What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russia

hgfds

Juniors
According to this link russia will be playing some matches prior to their match with wales which they definately need .
http ://www.nzherald.co.nz/sports/sportsstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=3524083&thesection=sport&thesubsection=rugbyleague&thesecondsubsection=general.
When will they come to oz??? the old style tours of regional oz where a cheap development tool for rl ,will our current administrators ever realize this.

The Colonel

Immortal
I was in Russia in 2001 for the Europa Cup played between students from Moscow, Kazan Arrows, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales as well as an invitational side from NSW Student Rugby League. 8)

There are some bloody good footballers over there who know how to do all the basics but need to incorporate some flair into their play. I would be keen to see them play some of our first division or Jim Beam Cup teams.

Its an untapped market over there.

ali

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
I was in Russia in 2001 for the Europa Cup played between students from Moscow, Kazan Arrows, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales as well as an invitational side from NSW Student Rugby League. 8)

There are some bloody good footballers over there who know how to do all the basics but need to incorporate some flair into their play. I would be keen to see them play some of our first division or Jim Beam Cup teams.

Its an untapped market over there.

I am sure myself and others on this forum would like to hear more about your experiences in Kazan.

The Observer

Staff member
Colonel Eel, which team were you over there with (e.g. NSW Students)? Did you meet any of the people involved with Russian League?

The Colonel

Immortal
NSW Students.

I met a few people over there - more to do with the Kazan Arrows and mostly just the players. I had a bit to do with some of them however we were pretty busy amongst the team and the language barrier makes it a bit hard. Spoke more with the UK clubs....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Rugby League in Russia just seems to get better and better. i noticed it by the way the Russian team played in the World Sevens and looking at the crowd figures in Russia. Like what Colonel Eel said, I hope they play one of the Australian teams just to improve their football.

What about the way played in the World Sevens, sure they got beaten by big margins but they were playing some good footy, the tries they scored were just brilliant. I hope they are in next years World Sevens, it really got the crowd going in this years.

Stevo_G

Juniors
yeah it would be good if russia come to the sevens next year
hopefully russia can get some more crowds like they got when they played usa

The Observer

Staff member
Colonel Eel said:
NSW Students.

I met a few people over there - more to do with the Kazan Arrows and mostly just the players. I had a bit to do with some of them however we were pretty busy amongst the team and the language barrier makes it a bit hard. Spoke more with the UK clubs....

Cool. A friend of mine played with the Magicians last year and early this year, and I believe he was the first foreign player to play RL in Russia. He said the same thing - that there are some players with the raw ability to be good footballers IF they were given the right training.

In-goal

Bench
i think what Russia need is a World class technicle director to help with the coaching, player recognition and all around improvement.

yakstorm

First Grade
I feel the Russians were unlucky to be grouped the way they were.

I think it would of been better if England A, Wales and Ireland were grouped together, for the simple fact that players from these three sides will all be playing to try and get a spot in the Great Britain side if injuries occur.

Russia would of been competitive against France (as they showed in the Victory Cup final) and Scotland could of fielded a few more players from its domestic comp against the Russians.

Still, I don't think the Bears will just lie down, they will possibly lose both games by at least 20 points in their group, but will possibly annoy or push both England A and Wales in the first half.

The Observer

Staff member
yakstorm said:
I feel the Russians were unlucky to be grouped the way they were.

So do I. The Russian RL may be counting heir blessings to be involved in that pool however because they want more high level international competition and they are getting it with England A. More importantly they might feel they'd be getting more top level exposure in the RL world by plaing their games in the UK and especially in the North of England.

I think it would of been better if England A, Wales and Ireland were grouped together, for the simple fact that players from these three sides will all be playing to try and get a spot in the Great Britain side if injuries occur.

I like your idea here. To create a British pool would be helpful to create extra competition for Lions spots. This would also regionalise the competition to create Western pools and Eastern pools and so cut down on travel costs.

However I would put Scotland in the pool instead of the (island of) Ireland team. While Scotland should definitely be in the Lions setup, I feel the Ireland team's involvement is a little more complicated (e.g. the fact that the united Ireland team represents the Republic of Ireland which is an independent country to the United Kingdom and represents the North which is a part of the UK) and Ireland could well take part in the European pool with France an Russia.

Russia would of been competitive against France (as they showed in the Victory Cup final)

RRL backer Kameldinov asked a few questions of Bears management in the light of the loss, especially since the French were virtually fielding a B team due to Villeneuve players being involved in the French final.

and Scotland could of fielded a few more players from its domestic comp against the Russians.[/quote]

Russia would get a return game against France, a familiar opponent, and a few Lokomotiv (a leading club) players would have experienced playing in France earlier this year/last year. Also, Ireland could have fielded a few

Still, I don't think the Bears will just lie down, they will possibly lose both games by at least 20 points in their group, but will possibly annoy or push both England A and Wales in the first half.

Agree with the three points you make here. They will compete and try hard. I think they'll lose to Wales by 20 and lose to England A by 60+.

The Observer

Staff member
obsulete said:
Joker said:
Lack of expertise is not an issue.

What do you mean?

There are people in Russia that have good training in coaching and development and have tried to improve systems there however the RRL administrators and coaches have ignored them. Part of this is the is a prexisting cultural attitude to be skeptical of foreigners and outsiders in general, that's a part of the society as a whole. Also, the Bears have a false sense of confidence from thumping the USA Tomawhawks a few times. The elite Russian teams were training their players with Union techniques because the coaches have an RU background and that is all they knew/wish to know at the time.

We saw what happened in the World Sevens. The Rabbitohs ripped the Bears apart and scored nearly in every set of six they got the ball.

So a World Class techical Director could be sent over to train them, but will the players/coaches/administrators listen and will the changes be lasting? On the basis of what has gone on so far, I doubt it.

obsulete

Juniors
Joker said:
obsulete said:
Joker said:
Lack of expertise is not an issue.

What do you mean?

There are people in Russia that have good training in coaching and development and have tried to improve systems there however the RRL administrators and coaches have ignored them. Part of this is the is a prexisting cultural attitude to be skeptical of foreigners and outsiders in general, that's a part of the society as a whole. Also, the Bears have a false sense of confidence from thumping the USA Tomawhawks a few times. The elite Russian teams were training their players with Union techniques because the coaches have an RU background and that is all they knew/wish to know at the time.

We saw what happened in the World Sevens. The Rabbitohs ripped the Bears apart and scored nearly in every set of six they got the ball.

So a World Class techical Director could be sent over to train them, but will the players/coaches/administrators listen and will the changes be lasting? On the basis of what has gone on so far, I doubt it.

Didn't know all that. Well if they to cop touch ups in ENC they should sit up and listen then i'd say.. I dont really care so long as Wales give em a flogging.. hope they beat england A...

The Observer

Staff member
Recently though there have been some new initiatives - the RRL have hired ex-Kiwi coach Bob Bailey to coach the Bears in the ENC and they have a french referee to officiate the Cup final between Lokomotiv and Kazan Energy, and do some seminars.

In-goal

Bench
The Rusians couldn't be that ignorant to believe that they will become world beaters using there own techniques, The poor old bears will get hammered buy Wales and pounded into submission buy the young super League elite.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I think it'd benefit Russian League immensely if some players/coaches could get some time to train with their NRL counterparts. There's a reason Australia is so dominant internationally- and the Russians could learn from that.

Chris