What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RWC: Australia V. Italy

ThirdEye

Juniors
Looking better in the 2nd half. Italy are no easy-beats - even for a southern hemisphere heavyweight.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
starting to run the ball much better now, 3 quick tries in succession

abpanther

Staff member
First half was pretty poor, both teams feeling themselves out, man that ref was trigger happy.

Second half performance very impressive, forwards did well, scrum did pretty well, Ioane was electric and I think Connor has got himself back into the starting line up

Timbo

Staff member
This tournament has been a pleasent surprise so far - the gulf between the top tier and second tier nations is definitely narrowing.

Parra

Referee
Italy defended very well until they ran out of steam.

They also stuck to their game plan and executed it very well.

Seems the second tier countries can go at it for 30-50 mins, but they then fall in a heap. Already a massive improvement since previous tournaments.

Too many handling errors again for the Wallabies. Same as the last test against the AB's. In the second half their timing looked better and the passes stuck. More importantly, the forwards showed a lot more aggression. Vickerman was the only forward to really get stuck in during the first half.

Alain Rolland blew the pea out it, but let a lot of things slide as well.

As usual, Aussie goalkicking was woeful. It is bad enough to cost us the tournament.

Parra

Referee
Italian 12 has the worst tacking style. He got himself knocked out at least once out there.

Timbo

Staff member
As usual, Aussie goalkicking was woeful. It is bad enough to cost us the tournament.

They were saying something during the USA/Ireland game that the tournament ball is a bit different and is causing problems.

Look at last nights match in Dunedin - roofed stadium so no wind or atmospheric conditions whatsover to contend with; Wilkinson kicked 3/8, Rodriguez and Contemponi combined for 3/9. Then today, Sexton kicked 2/7 for Ireland.

These are some of the best kickers in the world so obviously there's something a bit iffy.

Thomas

First Grade
Yeah, he tackled with his head a few times. You can only do that if you are Tatafu Polota-Nau.

The Italians aren't easy beats. They put up a good fight and their style of play can sometimes be hard to get on top of. Much like the Argentinians, they disrupt the breakdown and slow the play down. Alain Rolland was his usual trackhead self. God I hate that ref. Generally makes shit up without even knowing what is going on.

I thought the Wallabies played well in the 2nd half. Got some good phases going and the backs thrived. Let's not forget that it was bucketing down just before kickoff.

The one thing I got out of that match was Ireland will be very nervous. The match between Ireland and Italy will probably decided the 2nd place team in the pool (if Australia beat Ireland). Should be a doozy.

Thomas

First Grade
They were saying something during the USA/Ireland game that the tournament ball is a bit different and is causing problems.

Look at last nights match in Dunedin - roofed stadium so no wind or atmospheric conditions whatsover to contend with; Wilkinson kicked 3/8, Rodriguez and Contemponi combined for 3/9. Then today, Sexton kicked 2/7 for Ireland.

These are some of the best kickers in the world so obviously there's something a bit iffy.

I think the French kicker only missed one kick? I think.

Timbo

Staff member
Yeah he kicked 6/8, and as I type this the Hook and Steyn are trading goals from everywhere, but still there's been some unusually wonky kicking from a number of good kickers.

Parra

Referee
Let's not forget that it was bucketing down just before kickoff.

Yeah. I was thinking how good it is to see the Wallabies playing during the day for a change and then it pissed down.

Union & league are so much better in daylight when the ball and field are dry.