. I'd like to see Brock stay. Gives us outstanding depth and options imo.

PhilGould

Bench
Brown has been adamant that Lamb won't get a release for this year, so I don't see how them signing Hodkinson will effect Brock long term.

slotmachine

First Grade
getting 200k and watching hodko stink up the joint at the eagles is the deal of the century

and LOL at thinking that would be doing manly a favour. a pot plant is better than hodko at this point

Dave_

Juniors
getting 200k and watching hodko stink up the joint at the eagles is the deal of the century

and LOL at thinking that would be doing manly a favour. a pot plant is better than hodko at this point
It's not a favour in the fact that he's a good player who will improve their side... it's a favour in the fact that it's exactly what they want when WE'RE finally the ones in a position to dictate what they actually get. They need him. We don't need 200k. A center however...