What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Shredder

Juniors
According to ZeroTackle there is crap all available off contract at years end.

Didnt we pick up a couple of young fellas? I think one of them was a prop

super_coach

First Grade
So do we need 8+ signings for next season ?
Any ideas/ rumours
I don’t even know who’s on the market for next year... esp in the outside backs

I still think Oates is worth paying a bit extra to lure to concord
If he fails as a backrow he’s already proven as a back

A guy on the other forum who seems to be the most reliable when it comes to info has said

Benji and Farah are both backing up for one last season
McQueen will be gone and maybe one or two other lesser contracted players
They are looking at trying to find a back up no7
The other signings they are looking at are outside backs

Surprisingly no talk of forwards

Vic Mackey

Referee
Given that we will have lost Sue, Grant and Felise for 2019, surely we are trying to sign another prop or two? Unless I'm mistaken the only props we have:
- Packer
- Matulino
- Twal
- Eisenhuth

An injury to any of them and we are royally f**ked. I hope the rumours about Taupau are true...

Oliver Clarke and Tom Mikaele are in the top 30 for next year, but yes at least 1 more is needed. Clarke doesn’t look much to me and Mikaele whilst impressive in lower grades is unproven.

Wonder what happened to the Latu rumour?

Vic Mackey

Referee
A guy on the other forum who seems to be the most reliable when it comes to info has said

Benji and Farah are both backing up for one last season
McQueen will be gone and maybe one or two other lesser contracted players
They are looking at trying to find a back up no7
The other signings they are looking at are outside backs

Surprisingly no talk of forwards

We have an option on Drinkwated but wouldn’t surprise if they let him stay in Super League, has been very impressive for Catalans

Mario chalmers

Juniors
We have an option on Drinkwated but wouldn’t surprise if they let him stay in Super League, has been very impressive for Catalans

I'd rather Benji and Robbie finish up this year.

Josh Drinkwater is still a good backup option worth full time $ and if it gets his younger brother Scott to the club then I'd be securing both in a package deal.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/07/30/intrust-super-cup-rd-20-highlights-devils-vs-tigers/

He's going to be some player and is off contract

Tiger05

First Grade
Are we linked to anyone? Any poster heard a rumour even? We need to add a couple of pieces.

We do but I suppose we have to see what happens. I just want us to make good recruitment and retention decisions going forward and to have a decent coach running the club.

If Cleary leaves I'm fine with it so long as the club is better after he leaves rather than worse.

super_coach

First Grade
I think the majority of our roster are not going to get better and probably have played above their ability for the most part of the season.

We have to sign player who have upside or at least at the top of there game. You need speed size power and skill and we are short on all of those things.

2019 will be a slide without some real smart recruitment

Russell Coight

Juniors
If we can't get Nathan, I think young Lewis from the Dogs is worth a thought. Very impressed by him

Any clue what his contract situation is?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I think the options to replenish our ranks will come from Roosters and Panthers squads- they have well performing first grade squads and an abundance of supposedly good quality players in ISP that cant get a shot at NRL. Bulldogs too have some talent in ISP but with their NRL squad uncertain I would imagine most of their ISP will want to stay put, stay tribal and take their chances locally.

Tiger Ted

Bench
If we can't get Nathan, I think young Lewis from the Dogs is worth a thought. Very impressed by him

Unfortunately the astute dogs signed him for an additional 2 yrs recently.Very impressive kid who carries himself well & seems to have the rare ability of having so much time when he has ball in his hands.Its early days in his career but this kid has enormous potential & he’d b costing the dogs a smidgeon of what Foran is costing them.

With the addition of Mark Hughes as head of recruitment the dogs will b back on there feet in rapid time.In contrast recruitment is an area we need to improve on rapidly.We have Buckley’s of playing finals next season with our current squad & looking at who’s available & our inability to attract quality I just don’t c how we will enhance the squad adequately so as to b a threat in the short/medium terms.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Btw re NC it’s extremely likely he will b remaining at Penrith & I will b surprised if he’s old man doesn’t join him sooner than ‘21.

