What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Old Timer

Coach
Let's be fair, and please bear in mind that I am not a fan of Mary.

We're 2/3 against the competition favourites, the defending premiers and our loss was to a team led by a guy who looks like he'll win the Dally M medal. So far, this is a great start to the season. If Mary can keep this win percentage up, we will finish in the top four. Once you're in the top 4, you are a shot of winning the comp. I believe Ivan Cleary would be a coach who could win us a comp, but if an idiot like Michael Maguire can luck his way into a premiership on a hot streak of form, then Mary could too.
We led the comp in 2015 how did that go long term for us?
Other than being reminded by Mc Fookknuckle in the pressers it was a lamentable and rapid downward spiral.
2016 complimented that downward spiral and here we are in early 2017 with opposition teams finding form and piecing together combinations and we've got people crowing at dawn how good it all is.
The club is setting this up for Mary's signature on an extension early in the season so whats the hurry on their part, why the rush?
Let's wait until round 26 surely that is fair seeing we are giving him his chance at coaching in the big league.

Qdf

Juniors
Other than being reminded by Mc Fookknuckle in the pressers it was a lamentable and rapid downward spiral.
2016 complimented that downward spiral and here we are in early 2017 with opposition teams finding form and piecing together combinations and we've got people crowing at dawn how good it all is.
The club is setting this up for Mary's signature on an extension early in the season so whats the hurry on their part, why the rush?
Let's wait until round 26 surely that is fair seeing we are giving him his chance at coaching in the big league.
Yes OT that's the way forward.
Let's just wait and see.
No need to rush in.

St Georgio

Juniors
Craig Bellamy
2003– Melbourne Storm 369 247 2 120 67% win
Paul McGregor
2014– St. George Illawarra 61 29 0 32 48% win.

If you look at the difference between both, It is quite a gap.
We need to find a coach with at least the figure of 57.5% win, this figure is between Bellamy success and McGregors Failure.
If McGregor wants a chance of any form of extension he would need to have 75% win rate by Round 15!

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors

Jesus Christ. I don't want to keep Mary but there aren't any other coaches except Cleary and Hasler and they're too smart to sign with us. If we're winning while he's coach, we're stuck with him, and if we're not winning, we get Hornby or Young.

BennyV

Referee
Craig Bellamy
2003– Melbourne Storm 369 247 2 120 67% win
Paul McGregor
2014– St. George Illawarra 61 29 0 32 48% win.

If you look at the difference between both, It is quite a gap.
We need to find a coach with at least the figure of 57.5% win, this figure is between Bellamy success and McGregors Failure.
If McGregor wants a chance of any form of extension he would need to have 75% win rate by Round 15!
Looking at success rates alone is very skewed. You need to look at those in context, particularly trends both during and prior to any coaches tenure at a club.

Cleary is a great example; he has a win rate of 49%, which is quite low. However, considering the history behind the warriors and their horrible record before and after Cleary's stint there, the fact that he got them to a Grand Final is quite impressive, with a single poor season in there. LIkewise, Panthers were on a road to nowhere and his work in developing and building the squad can not be underestimated.

By comparison, McGregor has 48%. He took over a horrible squad and despite improving the ability of the group as a whole (no question that our 2016/17 team is well above that of 2012/13) he has no improved the ability to win games in the same way. His style has not adapted to anything.

Longevity is another issue - coaches who have been around for longer are more likely to have a lower success rate despite their actual ability as a coach.

BennyV

Referee
Tony Smith
2004–07 Leeds Rhinos 134 98 3 33 73%
2009– Warrington Wolves 225 152 3 70 68%
Would 100% be my first choice. The club should be doing absolutely anything and everything to get him on board. Money, accomodation, helping our his family, the whole lot. Everything is negotiable. If we were serious about creating a winning culture, then 'he doesn't want to' shouldn't be an excuse. MAKE him want to.

JDHD

Juniors
You are clutching at a rather embarrassing bunch of straws, and building them into an even feebler strawman argument.

He won comps here and the UK. But nah, he got lucky.

You know when you say something really dumb and you can either admit how stupid it was or double down? I decided to double down. You're right, I'm grasping here, and I'm sorry I was a dick to you.

I still maintain that super league records generally mean piss-all, though haha

BennyV

Referee
You know when you say something really dumb and you can either admit how stupid it was or double down? I decided to double down. You're right, I'm grasping here, and I'm sorry I was a dick to you.

They count for less than an NRL title, more than a local Illawarra comp...

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Let's be fair, and please bear in mind that I am not a fan of Mary.

