What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

magpie_man

Juniors
I'd just like to add:
Once in the finals, who knows?
While we're certainly not a premiership threat, we've already knocked over Melbourne twice and caused major headaches for some of the other contenders.
If we finish 8th and face Easts, Cronulla or Melbourne in the first week of the finals I'd give us a really good chance to get to week #2.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't really have anything else to add that hasn't already been said in this thread regarding Farah's return.
While it does have the potential to blow up in our face, with both he and Mbye in the team we're a real chance of making the 8; without them we're no chance.

This is the way I see it. I have no idea if the innuendo surrounding Farah is true or not but he is playing reserve grade for Souths so I assume he isn't coming here as the CEO.

Robbie is a different bloke nowadays. I think his time spent at Souths where he wasn't the centre of the universe has been humbling for him. Particularly this year where he's spent most of it in reserve grade.

From all reports, he's done everything that's ever been asked of him at our club and has not rocked the boat at all.

Plus he's been great with all the young blokes. Cook in particular.

From a Souths perspective, it'd be great to have him warming the bench for the rest of the year. He can cover hooker and halves and has done it all on the big stage so he's not going to be out of place if he's suddenly called on to play in some big matches. That's invaluable at the business end of the year.

But after watching him play these last few weeks, you can see that he still has plenty to offer a team, like the Tigers who desperately need a good dummy half and he still has a place in first grade. So if he gets an offer to go back to the tigers, it would be rough of us to hold him back.

Of course, the week after we release him, Murphy's law dictates that we'll desperately need him again but these are the risks you take and we'll make do.

the beavers

Juniors
if we say no to farah are there any other hookers out there that would switch before june 30
are the even any longer term hookers available 2019 onwards ( assuming liddle doesnt come good)

i know mcillrick isnt an attacking hooker but im not sure why hes so out of favour

Vic Mackey

Referee
Well if you get him and you've got Mbye too it actually concerns me now when we play you guys!

Re Farah funny how he was bagged by most of your members when he left and then now on social media it's like yep we will welcome him back with open arms..... go figure!!!

Mbyes a great get

Fans have been 50/50 re Farah ever since it went down, that hasn't really changed from what ive seen. Robbie is obviously a better hooker then anyone else we've got however I'd rather give Liddle the last 9 rounds to get experience for what should be a big assault on a finals spot for 2019.

Ultimately I'll back Cleary with whatever he does however this year was always about building the foundations for success in the next few, I don't see how bringing back Robbie for 9 games will do that.

McIllwrick is garbage, youd be better off playing Hymel Hunt at 9.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Cookie has been helped by Farah somewhat no doubt. But Cookie has the skill and pace plus fast crisp passes... does Liddle have that in him?

If we let him back to you we don't really have a back up hooker. Maybe Murray to fill in.

Liddle played nsw and Australia under age reps. Cook played none

When Cook was Liddles age he was playing off the bench for St George nsw cup

There’s a reason Craig Bellamy wants him to succeed Cam smith in Melbourne

Last edited:

kneegrow

Juniors
lol

Farah coming back would derail all the good work the club have done over the last 18 months in regard to attitude and being on the bus

I don’t really understand this post

Speak to most souffs fans and they hold the highest regard of RF, playing half the season in reserve grade without chucking a tantrum when he’d still probably get a run in half of the teams in NRL to this day

He’s our best option for a push at semis, why not make the most of this year?

1. Mbye
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
9. Farah
14. Marshall

Sign the dotted line son

Das Hassler

Bench
Well if you get him and you've got Mbye too it actually concerns me now when we play you guys!

Re Farah funny how he was bagged by most of your members when he left and then now on social media it's like yep we will welcome him back with open arms..... go figure!!!

He deserved the negativity at the time. .
....backstabbed 2 coaches to the younger players who looked up to him and to his buddies in the media....Taylor came warned and prepared for what he had to do and was discarded after he did it. Farah didnt bleed for the club ...he bled his own legacy AT the club. I'm fully of the belief that he's probably woken up in that regard and would be an on field positive for the rest of the year as he would know he would have no influence over anything beyond what he does with the ball in his hands. His last games for us mostly featured impulsive, selfish 6th tackle hero plays and most wanted him dumped ( go back and read from the time). The scoreboard stunt just underlined his melodrama. But...then was then....now is now and i would have loved if he played for us ( at the end of his time here) the controlled mature game he's played for you guys these last two games as a fill in....with Ivan in charge he probably will . I can see the headlines now though and my stomach is already feeling unwell

Tigerm

First Grade
Farah set to make shock return to Wests Tigers

By Adrian Proszenko
15 June 2018 — 12:00am

Robbie Farah could make a shock return to Wests Tigers, giving the veteran hooker a chance for a more fitting farewell at the club where his career began.

Fairfax Media can reveal Farah has reached out to Tigers coach Ivan Cleary about the prospect of coming back to the joint-venture outfit before the June 30 transfer deadline. The deal would only be until the end of the season and it's likely his current side, South Sydney, won’t stand in the way.

A comeback could provide Farah and another prodigal son, Benji Marshall, a perfect note to retire on together if they can steer the Tigers to a drought-breaking finals appearance.

