What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
So what, we won't have any average players that we want to move on coming off contract at the end of 2019?

Jeez you guys can think very narrowly. If a quality player is available and we can sign him now, one that is better then the plodders that we currently have, then we should do it. That is how you improve your squad year on year and the player market will see that improvement and also act favourably. Just staying static, is the kiss of death, as this season has shown us AGAIN.

Boy, are you guys as clueless as BA is? Nothing will change unless we make significant changes. We are currently coming stone motherless last AGAIN, we need quite a few changes. Tinkering around the edges won't change this shit. Especially if we lose one of our playmakers, who I don't think is necessarily the problem.
And you continue to think in only short term fixes. At a quick glance at zero tackle, the only real maybe prime forwards left off contract are Ah Mau, Lodge & Pangai & maybe Kamikamica, Mago & Su'a. Anyone in desperate need is going to overpay for them because of scarcity. Maybe you get good return, maybe you don't. Whereas the sheer amount of off contract talent in 2019 means you could get a bargain and an even better player than those listed above. Of course there is the possibility you don't get anyone. But 2019 availables include Luke Bateman, Cameron Murray, the Burgii, RCG, Kaufusi, Kikau, Leota, Napa, Ofahengaue, Paasi, NAS, Fitzgibbon, Hess, Sims & Tapine.

Edit - Actually wait a sec, you said we think narrowly, yet then stated your grand scheme of if one good player is available we should sign him? Narrowness thy name is Ram

Stevie

Bench
So if Klemmer’s manager puts it out there, his client is willing to leave for offers of $1 million, BA should consider it?

If mansour was willing to come for $750k, should we consider it?

If cook’s manager said he is ours for $800k, should we consider it?

Those 3 players are all the type of players that wouId make our side better, and those amounts are potentially their market value.

However signing them wouId also stuff our cap up big time and probably cost us a whole bunch of promising juniors. So considerations do need to be make with how our cap is affected.

Pfft.

BA would have to f**king talk to them then!!!

eels81236

Bench
I’ve seen the Parramatta plates with Delboy on them numerous times. Generally sitting in driveways. Near my old lady’s place. True story.

Edit: Not too close to my old lady’s.

TheRam

Coach
So if Klemmer’s manager puts it out there, his client is willing to leave for offers of $1 million, BA should consider it?

If mansour was willing to come for $750k, should we consider it?

If cook’s manager said he is ours for $800k, should we consider it?

Those 3 players are all the type of players that wouId make our side better, and those amounts are potentially their market value.

However signing them wouId also stuff our cap up big time and probably cost us a whole bunch of promising juniors. So considerations do need to be make with how our cap is affected.

Yeah that's what I said. :rolleyes:

TheRam

Coach
And you continue to think in only short term fixes. At a quick glance at zero tackle, the only real maybe prime forwards left off contract are Ah Mau, Lodge & Pangai & maybe Kamikamica, Mago & Su'a. Anyone in desperate need is going to overpay for them because of scarcity. Maybe you get good return, maybe you don't. Whereas the sheer amount of off contract talent in 2019 means you could get a bargain and an even better player than those listed above. Of course there is the possibility you don't get anyone. But 2019 availables include Luke Bateman, Cameron Murray, the Burgii, RCG, Kaufusi, Kikau, Leota, Napa, Ofahengaue, Paasi, NAS, Fitzgibbon, Hess, Sims & Tapine.

Edit - Actually wait a sec, you said we think narrowly, yet then stated your grand scheme of if one good player is available we should sign him? Narrowness thy name is Ram

You can only sign them one at at time.

What makes you think that signing them would be any easier or cheaper then the players that are available now and the odds are that a fair few of those players will be signed up before you think.

Like I said, you get what you can when you can. Probably the only position I would hold out on would be halves. At least one of them needs to be of the highest quality and they are the hardest and rarest to get. So you need to have a decent kitty and a great plan to nab the best there is.

Gazzamatta

Coach
What happened to Russia. Did you got to the soccer ?
First game was Moscow. We were in St Petersburg
Second match was there. Didnt go but the vibe was unbelievable. Stadium looked magnificent. Not much of a soccer fan really but loved the buzz.

84 Baby

Referee
You can only sign them one at at time.

What makes you think that signing them would be any easier or cheaper then the players that are available now and the odds are that a fair few of those players will be signed up before you think.

Like I said, you get what you can when you can. Probably the only position I would hold out on would be halves. At least one of them needs to be of the highest quality and they are the hardest and rarest to get. So you need to have a decent kitty and a great plan to nab the best there is.
1st para - yes you can only sign them one at a time but relying on that principle is the kind of narrow minded, short term fix view that means you sign Justin Poore. Looking further ahead and planning and budgeting is how you generate success.

2nd para - supply and demand. Simply look at Paulo and Boyd. Do you think they’d find it easier or harder to get their new deals if they were off contract at the same time as the likes of RCG, NAS and the Burgii?

3rd para - half agree in that you want to plan out all your targets. It’s kind of like fantasy football. You start with the team you have then you plan the team you want within realistic salary terms then you map out when your players come off contract, figuring out how you can get closer to your ideal. Maybe you sign Josh Hoffman say with a plan to sign Josh Mansour (hypothetically. I know their contracts didn’t line up) or perhaps with a view that Louganis or Aukafolau could ably replace him cheaper, allowing to look at signing NAS to boost your pack. My point there are way more moving parts than simply signing a good player because he’s available

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I can see why Austin might fit into our side. His issue isn't that he can't tackle, it's that he makes poor decisions and lacks lateral movement. But in attack he can at least dig in when there's nothing on without giving up a slow play-the-ball. And he's not always demanding the ball at first receiver, allowing Moses to own the team. Finally, he has a long kicking game, unlike Gutherson. So he can take pressure off Moses.

Austin isn't as good a player as Norman, but he would also be cheaper and possibly fit better with Moses. The biggest issue is which of Moses/Austin would have to defend (and/or kick) on his less preferred side.