What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Ricky: “I have felt uncomfortable about it for many months and I still don’t feel comfortable today because they are two mates."

So I sat the entire team down, got out the overhead projector, and humiliated these 2 blokes in front of all their mates.

On a serious note: apparently he has known about it for 'many months'? (his own words in the quote above) So why wait until the eve of the new season before releasing them? Way to go Rick....
Can dig a hole that man.

phantom eel

First Grade
On a serious note: apparently he has known about it for 'many months'? (his own words in the quote above) So why wait until the eve of the new season before releasing them? Way to go Rick....

Maybe he was counting on someone getting injured in pre-season training, so they could try for a medical retirement and keep one or both of these blokes?

oldmancraigy

Coach
The season starts Nov 1 for salary purposes right?

So hopefully they apply their rigour to the Raiders books. Almost 1/3rd of those guys salaries should count to Raiders cap.....

hindy111

Post Whore
“It is a hugely open competition but the Bulldogs have failed to attract any real support in the off season. Melbourne Storm and Penrith Panthers share favouritism at $7.50. The Panthers are the best backed team firming in from $9.”

Forty20

First Grade
The season starts Nov 1 for salary purposes right?

So hopefully they apply their rigour to the Raiders books. Almost 1/3rd of those guys salaries should count to Raiders cap.....

That is a correct assumption based on how we were treated last year and how the cap is intended to be handled. Watmough's cap hit was prorated up until the point he was no longer employed by the Eels by way of injury retirement. Ditto for Peats and Junior (and Foran too, the merkin) and their mid-season transfers. Strictly speaking their overall cap hits far exceeded the amount the NRL adjudged us to be over the cap (heck Watmough covered that himself and he didn't play a minute of footy) but the NRL were extremely explicit on prorata value throughout the process.

hybrideel

Bench
Ricky is just doing what he does best, try and shove all the blame to someone else. While Lee is a decent player he would be easily replaced and Fensom last his spot in the side already. He was the one to make the decision to let them go for the good of the team like evry other coach does but most don't f**king whinge about

Incorrect

Coach
RLW Mole saying Parra are making a play for Peats to return to the blue and gold in 2018.

Might have been the case up until yesterday.... but with today's news that he's succumbed to another shoulder injury and would have missed the entire season if he went down the surgery path, I'd be a little hesitant at the minute...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That is a correct assumption based on how we were treated last year and how the cap is intended to be handled. Watmough's cap hit was prorated up until the point he was no longer employed by the Eels by way of injury retirement. Ditto for Peats and Junior (and Foran too, the merkin) and their mid-season transfers. Strictly speaking their overall cap hits far exceeded the amount the NRL adjudged us to be over the cap (heck Watmough covered that himself and he didn't play a minute of footy) but the NRL were extremely explicit on prorata value throughout the process.
I wonder if they will be as tough for their old Chum Ricky??? With the consistency of the NRL I seriously doubt it.

Gronk

Staff member
I love Peats as a player and a clubman but I think it's time to move on from him.

It seems odd that we are interested in Peats coming back. IIRC when he was tapped on the shoulder last year it was revealed that he was off contract and was not going to be offered a gig for 2017+ anyway ?

hindy111

Post Whore
Both would be handy for our team. But as back ups. Lee has some potential thou.
Fesom is a good worker. Solid replacement for Beau Scott if he went down but otherwise I don't see a spot for him in our top 17.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Parra: "We have to let go of Peats"
Fans: "Nooooooooooo!!!!!"

Parra: "We want Peats back"
Fans: "Nooooooooooo!!!!"
Lol, I was upset we let him go but it looks like he's suffered another long term injury. Has he ever finished a season??? I loved the bloke when he was here but he'd be asking for good coin and I'm not sure we would get value for money from him.

Incorrect

Coach
Parra: "We have to let go of Peats"
Fans: "Nooooooooooo!!!!!"

Parra: "We want Peats back"
Fans: "Nooooooooooo!!!!"

I was OK (well, maybe "not overcome with mournful sorrow" is a better way of putting it) with Peats being let go, and that was due to 2 things - 1, as gronk alluded to earlier, he hadn't been re-signed to that point and the indications were BA was looking at other options for 2017, and 2, we had Foran and Norman in the halves...

Not long after though, Foran's life unravelled hopelessly and we know what happened there. And BA has since come out and admitted that if he had any inkling of the impending Foran debacle he would have held on to Peats...

At full fitness he would add plenty to our on field (and probably off field) performances, but there has to be question marks over his long term fitness as it stands....

It seems odd that we are interested in Peats coming back. IIRC when he was tapped on the shoulder last year it was revealed that he was off contract and was not going to be offered a gig for 2017+ anyway ?

Yeh, but I think that initial decision was made at a time when our ongoing cap commitments on the rest of the squad were quite different to what they are now (e.g. Foran is now gone, Watmough's cap treatment was uncertain). As always, comes down to price