Russell Coight

Juniors
Unfortunately the astute dogs signed him for an additional 2 yrs recently.Very impressive kid who carries himself well & seems to have the rare ability of having so much time when he has ball in his hands.Its early days in his career but this kid has enormous potential & he’d b costing the dogs a smidgeon of what Foran is costing them.

With the addition of Mark Hughes as head of recruitment the dogs will b back on there feet in rapid time.In contrast recruitment is an area we need to improve on rapidly.We have Buckley’s of playing finals next season with our current squad & looking at who’s available & our inability to attract quality I just don’t c how we will enhance the squad adequately so as to b a threat in the short/medium terms.

That's a damn shame about Lewis. His smooth transition into 1st grade reminds me a lot of NC when he first came into grade aswell but I reckon he has even more strings to his bow. That FG he kicked against NZ was unbelievable for such a young kid

Re our recruitment: It seems we've given up on trying to lure Nathan here and the names escape me but we've been signing a lot of up and coming juniors recently, didnt we sign the SG Ball player of the tournament plus the halfback of the Australian Schoolboys? Hopefully they can kick on.

Russell Coight

Juniors
Btw re NC it’s extremely likely he will b remaining at Penrith & I will b surprised if he’s old man doesn’t join him sooner than ‘21.

Not without a huge gamble from penrith. I've heard they need to shed a few to fit him in, most notably Merrin, Tamou and I'm hearing CWH who we recently tried to sign might have to make way aswell. I'd take CWH in a heartbeat

Also if cleary has intentions of going to penrith in 21 I'd rather him just f**k off now so we can sign Madge and be done with it

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Not without a huge gamble from penrith. I've heard they need to shed a few to fit him in, most notably Merrin, Tamou and I'm hearing CWH who we recently tried to sign might have to make way aswell. I'd take CWH in a heartbeat

Also if cleary has intentions of going to penrith in 21 I'd rather him just f**k off now so we can sign Madge and be done with it

I think Merrin and Tamou are the ones that will leave. I think CHN will stay with him being bought through the system and all. (This is my personal opinion) and the club will get more years out of him. Cleary senior also rates him too.

I also think once the dust settles the W/T could release Cleary senior. If they chose to keep him it's gunna get more than a bit mucky when it comes to rentention and recuitment. The other alternative would be for W/T to create a new job for a recuitment manager and take this out of Cleary senior's hands.

Tiger05

First Grade
If Cleary goes and we get players in compensation that would be great. If not then we shouldn't let him go. We will still need to recruit players though. I'm sure Ivan could do that up until he leaves assuming he gets some support.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
If Cleary goes and we get players in compensation that would be great. If not then we shouldn't let him go. We will still need to recruit players though. I'm sure Ivan could do that up until he leaves assuming he gets some support.

Not if W/T sack him. It's not in W/T interest considering he is involved in recruitment and retention of players. I think any compensation will (if any) will be relatively small.

I think W/T will cut their losses.

Tiger05

First Grade
Not if W/T sack him. It's not in W/T interest considering he is involved in recruitment and retention of players. I think any compensation will (if any) will be relatively small.

I think W/T will cut their losses.

If we sack him then obviously we get nothing. I can't see us sacking him unless we get a replacement that we want with no drama.

I like him as a coach and I'm cool with him staying but I think the best option for us is player compensation to let him go.

I suppose we just wait and see what happens. I have no issues with him being involved in recruitment and retention. I trust him to be professional.

Vozzy

Juniors
We can complain about the roosters signing stars whether it's fair or not. Why the hell do we do rush signings like say Reynolds. I know in hindsight it may have been needed but if we had saved our money and just stuck with Benji and gamble for a year then we could have made a play for someone like Munster for a club that's rebuilding I couldn't think of a much better player to rebuild around. This bloke is going to play origin/test matches for the next 10 years. He is like Reynolds but on steroids. He is the game breaker that we lack that would get us in the 8. They have say Cronk and then he leaves so they replace with Munster why don't our recruitment think this way.

Whatever farah/reynolds/Marshall are on combined you could pay Munster.

What tigers need to do is not go crazy for next year and aim for A Star centre/second rower/lock/5-8 the year after depending on who we currently have going off contract at the time.

Latest posts