What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ev...dud-buy-for-winless-eels-20180420-p4zav1.html

Evans admits he's been a dud buy for winless Eels

Parramatta recruit Kane Evans has described his form this year as “crap”, but the assessment would likely be harsher still if it was coming from his father.

Evans is yet to sing the team song after the Eels opened their season with six straight losses.

“No, I don’t know the words yet,” Evans said. “I haven’t sung the team song, I’m still waiting.”
The blue and golds are seeking to get their first win against Manly, a side that trounced them 54-0 just a month ago.

Along with Jarryd Hayne, Evans was Parramatta’s big off-season recruit. By his own admission, the former Roosters has made an underwhelming start at his new club.

“I’ve been going crap,” Evans said. “I don’t think I’ve been up to standard coming off injury from the World Cup and a few little injuries in pre-season. I definitely need to work on my fitness and I’ll be doing that in the next couple of weeks.

“It’s the truth, my game doesn’t hide anything.

“You can think what you want, but I haven’t been performing. You can see that in my stats and how I’ve been going.”

It is a brutal appraisal, but it would be harsher still if coming from his father, Peter Davies. Davies – himself a first-grader with the Rabbitohs, Tigers and the Bulldogs – earned a reputation as a hot head during a career that included 12 top-grade appearances.

“I don’t let him watch my games,” Evans said.

“I don’t carry his last name because when he played he always got suspended.

“He got suspended a lot for fighting, he was a real rough head. He gets real aggressive with me and can’t come to my games because he always screams out.”

Asked what Davies would make of his form, Evans said: “He’s not happy. I feel sorry for him, I’m embarrassed for him. I have to lift my game for him as well.”

While it has been a horror start to his Eels career, Evans has no regrets about his decision to make the switch from the Roosters.

“I’m happy to be here,” he said.

“It’s not supposed to be just good seasons and have no troubles, you know what I mean? It was comfy at Roosters, but being here, I love the staff and Brad [Arthur] as well, especially as a coach. He’s a good mentor and everyone buys into how he’s been coaching us.

“He’s a great bloke. I’m looking to get through this and come over the top of it.”

Arthur has made a series of changes for the ANZ Stadium encounter against Manly on Sunday. Co-captain Beau Scott and winger Bevan French have been dropped and Evans conceded he would suffer a similar fate if he didn’t lift his game. The Fijian Test prop will have further competition for spots next season with Canberra prop Junior Paulo expected to return to the Eels.

“It will be good for him to come back,” Evans said.

“He’s a true leader and a big bopper, that would be good to add to our game.

“We need some boys with some weight on them and it would be mad to have him.”

Talk is cheap. We don’t want to know what what your dad thinks FFS. Wish these morons could shut the hell up. And just focus on actually playing. Every week we hear the same dribble and they still get pumped.

Gronk

Staff member
Talk is cheap. We don’t want to know what what your dad thinks FFS. Wish these morons could shut the hell up. And just focus on actually playing. Every week we hear the same dribble and they still get pumped.

Suck it up merkin. The 24h news cycle needs content and the Eels need be constantly rolling within the cycle bc their sponsors expect it. Would you prefer that Kane Evans shares his fav recipes or talk about the footy ?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Players are offered up to the media and then are asked questions. If the club doesn't offer up players to the media they then get a fine I believe. You'd be the first person to whinge if that happened.

Chipmunk

Coach
Suck it up merkin. The 24h news cycle needs content and the Eels need be constantly rolling within the cycle bc their sponsors expect it. Would you prefer that Kane Evans shares his fav recipes or talk about the footy ?

I’d prefer we win you f**king merkin

T.S Quint

Coach
Typical short sighted attitude you'd expect from a board full of public servants.

I wouldn't say that it's 'full' of them. 3 of the board are ex public servants or lobbyists. Weber is the managing partner of PwC, Powerdley is a property guy, and Mackay used to run ACTEW, and Fagan is a lawyer/consultant.

Chipmunk

Coach
I wouldn't say that it's 'full' of them. 3 of the board are ex public servants or lobbyists. Weber is the managing partner of PwC, Powerdley is a property guy, and Mackay used to run ACTEW, and Fagan is a lawyer/consultant.

ACTEW is essentially a public sector organisation.

It's still a public utility, even though it may have been privatised.

Im the first to criticise the team when our performance is sub par.

So today id like to congratulate the boys on a great win.
Matagi was an absolute beast up front leading the go forward & ran the ball with purpose.

Mosses was also outstanding. Great team performance.
Our halves & hooker wanted to run the ball more & we created alot of second phase play with off loads.

Our completion rate was 33/35

I wont get carried away with today's win as i hope we take that momentum from todays performance into next weeks game & build some consistency.

Hard to make changes for next week unless forced bye injury.

hindy111

Post Whore

Matagi was an absolute beast up front leading the go forward & ran the ball with purpose.

Our halves & hooker wanted to run the ball more & we created alot of second phase play with off loads.

I wont get carried away with today's win as i hope we take that momentum from todays performance into next weeks game & build some consistency.

Brown has to come back in obviously. And Tepai should but perhaps an extra week off wont be a bad thing for him.

Incorrect

Coach

Agree about Matagi... Today he looked like an elite prop, but its about finding consistency in his game. I've seen those types of performances from him in the past, but then followed by 3 weeks of ho-hum dilly-dallying and he ends up back in reggies... The foundation is there to be a great prop, he just needs to find focus somehow

Gazzamatta

Coach
Agree about Matagi... Today he looked like an elite prop, but its about finding consistency in his game. I've seen those types of performances from him in the past, but then followed by 3 weeks of ho-hum dilly-dallying and he ends up back in reggies... The foundation is there to be a great prop, he just needs to find focus somehow
Vae was gash in the 2s. Evans on todays form wont displace anyone either.