What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger Ted

Bench
Keen to see how Lolohea goes at 1 but admit I’m not totally convinced he’ll be a success.

I think our halves will surprise and be good along with Liddle who will own the 9. Brooks hasn’t lived up to expectations however if you look at the stats I’m fairly confident he’s been in the top 5 when you combine try’s, TAs, line breaks and LBAs generally every year he’s played first grade.

When Ivan coached Penrith he dropped Kevin Kingston who was the captain for a young James Segeyaro, if Brooks or JRey aren’t performing and Benji/Gamble look a better option I have faith Ivan will make the big call.
I agree re LoLo as I don’t believe he has the necessary ingredients to b a star in any spinal position.Hence id b quite surprised if he were to hold onto the fullback position for much of the season.

This is Brooks’s last chance to prove he is worthy of an NRL gig.I don’t have much faith that he can take his game to the required level expected of a game manager in the NRL.Thankfully the prodigal son & hopefully Gamble will b breathing down his neck.

Geez don’t we need Liddle to have a breakout year !

In summary geez there r major doubts about our spine.Personally I don’t believe we have any hope of making the 8 with the substandard options we have on our roster who play in the spine.

Nathan Cleary can’t get to Concord soon enough as far as I’m concerned & it won’t surprise if we do a deal with Penrith b4 his contract expires that involves them attaining Brooks.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
TigerM I cant remember him playing 80 mins - has he with us or was that with his other clubs?

MM played bigger minutes in the backend of the year and played one game of 80 against the Cowboys. But this was out of necessity and not ideal as when the minutes increased so did the missed tackles.

I like McIlwrick and I am definitely not being over critical of him and if we are to go with 2 hookers I am happy with him in the team. But he is not an 80 minute Hooker & I believe Liddle is (or will be). You can always find a backrower to fill in but that is just going back to Taylorball. The team loses shape and the halves suffer.

The bottom line is with an 80 minute hooker you will have a bench where you wont have to pick between Twal and Eisenhuth. You can be the girl from the Taco add and have both. Its such a huge advantage.

Shredder

Juniors
There arent that many 80 min hookers left in the modern game though.........

The game has got so fast that it makes more sense to use two hookers, unless of course you have a Cameron Smith on your roster.

Clifferd

Coach

The game has got so fast that it makes more sense to use two hookers, unless of course you have a Cameron Smith on your roster.

IMHO Liddles game time will be pretty limited to start off with. Can easily see ET starting the first 20-25 mins at hooker with Liddle coming in to finish off the game. That would also allow Einsenhuth to start at lock and once Liddle comes on Aloiai can come off for a breather & move into the prop rotation

8. Packer
9. Taylor
10. Grant
11. Lawrence
12. Aloiai ( ET moves here when Liddle comes on, Aloiai off)
13. Einsenhuth

14. Liddle
15. Matulino
16. McQueen
17. Twal

This is also assuming Marsters starts in centres...atm with Suli recovering from injury I’m pretty confident he will. Otherwise I’d swap Marsters for McQueens bench spot

Crazyperpman

Juniors

They are more prevalent than you would think and I would say the more successful clubs have one as a priority.

Storm = Smith
Broncos = Mcculloch
Roosters = Friend
Dragons McInnes
Panthers = Wallace
Titans = Peats
Bulldogs Lichaa
Souths = Farah (Capable, but shares with Cook)
Raiders = Hodgson
Warriors = Luke

Also Pritchard (Eels) & Brailey (Sharks) started 2017 playing 80 minutes but Pritchard got injured and Segeyaro joined the sharks.

Not saying they always 100% play 80 minutes but all of the above regular play without being interchanged unless injured or head binned.

The way Smith plays he will go until he is 45. He rarely gets tackled and his defense consists of falling on guys already tackled and looking like he is trying to get up as fast as he can.

Vic Mackey

Referee
IMHO Liddles game time will be pretty limited to start off with. Can easily see ET starting the first 20-25 mins at hooker with Liddle coming in to finish off the game. That would also allow Einsenhuth to start at lock and once Liddle comes on Aloiai can come off for a breather & move into the prop rotation

8. Packer
9. Taylor
10. Grant
11. Lawrence
13. Einsenhuth

14. Liddle
15. Matulino
16. McQueen
17. Twal

This is also assuming Marsters starts in centres...atm with Suli recovering from injury I’m pretty confident he will. Otherwise I’d swap Marsters for McQueens bench spot

Exactly what I have. Gives us the best balance IMO

gordsy

Juniors
Nice to see our forward pack being strong enough where we look for the plodders as opposed to all the years where we had to search for forwards that weren't.

