What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Appreciation thread

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Awesome times guys, impressive. I clocked 1:16:50 in my first C2S,pretty happy with that as I was aiming for sub-120 and only started running at all at the start of the year. Will aim for red start group (1:10) as next year's goal I reckon.

Snoochies

First Grade
HELP!!

Not sure if there is such a thing as hitting the wall or plateau in running?

Bit of background first. I'm currently training for Toughmudder which is in just over 5 weeks time. I'm currently closely following this program (http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/endurance-training/The-12-Week-Tough-Mudder-Training-Plan.html) as best as I can with time available. Anyway in a nutshell, I have never ever enjoyed running long distance, have always enjoyed weights, sprints, boxing etc but when it came to the long run I always cringed. Anyway, I'm somewhat thankful for this program as it has made me start to run the pavement further and have been able to run my first 10k's since forever. But for some reason it has all come crashing down. 2 weeks ago I completed a 10k run on a Monday but the Saturday after I could barely get around the block. Come Monday again, same problem. I though maybe I might be burning out so I thought I'd take a week off to rest. Anyway it's been a good 2 weeks now since I have completed a decent run, I went out today and thought I'd try 8k's instead and did really well or the first 4k's but then nothing after that. For awhile I was enjoying the running but frankly it's starting to bore me and I'm thinking a lack of motivation is kicking in, I'm definitely not puffed out but more or less can't be bothered to complete the run.

Is this normal?

So my dilema is now what do I focus on before the Toughmudder event? Not wether I can run 10k's again. Toughmudder is 20km long but has 27 challenges so about 750m on average between obstacles. As I said before, I love doing sprint work and I know I can put the effort into sprints so should I focus more on this aspect as it is my strength? The program also has hill sprints starting next week but wondering if I should exchange the long distance run for normal sprint work? or if anyone has a magic formula to get out of this slump? Any suggestions?

Danish

Referee
Definitely sounds more like you are just hitting a mental plateau to your running rather than anything physical. I hit a bit of a wall like that when my runs started creeping up above 8km or so. Found it hard to get out there every day and was coming up with little niggling injuries to stop running.

I got through it by modifying my running schedule to include more "fun" sessions, like fartlek runs, repetitions and hill work instead of just plodding along at the same pace constantly.

Looking at the tough mudder training you've got above, it looks like it only asks for 2 runs per week dor most of the training program, then kicking up to 3 a week for the last 4 weeks, so my suggestion would be to keep doing the hills sessions, then if you really aren't liking the long runs perhaps substitute some more speed work with some long repetitions or a fartlek session.

Something like jog 10 mins warm up, then 4 x 1km repetitions with a 2 min rest in between, then 10 min cool down. That will still see you running a good 6-8km depending on what sort of pace you run at for your warm up/cool down.

Or just do a fartlek session, which is basically switching between hard running and joggin over set time periods. Again 10 min warm up, then run 2 x 90 sec, 4 x 60 sec, 4 x 30 sec, 4 x 15 sec, jogging for the same amount of time between each rep (so 90 sec jog between the 90 sec reps etc), then 10 min cool down jog. This will also see you run 6-8km depending on your speed.

They are 2 really good speed sessions that will also assist your distance running, and are a little more fun to complete than just running along at a set pace. Realistically though running is never going to be fun.... I saw a running shirt the other day that said "My sport is your sports punishment", which sums it up pretty well :D

Snoochies

First Grade
Thanks Danish, I think you're spot on that it's more mental. I enjoy shorter term goals so what you have there sounds like a great plan and gives me the challeneges I like. I think it would work better also for the challenge as I don't think any particular run will be any longer than 1km at a time anyway.

Thanks for the tips. :thumb

Danish

Referee
no worries mate. Repetitions are about the best way to improve speed over middle to long distances, and also give you the ability to compete against yourself several times over a single work out. Always aim for to have your times for each rep reduce over the work out so that your last one is the fastest of the session.

Another good thing to try i you want to make long runs more enjoyable is to run point-to-point, instead of in a loop. So basically instead of just walking out your front door and running around the streets till you eventually end up back at your house, you pick a landmark and run to it.

Personally I pick a train staton and run to it, then catch the train home (or vice versa). Makes it feel like more of an accomplishment that way and can add a bit of fun to it as you can actually gauge just how far you are running. I also like getting the wife to drive me so many kms from our home then getting out and running back. Again you get the sense of achievement from running from a to b, plus you aren't able to pike out early as you simply have to get home.

abpanther

Staff member
Good stuff Danish, I was running a bit last year and have stopped now while focusing on weights and soccer but wouldn't mind doing a little bit over the warmer months.

I too struggled with getting bored after a while, I like some of those ideas, particularly the one about getting dropped off somewhere and having to run home

Snoochies

First Grade
Thanks for advice last week Danish, worked a treat.

I still need to adjust a little and managed 5 X 1km runs followed by 2 x 800m runs. The last 800 run was supposed to be my cool down coming back to the office but had energy to burn so ran it hard and had an ice cold shower instead.

I have to say it's alot more motivating and I feel I could give more, I think having the rest at the end gives helps as I know I can run harder knowing there is a break up ahead.

Cheers

Thomas

First Grade
no worries mate. Repetitions are about the best way to improve speed over middle to long distances, and also give you the ability to compete against yourself several times over a single work out. Always aim for to have your times for each rep reduce over the work out so that your last one is the fastest of the session.

Another good thing to try i you want to make long runs more enjoyable is to run point-to-point, instead of in a loop. So basically instead of just walking out your front door and running around the streets till you eventually end up back at your house, you pick a landmark and run to it.

