What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Clubs do not let good players with good attitudes out of contract imo.
Latu has been garbage this season compared to last. Signed his big contract then seemed to get overwieght and lazy.

He is a big solid player. Maybe what we need. If Meehan and Evans worked out though probably not needed. We still have Vae, Matagi along with Terepo and Alvaro. I reckon we need a hard working forward like Alvaro but with bit more grunt. Latu may fall into the Matagi,Vae class

Latu will demand 400k + so will be a risk.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/leilani-latu-denies-release-talk/tabid/10874/newsid/110108/default.aspx

Leilani Latu denies release talk

Tue 18 Jul, 2017, 5:30pm
By Alicia Newton‌, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Panthers forward Leilani Latu has strongly denied claims he will seek an early release to depart the club at the end of the season.

Speculation was ripe last week the 24-year-old was unhappy at the foot of the mountains despite agreeing to a new three-year extension last July.

Panthers teammate Tyrone Peachey was also mentioned in the report as another player who was looking to move on after limited game time this season.

A bemused Latu told NRL.com the rumours were wide of the mark.

"I found out before I went to New Zealand from my teammates and as soon as I read the link I contacted my manager and spoke to Gus (Panthers General Manager Phil Gould) about it," he said.

"As soon as I knew I was safe and those rumours weren't true at all I haven't looked any further in it. It certainly isn't my intention to go anywhere.

"The funny thing is like when I was in New Zealand I had a fan come up to me and say see you next year and I had to tell him it wasn't happening.

"And I also noticed Fox Sports put me in Newcastle's 2018 team. My wife showed me that and I just thought 'what's going on here?'"

Latu admitted he understood why the rumours might have started after less time spent on the field this season.

In 2016 the Tongan international averaged 46 minutes per game but that number has since decreased to 34 after the addition of former Australian international James Tamou in the Panthers' front row.

"I'm sure there are a lot of theories to the rumour but to compare from last year to now is tough because it's a different team," Latu said.

"Fortunately there are less injuries now to when 'Peach' and I were required to play bigger minutes last year.

"[Panthers coach Anthony Griffin] spoke to us from the beginning and said it was going to be very hard to make the top 17 and if we did we'd likely get limited minutes so in that time we have to perform at our best.

"Whether it's been 25-40 minutes for Peach or myself we've just tried to go out there and add that momentum for the side."

Latu said he felt indebted to the club after admitting he almost walked away from rugby league at 20 years of age.

It was Gould who kept him in the game.

"I love this club and they threw me a lifeline," Latu said.

"There was a time where I wasn't sure I wanted to play football ever again and Gus was the first man to ring me.

"They've given me security, they helped me buy a house and get my life back together when it was at a crossroads.

"I played all my junior footy at Canterbury and once I did my shoulder they let me go, so I'm forever fortunate Penrith took a chance on me and picked me up.

"I'm signed here until 2020 and plan to stay for as long as possible."

The Panthers returned from a successful trip to New Zealand on the weekend but have lost Trent Merrin for at least six weeks with a knee injury.

Skipper Matt Moylan has been named to return at five-eighth after missing the Warriors clash with a hamstring injury, while the side will also be boosted by the return of injured hooker Peter Wallace.

"Losing Mez (Merrin) isn't ideal and it's a bit like two steps forward and one step back for us on the injury front," Latu said.

"It's good to have Wal back as well as Bryce [Cartwright] and Dean [Whare] on the training paddock at the right time of the season."

Griffin's men will spend the next month of football at home with four consecutive home games at Pepper Stadium.

The Titans are coming off an impressive victory against last year's premiers Cronulla and after winning the corresponding clash in Penrith last season, will head south confident of causing another upset.

"Guys like Ash Taylor and Konrad Hurrell are the danger and with Jarryd Hayne sweeping around the back, we're going to have to be on our game right away," Latu said.

"They've got experienced players with a wealth of knowledge. Nathan Peats isn't the Origin hooker for nothing so we're very mindful of the skill he possesses from the play the ball.

"Being back at home is good and has us all settled, but it won't mean anything if we can't get the results."

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why would panthers get rid of him though?
His form this year has been poor. Comparing his stats to Mannah's the only area he's better is tackle breaks per run (and the gimmick stat of tries per run). Mannah is better than Latu in these areas:

Tackles per minute
Tackle effectiveness
Runs per minute
Metres per run
Offloads per run

Tackle breaks per run is an important stat for judging the effectiveness of middle forwards in attack, and Latu would definitely add something to ours. But we would have to carry him in defence. Scott and possibly Mannah will be on the decline next year. De Gois probably won't be back and Kritchard might not last the season (again). If we re-sign King his workrate doesn't carry anyone in defence, and if Brown had to work harder in defence it would limit his minutes and his effectiveness in attack.

Anyway, your question was about why the Panthers would let him go, and their middle struggles in defence much more than ours. Outside of Tamou they don't have any quality middle defenders. They're either slugs like Latu and Katoa or they miss too many tackles, like Rein, Merrin and RCG.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think we need a tackle breaker and we have that in Evans.
With Meehan beeing the project player who may also add to this role. Terepo also adds some oomph.

