What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
Yes, let’s resign Benji and Wobbie as a reward for years of mediocrity and cause of instability. I really can’t believe what I’m reading and it’s crap like this why we are a bottom 8 side

No it's not. We are a bottom 8 side because of dud recruitment and retention decisions which include overpaying overrated juniors.

Benji and Wobbie on fair contracts which should suit us are the exact type of signings that we require.

Front-Rower

First Grade
No it's not. We are a bottom 8 side because of dud recruitment and retention decisions which include overpaying overrated juniors.

Benji and Wobbie on fair contracts which should suit us are the exact type of signings that we require.

Please advise what success these two, who were always paid as marquee stars, bought to our club on the field? If they were at the roosters and had the same amount of “success” they would be unemployed or toiling in the ESL.

Tigerm

First Grade
. Yep, I posted that on the game thread yesterday.

I think it's important that he keeps playing the 80 minutes for each game in reserves now and more importantly, builds up over summer.
Unfortunately the difference between 2nd grade and 1st grade is huge.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Unfortunately the difference between 2nd grade and 1st grade is huge.

So Liddle is no good then?

All those years of development for nothing?

Let’s persevere with a 35 yr old instead next year..

I’m pretty confident IC will make the right call here..

Ive got a funny feeling that not for the first time the club has stuffed up a players injury rehab and that seems to have happened to Liddle this year..

Tigerm

First Grade
So Liddle is no good then?

All those years of development for nothing?

Let’s persevere with a 35 yr old instead next year..

I’m pretty confident IC will make the right call here..

Ive got a funny feeling that not for the first time the club has stuffed up a players injury rehab and that seems to have happened to Liddle this year..
Lets pick the best player, no one said anything about Liddle.

Tiger05

First Grade
Please advise what success these two, who were always paid as marquee stars, bought to our club on the field? If they were at the roosters and had the same amount of “success” they would be unemployed or toiling in the ESL.

I agree that they were overpaid and didn't deliver. We won the comp in 2005 and came 3rd and 4th in 2009 and 2010. They just weren't the players they could have been. They both have flaws in their games.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Like I said a page back... provided Robbie wants a modest deal and is prepared to accept the coaches call if not selected then bring him back by all means..

If he is still the best option than great..

I’ve got a feeling though that Liddle will be ready next year ..

Front-Rower

First Grade
We won the comp in 2005 and came 3rd and 4th in 2009 and 2010

3rd in 2010 and 4th in 2011 actually..

Pretty mediocre to poor results if you ask me if we keep holding on to that premiership in 2005 (13 years ago and a couple of top 4 finishes 5 years after that, now 8 years ago)…..

Yes we have had issues with the back of house and facilities but by gee we put so much faith in these two blokes who have never really delivered us anything from 2006 onwards bar some false hope with a match winning performance once or twice a year.

Shredder

Juniors
Farah has shown this year (and the year with JT) that he is content to play wherever played.

Honestly I dont care how much they pay him. Hes the best option today and on that basis we should at least consider playing him next year.

Ive implied it, but here I will say it; Liddle wont make the grade.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Farah has shown this year (and the year with JT) that he is content to play wherever played.

Honestly I dont care how much they pay him. Hes the best option today and on that basis we should at least consider playing him next year.

Ive implied it, but here I will say it; Liddle wont make the grade.

I agree as well..100%
Liddle needs to toughen up
Farah can play 80 mins,is super fit and STILL in the best 4 hookers in the NRL

Tiger05

First Grade
I hope Liddle makes the grade. I can't see Robbie going for too much longer and I reckon Liddle has looked like a quality player at times.

Shredder

Juniors
05 I agree and thats what makes it tough.

When hes on fire, hes a world beater, but plays low first grade minutes and can go into his shell as well.

Perhaps hes being coached to play like that but hes been through a few first grade coaches now so maybe not.

Having a premier hooker at the club (even if getting to the end of his career) may help him, but the fact is that today, RF is the best hooker at the club.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Top Tiger Farah could roar on a little longer
By Christian Nicolussi
17 July 2018 — 5:26pm

The Robbie Farah farewell tour could roll on to 2019 as the Wests Tigers pin-up gives serious thought to playing on one final season.
Farah was grateful to be granted a pre-June 30 release from South Sydney to finish out the year at his beloved Tigers before he planned to call it quits.
One more lap? Robbie Farah has left the door open to playing another season with the Tigers.
But Farah has made such an impact in his two games for the Tigers, Fairfax Media understands he is starting to have second thoughts about walking away.

While Farah will have no issues physically coping with another season, which could see him possibly reach 300 NRL games, the bigger hurdle will be whether he can lift again mentally at the age of 35.
Farah will celebrate 250 games in the Tigers colours on Saturday against South Sydney - and the man who kept him out of first grade, NSW No. 9 Damien Cook.
There have been no formal discussions between Farah and the Tigers, although it's understood club officials would entertain the idea if the premiership rake came at the right price and held his form.

