What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
Not sure if Tyrone Roberts is any better than Gutho would be after a full off season training in the halves... he'd certainly cost a lot more
I like Gutho, love his attitude. My concern is his long range kicking game. I hope he develops one.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not this season at Wenty. He was making plenty of runs and tackles and big minutes. Would of played first grade if wasn't for injury.
I saw him a few times when our pack included Obrien-Gower-Alvaro. And Tanginoa stood out over them
I'm sure he made plenty of runs, because he was Wenty's best attacking forward whenever he was in the team. In that sense it's easy to rack up a lot of runs because the game plan is designed to get him the ball. He always stands out in attack because he has power and speed and a bit of footwork. But I don't believe he 'stood out' in defence because good defence - relentless up and back, pushing out to fill space, wrapping up the ball, completing tackles and so on - generally doesn't stand out. Maybe he put on some big hits but he has huge weaknesses in his defensive game, and it's not because he lacks the physicality.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/6107b2215fc47aa375dcadd6233e7174

What’s the Buzz: Bevan French signs upgraded with Parramatta Eels
6107b2215fc47aa375dcadd6233e7174

David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

6107b2215fc47aa375dcadd6233e7174

EELS fans can rejoice in the irony.

As NSW Police sought Jarryd Hayne’s contract file on Thursday, the player ready to call the Hayne Plane’s fullback position home was busy poring over his own paperwork.

In a major investment for the blue and golds the Tingha Express, Bevan French, has agreed to an upgraded and extended deal that will keep him at the Eels until 2019.

Off-contract at the end of 2018, French will begin pre-season training at Parramatta in a fortnight with increased financial security and an attitude to prove he’s more than just a footballer with blinding speed.

Having scored 19 tries in 13 NRL matches this year, French will be given first crack at the fullback position by coach Brad Arthur with Titans recruit Josh Hoffman to be used as a centre-wing option.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-sensation-blaise-barnes-20161022-gs890a.html

Parramatta Eels win race for schoolboy rugby sensation Blaise Barnes

Parramatta have won a cross-code battle for the signature of Blaise Barnes, nabbing the schoolboy rugby sensation on a two-year deal.

The Eels beat local and overseas rugby clubs, as well as their NRL rivals, to the services of one of the most sought-after teenage playmakers in years.

Youtube footage of Barnes carving up opposition rugby defences has made him hot property globally among talent scouts. Despite suffering a season-ending ACL injury playing for renowned rugby nursery St Joseph's College in just the second trial match of the season, Barnes chose to follow in the footsteps of his father and switch back to rugby league. Troy Barnes played three first-grade games for one of his son's suitors, South Sydney, but the Eels are very confident his son will surpass that tally in years to come.

"I grew up playing league and wanted to get back into it eventually," Barnes said.

"There were a few offers, but Parramatta are a good club, their under 20s has a good program and there's a good feel around the place. That's why I chose them."

Looking for an edge in their pursuit for Barnes, the Eels invited him as a guest to their last home game against the Dragons. Club officials used the opportunity to introduce Barnes to another schoolboy rugby prodigy, Tepai Moeroa, who is also managed by Runway Sports. The chance to speak to Moeroa about his own transition from the 15-man game to the Parramatta system was a key factor in Barnes' decision.

"I've watched a lot of his games and it was good to see what his transition was like and what shaped his decision," Barnes said.

"It helped me a lot to feel more comfortable with choosing Parramatta. I'll know someone there and his experience was a help."

1477091941214.png

St Joseph's Rugby Union player Blaise Barnes (right) and father Troy on left. Photo: Supplied

Barnes' father had to shift overseas for work, resulting in Barnes spending the best part of a decade in Asia.

"I've lived in Asia for almost 10 years," Barnes said.

"We moved from Australia when I was in year 3 and that was the reason I stopped playing league, because they don't offer it in Asia.

"Originally we were in Taiwan for six months, then moved to Hong Kong for three years, then Korea for one, Japan for one and then back to Hong Kong for two and then Malaysia.

"I've moved around a fair bit. It was hard at first, having to move schools all the time, but it's helped me a lot.

"I kind of feel like Asia is my home compared to Sydney. It was good to learn the culture and it helped me to experience different things in life.

"I'm not very good at learning languages; I tried learning Mandarin for five years but am shocking at it.

"It was hard, I couldn't play in the halves [because of the language barrier], I had to play on the wing."

1477089783565.png

St Joseph's Rugby Union player Blaise Barnes. Photo: Supplied

The Rabbitohs were hopeful Barnes would follow in his father's footsteps and opt for a stint at Redfern. While Troy was happy to provide footballing advice, there was never any pressure to join Souths.

"He helps me a lot with footy," Barnes said.

"He was a lot more talented than a lot of people say he was. He's helped me a lot, it's been good."

Barnes, who is hoping to qualify for a business degree at Macquarie University, has played most of his recent football at fullback. However, the 18-year-old is hopeful of playing in the halves at Parramatta.

"It's a good opportunity at the Eels," he said.

"My first goal is to make the transition as quick as possible to the 20s."

Forty20

First Grade
The back-to-back sequences of play at ~1:12 (pirouettes on a dime and ~1:16 (double cut-back, also on a dime) are some of the nicest moves I have seen from a young player in a while. The double cut-back is by far the more impressive play in my opinion though. It is pretty clear that he has amazing feet but it is his ability to make cuts while barely losing any speed that might propel him towards first grade in the long term. Phenomenal stuff.

Really looking forward to what we do with him in 2017. I know the article says he is hoping to play halves but I could see us giving him some time at fullback before looking to throw him into the front line.

Latest posts