What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

epDragon62

First Grade
This restraint on Mann's game time is ridiculous.

Mann doesn't get enough time soo he won't be match fit when needed and he must be getting highly frustrated (he'll leave). The additional strain on the other players will also tell eventually.

Watching Aitken make the same rushing mistake week in and week out is appalling and suggests the coach isn't addressing it. Give Mann a chance to show he can do better.

BrissyRedV

Bench
We all perceive the team selection is wrong, however if the team is winning who are we to say the team selection is wrong?

As for the bench, it's crazy wasting Mann there for 73 minutes, however that's the problem you have with a utility on the bench. Normally that utility comes on for 20mins a game to give the Hooker a breather (not for the #7) .. however we have Mcinness playing well and capable of playing 80minutes.
McCrone has been atrocious and in the Sharks game in particular, turned the momentum into the Sharks favour. As for Mann, Marys management of him has been appalling. If the intent is to slot him into the halves at some stage, either do it or let him play in the reserves to build some match fitness. On the bench, select a utility that can perform in multiple positions in the pack ie. Havili.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Whilst it's great the team is winning and the forwards are dominating, you sense where this is leading.......
The team peaks early
Mary will be re-signed
Fatigue & injury due to this power game will set in towards the 2nd half of the comp
Down we slide & it's Groundhog year once again

I really hope the club wait and don't go off early again before making the next coaching appointment. Time and patience is of the essence here.

BennyV

Referee
There's a lot of focus on Mary's use of Mann, but I think his use of Host is just as bad. Host is every bit as good as young Coen Hess from Cowboys, but he's a long minute edge back rower getting 15 minutes a game in the middle of the park.

When he gets called upon to cover Friz for SOO, his match fitness will be shot and besides that, its poor management of a young player bubbling with potential. Either rotate him through NSW Cup with Sele be Leilua, or give him half a game in his actual position.

loveoursaints

Juniors
Said in other thread after tonight especially. I'd have aitken on the bench. Move Mann to the centres. Aitken can cover loss of a back if need and does most of his work punching in behind the ruck through the middle pretty effectively
So would be good for 20 or so with good front on defence can cover the middle third
But then we may have lost!

MilanDragon

Juniors
McCrone has been atrocious and in the Sharks game in particular, turned the momentum into the Sharks favour. As for Mann, Marys management of him has been appalling. If the intent is to slot him into the halves at some stage, either do it or let him play in the reserves to build some match fitness. On the bench, select a utility that can perform in multiple positions in the pack ie. Havili.

Maybe there is no intent to put him in the halves at any stage.

Well that's the thing about a utility, Mary is choosing to go with a backline utility rather than a forward utility, hence the problem of lack of minutes for Mann. And quite frankly given host is okly getting close to 15 minutes a game we don't need another forward on the bench.

I agree with you in relation to the sharks game, if McCrone was having a shocker he should've been hooked, making use of the utility on the bench.

St Georgio

Juniors
The majority of thoughts on this forum was that even if McGregor was to get us deep into finals, they wanted see to a new coach, my thoughts, Wait until End of Season a then make a decision, but I must say the dragons are doing well considering we have a crap number 7 and a top center playing fullback, I am sure McGregor could Be even better with Hunt in his cut and paste team.
Mann needs more game time, in the second half McGregor could have used Mann a lot more and he didn't, that is where McGregor falls short as a good NRL coach. 1 try in the second was not good enough, the end result should have been at least 36-12.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
There's a lot of focus on Mary's use of Mann, but I think his use of Host is just as bad. Host is every bit as good as young Coen Hess from Cowboys, but he's a long minute edge back rower getting 15 minutes a game in the middle of the park.

When he gets called upon to cover Friz for SOO, his match fitness will be shot and besides that, its poor management of a young player bubbling with potential. Either rotate him through NSW Cup with Sele be Leilua, or give him half a game in his actual position.

Pretty much agree with what you're saying, but i'm going to nit pick at something for a moment because it annoyed me slightly haha.
Host is not in the same league as Hess. Hess has already bolted into Maroons contention and if we're comparing the two, Host doesn't even come close. Whilst I acknowledge that Hosty has a huge future in the game and he's a quality player, and you're right he is an edge forward and not a middle forward, but Hess is on a different planet at the moment. He's just as effective on the edge as he is in the middle. That try he scored on the weekend (barging through about 5 players through brute strength and determination) was a representative forward's play.

Adding to what you're saying though, Leilua should replace Host on the bench, he would have a far more damaging impact than Host currently does.

mickeylane

Bench
Mcge
We all perceive the team selection is wrong, however if the team is winning who are we to say the team selection is wrong?

