What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger Ted

Bench
i don't know how I can explain it any further so I'll leave it...

Let's see how he goes... knowing the amount of injuries they seem to get each year it won't surprise me to see him get a few NRL games in
If he or anybody of his ilk for whatever reason play any nrl games for us next yr we will b well & truly f**ked !!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Interesting that Benji Marshall told his brother to move on from the Tigers....

Makes the decision for the club to sign Godinet even more perplexing if he thinks they already have hooker covered at the club..

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...r-jeremy-to-leave-the-tigers-for-the-bulldogs

Benji Marshall was behind the decision to move his younger brother from Wests Tigers to the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Jeremy Marshall-King made his NRL debut for the Tigers in the last game of the season and was poised to accept a one-year extension.

While that move would have given the pair a chance of fulfilling their dream of playing first grade together, it is also likely they would have squared off for the same utility position.

"It was sort of my decision for him to go," Benji said. "He wanted to stay because I was here and that was his only reason. I just think, opportunity wise, as a hooker, going to the Bulldogs was a better fit for him

The Tigers got Jacob Liddle, who they probably see as the future here, Matt McIlwrick and a couple of other young guys who can fit in that position.

"For Jeremy at the Bulldogs, he's probably second or third cab off the rank so he'll probably have more chance."

Benji Marshall, 32, has returned to the Tigers for the 2018 season after making 201 appearances for them between 2003 and 2013.

He played 54 times for the St George Illawarra Dragons and 14 for the Brisbane Broncos in 2017 before moving back to the Tigers.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Jayden Nikorima has been sacked from the Roosters. We might have jumped a bit early with Godinet, although he does have to still serve a 12 game drug suspension. But if Benji took him under his wing it might be worth it, he looked miles better than Kodi in the 20s

Tiger Ted

Bench
Jayden Nikorima has been sacked from the Roosters. We might have jumped a bit early with Godinet, although he does have to still serve a 12 game drug suspension. But if Benji took him under his wing it might be worth it, he looked miles better than Kodi in the 20s
I agree that our prodigal son would b the ideal mentor for Jayden.

It’s typical that we would sign someone who is surplus to our needs like godinet to fill the last position of our 30 man roster.

We should’ve been patient & waited for a potentially beneficial opportunitity to arise like Jayden Niko.

We may as well have retained Lovett instead of signing Godinet.At least Kyle is a local junior who busted his arse every time he played albeit he had some obvious deficiencies.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Good call, yes Jayden Nikorima would have been a real handy pickup. I’d be looking to offer him a contract for 2019 already

BuffaloRules

Coach

No this cant be possible....

30 yr old Godinet was clearly the best opportunity available to beef up our 4th string utility ranks,,,

Wests Tigers squad management over the past 18 years has been the envy of the NRL....

BrotherJim05

Bench
Why is everyone ripping into Godinet, he will be a bench player in our reserve grade team at best. He is our 29th player on our roster so if we really want Nikorima we could go after him

Vic Mackey

Referee
Why is everyone ripping into Godinet, he will be a bench player in our reserve grade team at best. He is our 29th player on our roster so if we really want Nikorima we could go after him

Didn’t you know? Every player we sign needs to be of State of Origin standard otherwise the clubs f*#ked.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Not really...

Just don't sign midget 30 yr olds with no up side who everybody hopes never gets near the field for an NRL game...

Like even the defenders of the signing are saying.... " he is a bench player for reserve grade" :rolleyes:

To me that is just a waste....

Das Hassler

Bench
Maybe not really a waste....you have 2 spots you MUST fill with X dollars left in the cap. ...how much could he be on?...minimum whatever that is. Don't you want maximum dollars left to fill that last spot ?

gordsy

Juniors
Maybe not really a waste....you have 2 spots you MUST fill with X dollars left in the cap. ...how much could he be on?...minimum whatever that is. Don't you want maximum dollars left to fill that last spot ?
I see the point you're making but what's the chances of us signing Peta Godinet as the 29th player and signing a Gareth Ellis clone as our 30th.

Shredder

Juniors
I suspect we are actually working on a little cap management.

By my rough numbers, we have ne spot left and about $600k in space.

If we sign another numpty at $100k, that leaves us half a million in spare space that we can use to front load contracts. Then when the time comes, say NC comes off contract, we have space AND we are compliant.

Ivan obviously feels he has his top 17 and first level of depth covered, so its clever to fill the spaces with cheapies.

In terms of rules, our "top 30" is simply our 30 priciest players, no matter where they play and we have until Next June to fill it.

Perhaps we are front loading and perhaps we are positioning for an early season signing?

Either way Im happy enough with the first run of guys.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I suspect we are actually working on a little cap management.

By my rough numbers, we have ne spot left and about $600k in space.

If we sign another numpty at $100k, that leaves us half a million in spare space that we can use to front load contracts. Then when the time comes, say NC comes off contract, we have space AND we are compliant.

Ivan obviously feels he has his top 17 and first level of depth covered, so its clever to fill the spaces with cheapies.

In terms of rules, our "top 30" is simply our 30 priciest players, no matter where they play and we have until Next June to fill it.

Perhaps we are front loading and perhaps we are positioning for an early season signing?

Either way Im happy enough with the first run of guys.

FFS...

No one is saying don't sign another "numpty" at minimum freight...

But why not sign one that is young and MAY develop into something a few years down the track?

Why waste the spot on a 30 year old reserve for NSW Cup that everybody hopes never plays first grade and then is punted at the end of 2018 never to be seen again?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Mainly BR because there arent that many left on the market?

Its mid December.

Players become available all the time in this league ... we should know better than most that contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on...

I also hope that they have more than $500K left for player no 30...

BrotherJim05

Bench
Lets say we do have $500k left in the bank that has to be spend by June, I would much much rather hold onto this than try and spend it before round 1. It's not like Dylan Walker or JAC is suddenly going to become available in the next few weeks.

Imagine if we take a massive blow to our stocks in a certain position early in the year due to injury, then suddenly a quality player comes on the market due to any number of reasons (salary cap rorting, players being disgruntled etc). This sort of shit happens every year...Moses was a perfect example. If Parra didn't have the cap space they wouldn't have had a halfback for most of the year.

If it comes June and there is nobody available, no big deal, front load the shit out of all the players that look like they are struggling. If they can't make first grade in 2019 then we are covered.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Apparently we've signed ex shark Nathan Gardner on a nsw cup contract. Hard to believe he is only 27, I thought he'd be over 30 for sure. Interestingly he is the only out and out 1 at the club.

Shredder

Juniors
Seems like hes been around forever huh Vic -

He was a decent prospect if I remember correctly. Change might do him good.