What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryles will miss start of season

Deacon

First Grade
Ryles will miss start of season
Sportal

St George Illawarra prop Jason Ryles will miss the start of the 2005 NRL season after being ruled out following shoulder surgery.

He is expected to return in round four, meaning he will miss the Dragons' opening matches against the Bulldogs, Storm and Panthers.

Ryles injured his shoulder towards the end of the 2004 season, but did not know the extent of the injury and sought no treatment.

He aggravated the injury during the recent Tri-Nations Series, in which he coincidentally missed the final stages of the tournament in Great Britain because of a hamstring injury.

"I did it last season with about six games to go and didn't think much of it," Ryles told The Sunday Telegraph.

"It seemed to get better itself, then I landed on it in the first Test (against New Zealand in Auckland) and it was a little bit sore."

"When I told the doc he sent me for an MRI and it came up as a little tear in the cartilage."

"They did an arthroscope just to fix it up so that down the track it doesn't go on me."

He had the operation on Thursday at Prince of Wales Private Hospital after first thinking he may have required a reconstruction.

"When I heard it was cartilage I s*** myself, because I went for the scan thinking nothing was wrong," Ryles said.

If the MRI had found the entire cartilage torn, he would have faced a total reconstruction, which would have ruled him out of most of the season.

"Then when the doc rang and said 'you're booked in for surgery this arvo', I thought 'great, here we go'."

"But afterwards the doc said it wasn't as bad as first thought, so I'm pretty lucky. I would have been shattered if it was a reconstruction."

"Hopefully in four weeks I'll be able to do some light running and then really get into it in 10 weeks," he said.

Ryles has been plagued with injuries, particularly to his left shoulder, during the past two seasons, playing 26 games of a possible 49.

He joins teammates Shaun Timmins (elbow), Trent Barrett (knee), Mark Gasnier (wrist) and Michael Ennis (shoulder), who are also recovering from off-season surgery.

Latest posts