What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

ALSGI

Bench
Tony Smith wasn't never part of the old boys club, I do agree as a player he wasn't that good, he a least has given ESL a go and is successful there, unlike Craig Young, Andrew Farrar and Paul McGregor(jobs for the boys) and because of your dislike of Brian..doesn't mean Tony is the same guy!
Yes true, StGeorgio. My bad.
He certainly is a lot more qualified than our current crop. I do hate his Prick brother, but I also remember the last season Tony played for us he was vigorously 'booed' every time he ran onto the field from the bench, by our fans. Can't get my head past that alone but our younger fans wouldn't even remember that.
Agree, he is a lot more qualified than our current crop, good call.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
. He got lucky because the Burgess boys had a good year and Adam Reynolds stayed on the field. Plus, if Keary doesn't play, they don't win that final.
What does this even mean, generally when a team wins the GF, they have had players who have performed above and beyond during the year , they have used a small amount of players during the season and generally a player has a blinder or pulls of a great play during the GF you can use our statement against any club that wins the GF, not sure what your beef is with Maguire but i'd take him over Mary any day of the week...

Life's Good

Coach
It's a great feeling knowing that we have won 2 from 3 , however I , and I am sure that all Saints fans , would like to have that tremendous feeling of knowing that the team has really achieved , by being in the end of years big matches .

It's still only early on for season 2017 , there is a long road ahead for the Dragons and Mary himself. His coaching ability will once again be tested , for good or bad , he already has had 2 seasons to show that he can take this club somewhere , but to date , with little success .

This is no reflection upon him as a person , but as a 1st grade coach and that is , unfortunately Mary does not have what it takes , for the Dragons to go all the way - a premiership .

Those gentleman in the Joint Ventures boardroom must realise , sooner or later , that their sole mission at St.George Illawarra , is to win that Grand Final trophy , not for one season , but for every season . They should not , under any circumstance offer a coaching position to one , whom simply does not possess the capabilities required , to take a team to the Grand Final .
Your sentiment is admirable but for some reason our club escapes the scrutiny which others attract meaning our board continues to live with their head in the sand.

mickeylane

Bench
I don't think Mcgregor will need to worry about the player development at the club - I think the lower grade development will take on a pre meditated approach - you can see Millward already saying when they expect lower graders to be part of the 1st grade set up ..it's almost pre planned which U.S. a little weird as ut doesn't allow for any new young players to come through...players ID' for 1st grade this and next year..
Robson
Field
Garrick
Dufty
Leilua
They have all been earmarked to be in 1st grade squad in 2017/2018 by MillwArd..

If it's up to Millward I think u will see the Dragons blood up to 4-5 youngsters a year in 1st grade and if that's the case the lower grade coaches will be responsible of bringing along the kids and getting them ready for 1st grade transition.

It's seems that Mcgregor is the only coach prepared to work under the constraints that the new Dragons mgt are offering their coach which is just coach what your given - we have seen Cleary knock us back already due to the constrictive role and now heads to the Tigers.. No way Hasler will accept the same role - not without complete control which he won't get under the Dragons.. Only coach that would consider this role would be a Walters or Demetriou a young and up and coming coach - no established coach worth his salt will accept the coaching position and it's accompanying conditionst I think the dragons will stick w Mcgregor - it's just a hunch though...

possm

Coach
And yet Millward, Doust and the Board don't mind if this turns off good prospective head coaches. Mary will do it because it is less work for him and he has a ready made excuse; 'I don't have the players'.

As long as nobody is rocking the boat and Millward has his long term job, everything is sweet. AND NO ONE CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Sorry, but why the actual hell do people want MICK POTTER?

Look at his stats for the tigers 2013-2014. Win rate? 35%. With Tedesco, Moses, Brooks, Richards, etc.
Not a Mary fan at all, but with the worst backline he still got a 48% win rate.

Oki

Juniors
I would to look Super League, Not a washed up ex NRL coach who has been sacked in the NRL by other clubs e.g. Cleary, the Warriors fluked the GF with him and weren't even close, he wouldn't be the answer. Hasler won the comp with Manly but his coaching style is what we have already, one out one up hit up hit up if the forwards don't get on top there is no plan B, Tony Smith perhaps? My biggest problem with giving Mary the gig was, how can you sack the head coach (Steve Price) then give the assistant coach the job? what can he offer that wasn't already there? when Price was sacked everyone on the coaching staff should have been gone, then start again. Mary was a gun centre for the Steelers back in the day, dominated at State of Origin before breaking his leg, shame he doesn't coach the way he played.

There's a dark cloud hanging over Kogarah. We might be stuck with Mary.
Here is the quandary. We make the 8 and Mary is given an extension.
We explode and get thrashed and finish out of the eight. Mary is booted.
What is best for our team

The latter, without a shadow of doubt.

Straight Shooter

The obsession with the coach on this forum is out of control. I honestly think that most people here are more intent on getting a new coach than winning games of football.
Who do you think is our savior?
Newsflash, dragons players are up and playing well. They aren't giving up like the tigers.
They don't have a halfback and still are winning games of footy.
I would love to see the forums side with dufty at 1, mann at 7, field at 6 side just to see them get lapped by 60.
2017 is looking OK. Get over the obsession about sacking the coach, board, captain. It aint gonna happen.
Just support the team.

Another imbecilic post from Mary's crush.

Straight Shooter

JDHD

Juniors
What does this even mean, generally when a team wins the GF, they have had players who have performed above and beyond during the year , they have used a small amount of players during the season and generally a player has a blinder or pulls of a great play during the GF you can use our statement against any club that wins the GF, not sure what your beef is with Maguire but i'd take him over Mary any day of the week...

Simple answer: I'm an idiot with a rage boner and didn't want to admit I was wrong.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The team would probably play better without a coach. I am sure that the captain and vice captain reporting to Mark Coyne could improve the tactics and use of the bench. Coyne and the two lower grade coaches could be the
panel of selectors.

Coffs dragon

Bench
The coach scenario will be the same as the Gym......just give it a coat of paint and pretend it's new. The Board/Management will gloss over any positives & simply conceal the cracks.
I get the feeling things will remain unchanged......all rumours and gossip and yet Normal Transmission with the Old Boys Brigade.

Carlton

Juniors
I've noticed that a number of posters have accepted that McGregor will be offered an extension. It is right now that this thread needs to be more active than ever, Mary has shown over an extended period he can't do the job.

If we start talking about his extension it eases the pressure on the club to change him. We need to be talking about getting rid of him. Also, the speculation about who a new coach could be doesn't help as there is no consensus. Everyone has a different idea who they think it should be and this dilutes the majority thinking making it easier for the club to do what they want with the excuse of, we cant please everyone.

People may not agree with me and that's fine but, I think we need to be focusing on one message to the club. Get rid of Mary now!

TheFrog

Coach
Lot of posts have said that Penrith and Cronulla were off their games. I don't agree they were beaten by a better team.
Why can't it be both?

Panthers were appalling, Dragons really good in conditions that suited them.

Once again last game Dragons played well again in conditions that suited them, but Sharks were coming home, and time ran out. It was a pretty good win in my humble opinion.

This is a team of mudlarks, no two ways about it.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
Why can't it be both?

Panthers were appalling, Dragons really good in conditions that suited them.

Once again last game Dragons played well again in conditions that suited them, but Sharks were coming home, and time ran out. It was a pretty good win in my humble opinion.

This is a team of mudlarks, no two ways about it.

Latest posts