We're 2/3 against the competition favourites, the defending premiers and our loss was to a team led by a guy who looks like he'll win the Dally M medal. So far, this is a great start to the season. If Mary can keep this win percentage up, we will finish in the top four. Once you're in the top 4, you are a shot of winning the comp. I believe Ivan Cleary would be a coach who could win us a comp, but if an idiot like Michael Maguire can luck his way into a premiership on a hot streak of form, then Mary could too.

I agree up to a point JDHD
Maguire is better .
If we are getting rid of McGregor we must upgrade or whats the point.
To me the people who are running our club the board and doust have more to answer than mary and sould be held responsible.
What other board and ceo would survive by running the organisation as poorly as they have.

JDHD

Juniors
I agree JDHD
Maguire is not any better .
If we are getting rid of McGregor we must upgrade or whats the point.
To me how is running are club the board and doust have more to answer than mary and sould be held responsible.
What other board and ceo would survive by running the organisation as poorly as they have

The Tigers board aren't far off...

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say to Old Timer (who I was also kind of a dick too...sorry mate...). Unless we get a better coach, then we're just spinning our wheels and we'll be here in 12 months saying the same thing about the next bloke.

St Georgio

Juniors
Looking at success rates alone is very skewed. You need to look at those in context, particularly trends both during and prior to any coaches tenure at a club.

Cleary is a great example; he has a win rate of 49%, which is quite low. However, considering the history behind the warriors and their horrible record before and after Cleary's stint there, the fact that he got them to a Grand Final is quite impressive, with a single poor season in there. LIkewise, Panthers were on a road to nowhere and his work in developing and building the squad can not be underestimated.

By comparison, McGregor has 48%. He took over a horrible squad and despite improving the ability of the group as a whole (no question that our 2016/17 team is well above that of 2012/13) he has no improved the ability to win games in the same way. His style has not adapted to anything.

Longevity is another issue - coaches who have been around for longer are more likely to have a lower success rate despite their actual ability as a coach.
I believe the combo of both is the key, longevity and a good winning percentage like Craig Bellamy .
That Is why we both agree Tony Smith has both keys longevity and A gr8t strike rate in the ESL, it is quite awesome actually , he is worth the punt on Big money and a 3 year contract.
Tony Smith
2004–07 Leeds Rhinos 134 98 3 33 73
2009– Warrington Wolves 225 152 3 70 68

Life's Good

Coach
The reality is that the planets are aligning which will see McError kept on. Worse still is that the contract is likely to be in his favour.

grouch

First Grade

lol

St Georgio

Juniors
The reality is that the planets are aligning which will see McError kept on. Worse still is that the contract is likely to be in his favour.
If the club is seeking mediocrity and are happy with that, that is absolutely disgraceful. Seriosly McGregor would need to have this team finish top 4 2 have any chance to be kept on!

Qdf

Juniors
If the club is seeking mediocrity and are happy with that, that is absolutely disgraceful. Seriosly McGregor would need to have this team finish top 4 2 have any chance to be kept on!
No sorry, not even then.
He should've gone last year.
You know if he's allowed to stay on, it's a corrupt move on the boards behalf.
After all they will do anything to keep the "Boys Club" together.

Gareth67

First Grade
It's a great feeling knowing that we have won 2 from 3 , however I , and I am sure that all Saints fans , would like to have that tremendous feeling of knowing that the team has really achieved , by being in the end of years big matches .

It's still only early on for season 2017 , there is a long road ahead for the Dragons and Mary himself. His coaching ability will once again be tested , for good or bad , he already has had 2 seasons to show that he can take this club somewhere , but to date , with little success .

This is no reflection upon him as a person , but as a 1st grade coach and that is , unfortunately Mary does not have what it takes , for the Dragons to go all the way - and that is to have their hands wrapped around that Grand Final trophy .

Those gentleman in the Joint Ventures boardroom must realise , sooner or later , that their sole mission at St.George Illawarra , is to do their utmost in securing the Priemership , not for one season , but for every season . They should not , under any circumstance offer a coaching position to one , whom simply does not possess the capabilities required , to take a team to the Grand Final .

Last edited:

Bench
No need to worry about a new coach. I'm sure Doust will do the right thing for the club. That is a ready made story for the twilight zone

St Georgio

Juniors
Another 'old boy' No Thanks.
Wouldn't have ever played FG without his Prick brother coaching.
Tony Smith wasn't never part of the old boys club, I do agree as a player he wasn't that good, he a least has given ESL a go and is successful there, unlike Craig Young, Andrew Farrar and Paul McGregor(jobs for the boys) and because of your dislike of Brian..doesn't mean Tony is the same guy!