What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
When was the last time we produced a decent backline player??? Sio??? Before that Hayne and INU???

Doesn't say much for a junior catchment as big as ours.

Semi Radradra.....?

I think that since Hayne and Inu we've had a couple of coaches and talent identifiers who were quite uninterested in junior development or quite poor at identifying it. And a few players who looked the good never kicked on, as is the risk.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Semi Radradra.....?

I think that since Hayne and Inu we've had a couple of coaches and talent identifiers who were quite uninterested in junior development or quite poor at identifying it. And a few players who looked the good never kicked on, as is the risk.
We didn't really produce him, i know he came through our system but was spotted while in Fiji.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
When was the last time we produced a decent backline player??? Sio??? Before that Hayne and INU???

Doesn't say much for a junior catchment as big as ours.

I reckon a lot of junior recruitment and retention comes down to the head coach. You can have the best in the business in regards to a talent scout and recruiter but if you're changing the first grade coach every 1.5 years there's different philosophies on what you want in each position.

I don't think it's any coincidence that we're starting to see more and better junior players coming through now that we've had the same head coach for more than 2 years.

I'm not entirely excusing our previous junior officers but there's usually more reasons than them "being shit" for why we haven't had many elite junior players come through the grades since 2007.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I reckon a lot of junior recruitment and retention comes down to the head coach. You can have the best in the business in regards to a talent scout and recruiter but if you're changing the first grade coach every 1.5 years there's different philosophies on what you want in each position.

I don't think it's any coincidence that we're starting to see more and better junior players coming through now that we've had the same head coach for more than 2 years.

I'm not entirely excusing our previous junior officers but there's usually more reasons than them "being shit" for why we haven't had many elite junior players come through the grades since 2007.
Yep i agree, Field is doing an excellent job from all reports.

Bazal

Post Whore
We didn't really produce him, i know he came through our system but was spotted while in Fiji.

Yeah but technically if we're going to take that approach we didn't produce Hayne and Inu either....we pinched them from the Tigers catchment.

Semi and Bevan both count IMO.

Bazal

Post Whore

I think we had a bit of a perfect storm at times. It's 8 years since we played finals footy, so we're not necessarily an attractive club compared to say, the Roosters if they come calling. We always lose plenty of juniors from our area anyway. We've been a shambles on and off the field, we've had poor people in key positions both in terms of coaching and junior management at times....it just hasn't been a great few years in any way for Parramatta and that flows on to stuff like this IMO

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah but technically if we're going to take that approach we didn't produce Hayne and Inu either....we pinched them from the Tigers catchment.

I don't care how we get them as long as we get them, BAR semi and Bevo it's been pretty poor for a club with a junior base as big as ours. Good to see the club has rectified this. But if we count Bev and Semi it also means the Roosters Produce the best Juniors in the NRL.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't care how we get them as long as we get them, BAR semi and Bevo it's been pretty poor for a club with a junior base as big as ours. Good to see the club has rectified this. But if we count Bev and Semi it also means the Roosters Produce the best Juniors in the NRL.

Producing juniors is more than just looking at the kids in your own area. It's just as much about finding talent in the bush, or in Fiji, or NZ, or wherever at a young age and bringing it through....we've been poor at that, I agree, but for the reasons I listed above it's not entirely down to us just being rubbish at developing or identifying juniors. But it's not true to say we've had zero success.

In many ways our talent identification in the last five years has been very good.

hindy111

Post Whore

Of course they count.
As does Manu and KE . We turned them into first graders and took a chance. Played them a season in wenty.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No they're not. That distinction goes to many of your middle forwards.

Some wingers take the most runs of anyone on their team. Even the ones who don't are 80 minute players essential to your edge defence and kick coverage.

Dunno about goal kicking hookers (who is there beside Smith?), but given how important halves are do we want to restrict our recruitment to only those who can kick goals?

Oh, gee - I don't know about that.

Maybe it's because I'm a former tight forward myself, but I think they're crucial.

You can put a second-rower in the centres, and still compete - but you won't get anywhere without good tight forwards.

They make the tough rubs, keep the ruck tight in defence, and try to win the wrestle.

I don't think any position can be described as "less important than others", but I'd say if we had to, that role would be centre.

Latest posts