What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

mickeylane

Bench
It's code for not enough money to extend all off contract players. Packer, Lafai and Mann at the top end of the list of those unsigned are at risk of being let go depending on the value of Dugan's contract. I'm sure at least one of those 3 will be extended even if Dugan is extended. If Dugan accepted the offer as tabled, you can be fairly sure that both Lafai and Packer will be extended. Hence why:
Millward has never mentioned Mann or Lafai in his rants.
Millward has only mentioned Packer when speaking about Dugan's deal.

Now what will happen if Mann kills it at five-eighth? Will he be re-signed for 2018 or will it cause other clubs to go after him with haste?

Millward's whole strategy revolves around not only Dugan accepting 750k, he is really serious that sometime in 2018, Dugan will play right centre and Field will be our first grade fullback. Thus the reason Lafai is not on the radar and why Aitken was signed early on. So in Millward's world our backline in 2018 will look like this:
1. Field
2. Macdonald
3. Dugan
4. Aitken
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Hunt

Makes it all much clearer now doesn't it?
Salary cap tipped to be announced at $9.4M next week - that gives us enough to sign
DUGAN
Lafai
MANN
Packer and
GAGAI!!!

Reactions: Qdf

possm

Coach
Salary cap tipped to be announced at $9.4M next week - that gives us enough to sign
DUGAN
Lafai
MANN
Packer and
GAGAI!!!
Maybe that will help fit Packer, Lafai and Mann but I'm sure you would not fit Gagai at that figure.

Prometheus

Juniors
Packer staying wouldn't just be good for the Dragons, it would be just as good for Packer. We have a proven ability to rehabilitate players who have had off-field behavioural problems at other clubs.

P.S. We're in the market for Lady Gaga?!? What position does she play?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
if packer departs who do we sign ?

Actually I don't think Packer will go.
It just seems the salary cap is moving every week (upwards fortunately). A couple of weeks ago it was 8.4m, last week 9.17m, now reportedly 9.4m

So really the money that was reserved for Packer stays the same, so to speak, the extra money being bandied about to re-sign Duges is coming from these increases. So for example, we have approx. 283k more than last week, so increase Duges by (insert figure here) but I'm guessing 150k. Now that still leaves 183k to play with to keep Packer and who ever else we want.
Remember too, that the reported extension for Vaughan comes in after 2019, not next year.

That's why Packer will stay IMO and of course he loves the club for taking him in and giving him a chance.

Minh

First Grade
Dugan, Packer, Lafai and Mann... if we can re-sign our current players that's all we will need to focus on...

GC Dragon

Juniors
Actually I don't think Packer will go.
It just seems the salary cap is moving every week (upwards fortunately). A couple of weeks ago it was 8.4m, last week 9.17m, now reportedly 9.4m

So really the money that was reserved for Packer stays the same, so to speak, the extra money being bandied about to re-sign Duges is coming from these increases. So for example, we have approx. 283k more than last week, so increase Duges by (insert figure here) but I'm guessing 150k. Now that still leaves 183k to play with to keep Packer and who ever else we want.
Remember too, that the reported extension for Vaughan comes in after 2019, not next year.

That's why Packer will stay IMO and of course he loves the club for taking him in and giving him a chance.
Didn't know the cap increased . That explains the Dugan offer being increased .
With Packer the Tigers are pushing the fact that he has played under Cleary and they have signed Matulino who they said is Packers best friend . But I hope he stays and this forward pack can be kept in together for a few more years .

Walpole

Juniors
DUGAN
Lafai
MANN
Packer and
GAGAI!!!
Gagai? I thought you were now advocating for Alex Johnston. It's hard to keep up. Anyone else off contract next season who we haven't mentioned yet?

It all seems pretty simple for my little brain. Keep the blokes we've already got and develop the youngsters.

Reactions: Qdf

Bench
I think Packer will stay. There was a post in Facebook from someone who knows him said he will stat. But then he said it would be announced yesterday.
Just like all the I know poster it might be just BS.
I remember Millward saying Packer would be wrapped up after Widdoo and Dugan were settled.
Just hope Packer stays. It would be a shame if he leaves

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
I believe Packer will stay. He has found a home here and maybe I am old fashioned but we looked afterward him and took the chance and it has worked for him and us. I would lose some respect if he left us if we offer fair market value. He is just starting to repay our faith this year.

That said, why didn't we have him secured earlier?

possm

Coach
I don't know if anything official regarding the salary cap size has come out since it was announced by the NRL that it would be 8.3m. There have been media suggestions but until the NRL come out with a revised cap limit, we are still at 8.3m. I am of the understanding that we cannot keep Dugan, Packer, Lafai and Mann with a cap of 8.3m unless we do what some other clubs are doing - circumvent the cap with TPAs.