Farah recently said the dramas surrounding his exit from the Tigers the first time around had taken an emotional toll, and spending most of the year in reserve grade this year had made the decision to retire much easier.
Jacob Liddle is seen as the long-term hooker at the Tigers but has struggled with a sternum and shoulder injuries for most of the season.
Farah would baulk at being an 80-minute hooker if he played on, but the idea of mentoring a player like Liddle would have appeal.

The Tigers' final home game at Leichhardt Oval will be round 23 against the St George Illawarra, with Farah hoping to have a decision either way by that date so farewell celebrations can be either planned or canned.
Another season would see Farah pass 300 NRL games, provided he stays fit and in form, which has huge appeal. Should the Tigers pass on Farah, he will pull the pin, having decided he will not play for another club.
As Farah makes up his mind, his good friend and fellow premiership winner Benji Marshall is expected to give serious thought to his own future in the next fortnight.

The Tigers also announced on Tuesday Josh Reynolds would miss the rest of the season and undergo surgery to his shoulder, which kept him out of action during an injury-plagued first year at the club.
Marshall said on Tuesday about Farah possibly playing on: "If he keeps going way he's going, 100 per cent he can. He hasn't had a chance to play. That energy from being home, I think he can maintain it, and if he keeps going the way he's going, why not?''
Marshall said he had held no discussions with Farah about their futures, and they did not want to make the run home to the finals all about them.

The Tigers are in tenth and two wins outside the top eight after a shock win over St George Illawarra. Marshall said the Cook-Farah match-up was the biggest highlight in a Saturday evening game that will also feature John Sutton play 300 NRL games for the one club.
"Everyone has seen what 'Cooky' can do, and Robbie the last couple of weeks has been outstanding,'' Marshall said. "It's the most mouth-watering match-up of the weekend, with Robbie against his old club, his 250th game for the Tigers, Sutton's 300 games, there are a lot of good storylines for this game, and hopefully it's a great game we win.''

Marshall returned from injury to help the Tigers to a 20-16 victory over the Dragons with his spiral bomb to Matt Dufty as good as it gets.
He is expected to sit down with club officials in the coming weeks to work out his plans, and said the club could even make the decision for him.
New Tigers' No. 1 Moses Mbye was one player chuffed to run around with Farah and Marshall, and recalled watching them work their magic in the 2005 grand final win.
"Robbie has a really good footy IQ, he's been really good to have around this spine, especially with the new spine,'' Mbye said. "To have someone like him come in and guide the side around like he has been, it's a huge bonus.'
Meanwhile, Reynolds will undergo surgery on his right scapula, while Chris Lawrence will also go under the knife for a hand fracture he suffered along with a hamstring injury against the Dragons.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/top-tiger-farah-could-roar-on-a-little-longer-20180717-p4zrzs.html

As someone said above, IC will make the correct call and that will be the best No 9 for 'the team'.I hope it's Liddle with Farah as his backup.

As for
Please advise what success these two, who were always paid as marquee stars, bought to our club on the field
many clubs have had marquee stars and yet, as a team, the teams did not bring success. It happens, due to many factors, the Tigers went off the rails in the past few years of Sheens as coach. One major problem was not bringing some of the developed players through and letting go of others who were 'just first graders' rather than good to very good first graders.

Matty Johns said that if Farah was at Melbourne playing under Bellamy and with Cronk and Slater in the team, he would have been as good as Smith. At the Tigers he never had a consistent fullback or 7. Benji was always hot and warm (not cold). They were at their best IMO with Lui at 7.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't agree with Matty Johns point. Smith and Farah at their best are very similar but the problem is that Farah comes up with a lot of hog plays. He did it more than once on the weekend. He isn't a take the best option consistently player. He plays great but then hogs it and puts the team under pressure.

Benji and Robbie have both been brilliant and inconsistent. If they were just brilliant we would have performed a lot better over a number of years.

Still they both love the club and have provided us with some special moments. They are the two best players in the clubs history and it's not really close although Lawrence is performing really well now.

I just think if they had been paid fairly we would have won another comp or two.

Das Hassler

Bench
I don't agree with Matty Johns point. Smith and Farah at their best are very similar but the problem is that Farah comes up with a lot of hog plays. He did it more than once on the weekend. He isn't a take the best option consistently player. He plays great but then hogs it and puts the team under pressure.

Benji and Robbie have both been brilliant and inconsistent. If they were just brilliant we would have performed a lot better over a number of years.

Still they both love the club and have provided us with some special moments. They are the two best players in the clubs history and it's not really close although Lawrence is performing really well now.

I just think if they had been paid fairly we would have won another comp or two.

05....you're SO much improved! occasional dumb play but who among us can say we dont have a few of those. ...well.put