As for the bench, it's crazy wasting Mann there for 73 minutes, however that's the problem you have with a utility on the bench. Normally that utility comes on for 20mins a game to give the Hooker a breather (not for the #7) .. however we have Mcinness playing well and capable of playing 80minutes.
McGregor was asked about McCrones form and he said that atm that MCrone is doing a certain job for the team thats suiting the teams style of play....dont expect Mcrone to be dropped - only chance is injury..

mickeylane

Bench
Mcgre
The majority of thoughts on this forum was that even if McGregor was to get us deep into finals, they wanted see to a new coach, my thoughts, Wait until End of Season a then make a decision, but I must say the dragons are doing well considering we have a crap number 7 and a top center playing fullback, I am sure McGregor could Be even better with Hunt in his cut and paste team.
Mann needs more game time, in the second half McGregor could have used Mann a lot more and he didn't, that is where McGregor falls short as a good NRL coach. 1 try in the second was not good enough, the end result should have been at least 36-12.
McGregor in this mornings interview said that he's currently the coach with no read on his future - he said that he doesn't know how long he will be here and just concentrating on week to week results..

Maybe the board is really looking to head into a different direction - the club is very good at holding their cards very close to their chest...

BennyV

Referee
Pretty much agree with what you're saying, but i'm going to nit pick at something for a moment because it annoyed me slightly haha.
Host is not in the same league as Hess. Hess has already bolted into Maroons contention and if we're comparing the two, Host doesn't even come close. Whilst I acknowledge that Hosty has a huge future in the game and he's a quality player, and you're right he is an edge forward and not a middle forward, but Hess is on a different planet at the moment. He's just as effective on the edge as he is in the middle. That try he scored on the weekend (barging through about 5 players through brute strength and determination) was a representative forward's play.

Adding to what you're saying though, Leilua should replace Host on the bench, he would have a far more damaging impact than Host currently does.
Disagree regarding Host and Hess. The biggest thing Hess has to his advantage are structures around him. At the Cowboys, edge back rowers have a field day - Gavin Cooper and Ethan Lowe have been amongst the top try scorers for backrowers in the comp last year, while Thommo and Friz (far better players individually) are criminally underutilised. It has to do with halves and structure. No surprises that when young edge players enter the fray, the one at the well-coached team outshines the one at the poorly coached team with zero structure.

Host is a brilliant young player. Shone for the junior Kangaroos and named in the NsW Cup team of the year at age 19 (helped having a coach last year with half an brain). He was listed behind only Tom Turbo and Cleary in the Top players under 20 early last year - in front of the likes of Ponga, Gela-Mosby, Edwards and Hess himself.

He showed incredibly ability last year under Jd and put him in Hess's shoes, outside JT and under Green, and we'd see what he's really capable of.

Crush

Coach
Mcge

McGregor was asked about McCrones form and he said that atm that MCrone is doing a certain job for the team thats suiting the teams style of play....dont expect Mcrone to be dropped - only chance is injury..
McCrone isnt going anywhere. Unfortunately.

Frank Facer

First Grade
There is an article on Foxsports about Mary wanting to keep Dugan at fullback. When the reporter asked him if keeping Dugan at centre was a long term plan, Mary replied "I'm only short term mate. I am only coaching in 17, so that's all I am worried about.

Now I take that quote to mean that Mary knows he won't be coaching us next year. It also makes me think that his successor has already agreed to coach us.

MilanDragon

Juniors
He said that in his press conference after the game.

The way I interpreted it was that he hasn't signed or maybe even been offered an extension. Also that he's keeping his cards close to his chest if there have been any discussions.

But one thing it does mean is his job is only to worry about this season and not about the future of the club and it's not his job to worry about juniors and 2018 onwards.

Noraa

Juniors
Just a quick reply to benny vs last post ...structure ? Were you living under a rock last year ,we brought in the cowboys attacking coach and played to a structure all year and we all know how that worked out . That type of game plan don't work for us, besides that I think it's refreshing to play a different style rather than trying to play to a certain structure , it makes it harder for teams to defend and the players seem to enjoy it . I think if we can hold on to the ball a bit more and continue this style of footy we'll be successful this year . I do however agree with you on the fact that our second rowers need to be running a bit closer to the edges rather than up the middle .

Ted bartolo

Juniors
The power forward pack plan.is dragons struggling into the 8.we need a plan that can win a comp..Basically we need to blood New players.McGregor trying to save his job.Sack McGregor and doust

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I've changed my mind. I was wrong about McGregor, he's an excellent coach.

In fact he's so good I think the Bulldogs should forget about extending Hasler and make a big play to sign McGregor as their next coach ASAP!

Country Dragon

Juniors
I've changed my mind. I was wrong about McGregor, he's an excellent coach.

In fact he's so good I think the Bulldogs should forget about extending Hasler and make a big play to sign McGregor as their next coach ASAP!
After all they are "Bought not Bred" I'm sure the Morris twins would welcome him with open arms!

mickeylane

Bench
Maybe there is no intent to put him in the halves at any stage.

Well that's the thing about a utility, Mary is choosing to go with a backline utility rather than a forward utility, hence the problem of lack of minutes for Mann. And quite frankly given host is okly getting close to 15 minutes a game we don't need another forward on the bench.

I agree with you in relation to the sharks game, if McCrone was having a shocker he should've been hooked, making use of the utility on the bench.
MANN is on the bench because he can cover
Fullback, Wing, centre,5/8, 7 it's that simple - he's not there to cover Mcrone etc.. Stop dreaming!