Personally I pick a train staton and run to it, then catch the train home (or vice versa). Makes it feel like more of an accomplishment that way and can add a bit of fun to it as you can actually gauge just how far you are running. I also like getting the wife to drive me so many kms from our home then getting out and running back. Again you get the sense of achievement from running from a to b, plus you aren't able to pike out early as you simply have to get home.

Good advice. I got bored of running because I was mapping out a route. Instead, I started running out and back, increasing the time out by a couple of minutes a week. It's a great way to start getting some larger runs under your belt. I do trail runs and get the missus to drop me off at one side of Toohey Forest in Brisbane and she takes to kids up to the top of Mt Gravatt to the playground. I meet them there 45 minutes later. Wheezing.

Misanthrope

Staff member
After a six month laziness/freezing cold Chinese winter/new girlfriend induced hiatus, I got back out there and did a road run tonight. For the first run in six months and my first in Vibrams since August 2011 - I was pretty happy with my pace.

Finished 5.02k in 33 minutes. Far from my best time, but pleasing given the amount of time I've had out. Given that I also had occasional walk periods to catch my breath, I think I can easily shave a few minutes off that time and surpass my old PB in a few months time.

Baby steps, baby!

God-King Dean

Immortal
Just started running again, again.

I've gone for two 15 km runs. Seems to be a good distance for me, because at almost precisely 15kms I start to cramp up. Now got two big arse blisters on the insides of my foot.

Is there anyway to prevent cramps, or do I just have to clog up more kms so my legs get use to it?
Do you find it's better to run shorter distances every day, or just go for another long run once your body recovers?
How do you prevent blisters? I assume there's certain socks for that?

Diesel

Referee
I started in July, I could only do a few hundred metres at a time. Now I have a circuit of just under 9.2km and run 7km of that which has some walking of 250-300m in between. The fitness is there and I was able to do the Bridge to Brisbane in just over 51 mins.
I've dropped about 8kg but still want to lose a little more around the middle, will running in interval sprints of a few hundred metres at a time help me drop weight quicker than running 3km, walk 200m, run 1km walk 250m, run 1.5km etc???

Danish

Referee
Just started running again, again.

I've gone for two 15 km runs. Seems to be a good distance for me, because at almost precisely 15kms I start to cramp up. Now got two big arse blisters on the insides of my foot.

Is there anyway to prevent cramps, or do I just have to clog up more kms so my legs get use to it?
Do you find it's better to run shorter distances every day, or just go for another long run once your body recovers?
How do you prevent blisters? I assume there's certain socks for that?

Cramping is generally a sign of dehydration in my experience. Do you sweat a lot? If so you should notice salt on your arms, neck, etc after a run.

How long does 15km take? Are you drinking anything along the way? Generally if running for much over an hour I'll plan to get a quick drink somewhere along the way, just water usually but something sugary is good too if its a hot day.

I've just started back into marathon training for the Canberra marathon next April. Long way out and the proper program doses to tart till January but just building a base at the moment. Need to be running 70km per week before the start of the program so should be good fun.

Aiming for 3:10 or so. Will probably want to drop down to around the 73kg mark to really give myself the best chance (sitting at 79 now)

Danish

Referee
I started in July, I could only do a few hundred metres at a time. Now I have a circuit of just under 9.2km and run 7km of that which has some walking of 250-300m in between. The fitness is there and I was able to do the Bridge to Brisbane in just over 51 mins.
I've dropped about 8kg but still want to lose a little more around the middle, will running in interval sprints of a few hundred metres at a time help me drop weight quicker than running 3km, walk 200m, run 1km walk 250m, run 1.5km etc???

Intervals certainly help as you'll end up doing a higher intensity of running for a longer period of your run.

You could give some 400m reps a go. Maybe 2km at a leisurely jog to warm up, then 8x400m intervals (run the 400m hard, then walk 200m for recovery before the next rep), then another 2km at that slow pace. That's over 8km all up, with 4km jogging, 1.4km walking, and 3.2km hard running. Don't try and sprint the 400m though or you'll never get through it. Rung them hard but run at a pace you can maintain for the full 400m instead of sprinting for 100m then slowing down for the next 300

Diesel

Referee
Thanks Danish, I've just come back and did about 1/2 of what you suggested and I'm buggered however as I increase the distances over the next week to 10 days I should get up there.

Thanks again for the detailed workout, I appreciate it

Danish

Referee
All good mate.

doing reps like that definitely takes a different sort of fitness so you'll feel buggered a lot quicker than just going along at a normal pace. You'll see noticeable improvements if you keep at it though. 8 x 400 is probably a pretty tough one to start with so just do as many reps as you can of it and maybe add on an extra rep every 1-2 weeks.

Another good one to try just to mix it up would be a fartlek run, which is essentially switching from hard running to slow jogging over a set amount of time. A good one would be:

- 60s hard, 60s slow x 4
- 30s hard, 30s slow x 4
- 15s hard, 15s slow x 4

All up its only a 14 minute session, but you bloody feel it! Bookended by a warm up and cool down run. Once you can get through this well you then add a 90s hard, 90s slow rep to the start and slowly build that up till you are doing 4 of those before moving into the 60s reps.

Honestly most speedwork feels like ass while you are doing it, but the runners high afterwards is twice as good so when you finish it feels worth it.

Diesel

Referee
I'll give that a go too, the 400's are a killer I remember them from the high school days.

Good lunch with the Canberra marathon training, you're practically going to be running twice what I do per week