We need a forward now who is more a Graheme style, or even Wicks. Evans can become our Heargraves style. Just work on his defense a little.

Alvaro may yet improve enough to become that with another off season.

Workers - Mannah,Alvaro

Mix - Terepo,Evans

Impact - Vae,Matagi,Meehan.

Brown,Tepai also play in middle.

We only need to add a prop who is simmilar style to Mannah,Alvaro but superior.
With our backrow all signed we also will have Stone and hopefully Falou and Niakuore re-signed. That will give great depth in forwards.

Overall I am happy with 2018 squad. Hooker is now priority and hopefully getting Semi back mid season.

Not sure what areas we will be worse?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Workers - Mannah,Alvaro

Mix - Terepo,Evans

Impact - Vae,Matagi,Meehan.

Brown,Tepai also play in middle.
I'd say Moeroa is in the worker category, with the bonus of being able to play on the edges. Brown is impact, but does it with footwork rather than size. Can also play long minutes.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/da27abe992571c8b9cbca1d9f0c2c7ea

Joe Ofahengaue the latest signing in the Broncos’ $4.5 million retention drive
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
in 3 hours

WAYNE Bennett says Brisbane are building a roster to break the club’s 11-year premiership drought after Joe Ofahengaue became the latest signing in the Broncos’ $4.5 million retention drive.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Ofahengaue has inked a new two-year deal in a major boost for the rising prop as he braces for a showdown with Bulldogs hulk David Klemmer at Suncorp Stadium.

The Broncos are set to announce the retention of the 21-year-old — the nephew of Wallabies great Willie Ofahengaue — until the end of 2019.

Bennett is presiding over one of the most aggressive recruitment-and-retention drives in the club’s history as the super coach attempts to deliver the Broncos’ first title since 2006.

Ofahengaue is the seventh Bronco in four months to sign a new deal — joining Andrew McCullough, Alex Glenn, Josh McGuire, Corey Oates, Kodi Nikorima and million-dollar man Anthony Milford.

By season’s end, that figure will swell to a staggering 10 top-liners, with Kiwi Test utility Jordan Kahu, centre James Roberts and skipper Darius Boyd poised to ink lucrative extensions.

With NSW Origin centre Jack Bird joining the Broncos stable from next season, Bennett believes he has the artillery to snap the longest title drought in Brisbane’s history.

“Every year we want to win a premiership,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail. “I accept it doesn’t always happen that way, but that’s our aim.

“You can buy the odd player but the great strength of the Broncos has always been bringing young guys through and retaining them and we’re doing that now.

“The last time we won a premiership (in 2006), 16 players in that squad started their careers at the Broncos.

“It’s the whole system here that keeps players loyal. Guys like Matt Gillett, Alex Glenn, Kodi Nikorima, Josh McGuire ... they have all made long-term sacrifices to us.

“Even in today’s market, we will always try to remain competitive and go as close as we can to winning another premiership.”

Brisbane chief executive Paul White said Ofahengaue’s retention is another sign the Broncos are building a formidable roster.

“Joe showed us how much promise he had when he played an NRL grand final in his first season of NRL at age 20,” White said.

“We have always seen him as an important part of our future. To have him sign a two-year deal is wonderful news for the club, our members and our supporters.”

Ofahengaue’s re-signing is reward for his attitude shift and form revival. The Junior Kangaroo drifted in and out of first grade last season but in the past month Ofahengaue has recaptured the form that made him a member of Brisbane’s 2015 grand final team.

The Tongan international charged for 126 metres against Newcastle last Saturday night and says he has “grown up” as he prepares to take on Bulldogs enforcer Klemmer.

“I let myself down last year, but I’ve had a few chats with Wayne,” he said. “I thought about where I going and changing my attitude has really helped me this year.”

305187-wayne-bennett-and-john-grant.jpg

Eelpout

Juniors
His form this year has been poor. Comparing his stats to Mannah's the only area he's better is tackle breaks per run (and the gimmick stat of tries per run). Mannah is better than Latu in these areas:

Tackles per minute
Tackle effectiveness
Runs per minute
Metres per run
Offloads per run

Tackle breaks per run is an important stat for judging the effectiveness of middle forwards in attack, and Latu would definitely add something to ours. But we would have to carry him in defence. Scott and possibly Mannah will be on the decline next year. De Gois probably won't be back and Kritchard might not last the season (again). If we re-sign King his workrate doesn't carry anyone in defence, and if Brown had to work harder in defence it would limit his minutes and his effectiveness in attack.

Anyway, your question was about why the Panthers would let him go, and their middle struggles in defence much more than ours. Outside of Tamou they don't have any quality middle defenders. They're either slugs like Latu and Katoa or they miss too many tackles, like Rein, Merrin and RCG.

Please don't try to compare him to Mannah to paint your picture. How about a post-contact metres conceded stat? That is what most people, consciously or not are noticing about Mannah's game compared to previous years. Hell, I think it was Justin O'Neil who run straight over him in our last match.

Mannah is struggling and big time, for whatever reason. He has the heart of a lion but whether its injury, fatigue, ageing or whatever else, I have never seen a player look so out of touch in grade.