What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Former Storm winger Mahe Fonua set for NRL return, with Wests Tigers looking a likely destination
Published: May 23 2017 - 7:25AM

Super League club Hull will release former Melbourne Storm winger Mahe Fonua from the last season of his three-year contract for family reasons.

The 24-year-old will return to Australia with his wife Christine at the end of the season and is expected to join Wests Tigers upon his return.

Hull coach Lee Radford indicated that Fonua would return to Australian with his full blessing.

"We are obviously disappointed to lose a player of Mahe's quality but we completely understand his reasons for returning home," Radford said.

"It is not the way of our club to stand in the way of a player in these circumstances and Mahe and his family will leave with our blessing and best wishes.

"He arrived as a bit of an unknown quantity to many people but leaves us having made a real impression on the club and the competition.

"He has had the opportunity to prove himself, develop his game and returns to the NRL as a better player, which could be our approach again should the right player and opportunity present itself."

Fonua was a tryscorer in Hull's long-awaited Challenge Cup final win over Warrington at Wembley last August and was named in the Dream Team after an impressive first season in Super League.

"I am extremely grateful for the club's support and understanding of the situation and how accommodating they have been," Fonua said.

"I have always had ambitions to return to the NRL at some stage but the timing now is important for my family and for us to be back closer to home."

Fonua scored 24 tries in 50 appearances during his first stint in the NRL.

AAP

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/content/adapt...ing-a-likely-destination-20170522-gwarlp.html

Clifferd

Coach
Cool

He wasn't that bad of a player, fell behind the pecking order of korobeite and that other Fijian winger which most wingers probably would tbh

He could be another Tuiaki type winger for us

I'm still hoping we can get Milne. I love watching him play and he'd come cheap

Tiger Ted

Bench
A very good acquisition & he won't cost us much.Things r looking good for '18.Itd b nice if we could restore some dignity with consistent quality efforts for the rest of '17 but I just can't c that happening with this group of amateurs !

Our for & against of -138 after only 11 rounds is horrendous.The telling statistic is how badly our attack has been whereby we've scored a paltry 152 pts in 11 games @ an avg of 14 pts per game & this from a team that can't defend.When a 6 & a 1 think they r worth $1mill+ then consequently they should b creating & scoring a combined 3 tries+ per game & contributing enormously to us winning >50% of our games.Based on these figures & his appalling individual stats in the 10 matches for us Moses is worthless & the biggest lemon in the Nrl of players who most handle the ball . Sucked in Parra !!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fonua is a genuine centre. I've watched a lot of his career even pre NRL.

The thing i find intriguing is that he's returning for family reasons.

I believe most of his family are in Melbourne.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Yep, he came into First grade on the wing and struggled under the high ball due to his size, is very much in the matt Utai would. When he was moved into the centers he was ultra impressive. Very damaging runner yet had a surprisingly good catch and pass along with a around the corner offload to his winger. Mainly played left center which would allow Suli to go over to the right where he played all his juniours.

Tiger05

First Grade

The thing i find intriguing is that he's returning for family reasons.

I believe most of his family are in Melbourne.

It's probably an excuse. I haven't watched him play but I watched some highlights. He was definitely playing centre a lot but he was also playing wing.

simmo05

Bench
A very good acquisition & he won't cost us much.Things r looking good for '18.Itd b nice if we could restore some dignity with consistent quality efforts for the rest of '17 but I just can't c that happening with this group of amateurs !

Our for & against of -138 after only 11 rounds is horrendous.The telling statistic is how badly our attack has been whereby we've scored a paltry 152 pts in 11 games @ an avg of 14 pts per game & this from a team that can't defend.When a 6 & a 1 think they r worth $1mill+ then consequently they should b creating & scoring a combined 3 tries+ per game & contributing enormously to us winning >50% of our games.Based on these figures & his appalling individual stats in the 10 matches for us Moses is worthless & the biggest lemon in the Nrl of players who most handle the ball . Sucked in Parra !!
Jt was focusing on defence and forgot about attack!:thinking::thinking::thinking:

WT Unity

Juniors
Yep, he came into First grade on the wing and struggled under the high ball due to his size, is very much in the matt Utai would. When he was moved into the centers he was ultra impressive. Very damaging runner yet had a surprisingly good catch and pass along with a around the corner offload to his winger. Mainly played left center which would allow Suli to go over to the right where he played all his juniours.

Just looked up Mahe on a couple of websites....Funny thing about his height!

• The Hull FC website player profile lists him @ 185cm high (which according to the online converter translates to 6' tall) ?
  • Another profile (on his wikipedia profile) lists him as 179cm & 5'10" (although the online converter translates 179cm to 5'9"
Will the real Mane Fonua stand up...or at least stand up straight....or take of your platform shoes...we'd like to measure you!!!:D

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is
Just looked up Mahe on a couple of websites....Funny thing about his height!

• The Hull FC website player profile lists him @ 185cm high (which according to the online converter translates to 6' tall) ?
  • Another profile (on his wikipedia profile) lists him as 179cm & 5'10" (although the online converter translates 179cm to 5'9"
Will the real Mane Fonua stand up...or at least stand up straight....or take of your platform shoes...we'd like to measure you!!!:D
Id say hes around the 185cm. He was very similar height to me as an 18 year old and i stand at 182cm

super_coach

First Grade
Fonau is a honest signing but is he much better than Kevie, I am not sure. Outside us and the Knights would he crack a starting gig???Cleary focus is on the team and team effort so I guess I should not focus on individuals, but all the good teams are chocker block full of above average NRL players and to think we can put a so called solid side together and push for a top eight finish is optimistic at best

Tigerm

First Grade
Fonau is a honest signing but is he much better than Kevie, I am not sure. Outside us and the Knights would he crack a starting gig???Cleary focus is on the team and team effort so I guess I should not focus on individuals, but all the good teams are chocker block full of above average NRL players and to think we can put a so called solid side together and push for a top eight finish is optimistic at best
But ya gotta try or why be there.

I have said previously, that I am sure there a lot of players & managers who would not want to come near us ATM. Hopefully a consistent season next year will help change that.

super_coach

First Grade
But ya gotta try or why be there.

I have said previously, that I am sure there a lot of players & managers who would not want to come near us ATM. Hopefully a consistent season next year will help change that.

I get what your saying and I know Cleary wants to rebuild the place and build a team based on players who will not buckle under pressure who will get a job done. I just think you also need a few game breakers and I do not see any at this stage for 2018

Shredder

Juniors
Supercoach, hes also building in the depth.

Remember, the vast majority of state cup and lower grade players are on year to year contracts.
We wont really know who he is signing for first grade until next year.
Names bandied around may well end up in Reggies.

I commend him for putting a broom through the entire place.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's also working to a similar salary cap that is in place for 2017. Given some huge increases to the cap are expected next year we will still be in the market next year for a few quality players