BrotherJim05

Bench
8. Packer
9. Taylor
10. Grant
11. Lawrence
13. Einsenhuth

14. Liddle
15. Matulino
16. McQueen
17. Twal

I don't think we will be able to go the distance with only two middle forwards on the bench. Mcqueen is an out and out 2nd rower (can cover centre but definitely not middle). I'd much rather see Sue on the bench who can cover 2nd row, prop or lock.

I'd basically keep the same team with the same method you are using but replace Aloai with Mcqueen, then slot Sue onto the bench. Gives us superior grunt through the middle (and edges if needed) which I honestly feel Brooks will excel behind.

Aloai will be putting HUGE pressure on all our back rowers. I will be surprised if he doesn't push Lawrence or McQueen out of the side mid-late season, or slots in simply due to injury.

Centre positions will be completely up for grabs between Marsters, Miline and Suli. Whoever puts in the most in pre-season will likely get the starting jumper while the odd man out will put pressure on the others.

Radical Rat

Juniors
We’ve had guys like Lovett and Edwards making full strength teams for the last 3 years. This year we’ll have guys in reserve grade better then them. Exciting times

While this is true, the pessimist in me still sees our roster as one of the weakest in the comp. We legitimately don't have one big name superstar. Have a look at the Sharks roster and the amount of stars and compare it to ours. It's beyond ridiculous.

Shredder

Juniors
RR, I think its just a different philosophy mate.

The Roosters are a team full of stars and have probably under-performed their roster. So did the Broncos in their first ten years in the comp.

Ivan himself has said "the team is the star" and its that old phrase, a champion team will beat a team of champions.

Gold Coast didnt do great when they signed their champion fullback either......

If we get this team to gel, then over the years as players leave they wont leave such big holes.
Im comfortable with what Ivan is doing. Im especially happy with how he has replaced our depth.

Lets compare where we finish next year to where the Knights finish, who have recruited names, whereas we have recruited grit.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Yeah I get that mate. And I do have a heap of confidence in Ivan. I'm actually feeling very positive about blokes like Milne and a fit Suli becoming a gun centres pairing.

Just in relation to the salary cap, it's hard to look at the Sharks roster and then compare it to ours. Then they just casually pick up signings like Dugan and Moylan. It just annoys me.

Shredder

Juniors
And see I reckon the Sharks are a great role model for us.

They were in the same boat as us when they bought guys like Heino and Gibbs and have steadily improved the level of players they have bought. Thats what I reckon Ivan will do.

If we knock on the door of the 8 this year, we will be able to attract these top players and just steadily improve each year, which you have to do in this competition. Our forward pack on paper looks better than its been since the merger. Thats a pretty good start.

gordsy

Juniors
I think we will have slow success with recruiting big name players as we don't have a big money behind us but hopefully success will bring a bunch of new bigger sponsors and that will be enough,

Tiger Ted

Bench
I think we will have slow success with recruiting big name players as we don't have a big money behind us but hopefully success will bring a bunch of new bigger sponsors and that will be enough,
We just need to recruit the superstar son of our humble coach to catapult the team into the realm of premiership contenders !

It’s just a matter of time b4 IC’s doppleganger is reporting to work at Concord.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
It has already been mentioned several times our tough start to the year. I just hope the board do not drop their bundle and take it out on IC. We need to give this guy a fair go with a solid team.

Worse thing they could do is move him on then Nathan does go elsewhere!!!

Das Hassler

Bench
It could be argued that the 2005 side was considered by some as one of the weakest ( if not THE weakest) rosters in the competition at the time...not one SOO or Kangaroo rep and only Scott Prince taken as a reserve on the end of year tour....so long as they're tough..consistent and coachable the winning team will come together...for me it's not a question of if..just when.
For the first time in the short WT history we finally have what we don't have....NO disruprive...attention seeking drama queens and i'm very glad we didn't bring any to the club