There is still some groundwork before the deal becomes reality. Given the acrimonious nature of his departure, a final decision would have to go to the board for sign off. Some powerbrokers still need convincing after Farah fell out with several influential figures, including then coach Jason Taylor.

But with Taylor gone and the Tigers in need of a spark to get their finals ambitions back on track, Farah will likely get the support required to finish in the black, white and orange.

The Tigers have been unable to settle on a replacement hooker since Farah’s departure. They have used - with varying success - Pita Godinet, Jacob Liddle, Elijah Taylor, Matt McIlwrick and Josh Reynolds during their 2018 campaign. While McIlwrick has been given the nod for Sunday’s clash with Canberra, insiders believe the chances of making the semis will increase if a player of Farah’s experience is in the spine.

The two-time Dally M hooker of the year has made only two appearances for South Sydney this season after Damien Cook won the race for the No.9 jersey. Farah’s most recent Rabbitohs appearance was in round 14 when Cook was unavailable due to State of Origin duty. While Souths would prefer to keep Farah around for the representative period, there is little point begrudging him an NRL opportunity in his twilight in order to keep him in reserve grade with feeder side North Sydney.

Farah is one of the most polarising figures in Wests Tigers history. He has made 247 appearances for the club, including the 2005 grand final victory against the Cowboys. The former skipper never wanted to leave, but there was pressure to move him on because the final years of his contract were heavily back-ended. The result was Farah spent his finals days at the Tigers in reserve grade, with the club having to heavily subsidise his contract at Redfern.

Some fans were happy to see the back of him, believing he was a divisive influence during his last, turbulent years at the Tigers. Others will welcome back one of the club’s favourite sons with open arms, hoping he will this time receive a more fitting farewell.

Some Tigers officials had reservations about signing Marshall from the Broncos, unsure whether his best football was behind him. However, his return proved to be a masterstroke, particularly after injury prevented marquee recruit Reynolds from participating in the opening rounds.

There is a feeling Farah's signing could have a similar effect. The 34-year-old has been in reasonable touch for the Bears and his class could prove the difference in a tight finals race. His great mate Marshall is yet to make a call on his future, raising the prospect of the pair bowing out together at the end of the year.

Farah is unlikely to be the last addition to the Tigers team before the June 30 deadline. Canterbury fullback Moses Mbye has signed a four-year deal with the club beginning next year, although Cleary is keen for him to transfer immediately. The clubs are finalising a release that is amenable to all parties and Saturday's clash with the Titans will be Mbye’s last in blue and white.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/farah-set-to-make-shock-return-to-wests-tigers-20180614-p4zljg.html
Will be great to see this happen.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Here we go, whingers coming out of the woodwork to take more jabs at Farah. Its been a long time old friends, how have you been?

Completely ignoring the fairytales, respecting a club legend or any of that at all, if you can't see the benefit of having Farah here for the rest of the year then you are simply delusional. I know a lot of you trolls take a while to process things so I'll spell it out very very simply:

WE DON'T HAVE A f**kING HOOKER.

Even in his older years, Farah is miles ahead of any options we have. It is not a co-incidence that Cook's form has skyrocketed around the same time Robbie has been at the Bunnies. Farah can mentor Liddle the same way he has been mentoring Cook. We could even keep Farah around for 2019 if we are in the same position and can cover for us while Liddle makes a full recovery or we look for another hooker.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Unlikely and what do you have to base this on?

What evidence do you have besides him being banished to reserve grade at Souths out of the limelight?

Majority of Das’ post above outlines perfectly why he shouldn’t come back.

If he does, IC will probably be lining up at Centrelink shortly.

Das Hassler

Bench
Not whingers here ...Farah has been the whinger...he was the last of the mega Ego drama queens( i should say biggest...not last) at the club who selfishly derailed any chance Potter had of success here. ....like so many i was glad the see the back of someone mostly described as the most divisive player in WT history...if he comes back i hope he pulls his head in...plays to instruction and just shuts the f.ck up in the media. ..the club has had enough of his pathos for one lifetime ....read the NRL.com article up now for a reminder of what we could sign up for.
BTW....i"m a fan of his on the field when he's on and leaves the BS at home and for me his SOO effort the year nsw won it IS legendary. ...problem is his disruptive melodrama is as well.
BTW 2.....how should souths fans be feeling reading about how he didnt really put in last year ( his FIRST season there) because he was still angry and harboured resentment about how he was treated at the tigers? ...for f.vks sake!!...souths throw him a lifeline and he was still too upset to play well for his 900k!. ....is it any wonder Seibold chose Cook before this season even kicked off?. ...and dont kid yourself that McQuire didnt want him and his moody sulking out of the place after that first season.
Has Farah helped Cook....YES
Would he help Liddle?..no doubt
Would he be unsettling for the team? .....the board have let Cleary make that call and he will make the right one...if it's yes to coming back i'm sure he will be right then good.and just get on with it

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
The article on NRL.Com says he is a changed guy, then says a few weeks ago he sat out a fcking reserve grade game cause it was named after Jason Taylor