What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Life's Good

Coach
Good point and the reason is that we are poorly coached.
Competition points are about mustering strategies that win games against all types of opposition in all sorts of conditions.
McGregor has consistently been out coached by his opposite number which has led to us losing games we could have won and a string of embarrassing results such as both Newcastle games.
There is nothing wrong with our current roster and our improved stats can be directly attributed to acquisitions such as Vaughan, and McInnes.
So why are we floundering around the edge of the eight?
Because we have a coach whose background is bush footy and a few mediocre seasons coaching the Cutters.
He is just not qualified to coach any FG team let alone St. George.
The subsequent results that pain us all, were inevitable.
What a waste...
Well said.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Your argument about coaches strategies/tactics is what wins games does not really make sense if you look at Des Hasler as a perfect example. Surely he has the tactics to beat any side but hasn't this year and you cannot give me this cattle crap because he has plenty of rep players at his disposal and many more than most teams.

It comes down to players just as much as the coach and the games Saints lost to Souths, Shark, Raiders and Knights came down to players not Mary. They had the right game plan but wrong execution. Mental attitude is what killed them and that is why Graham will be a good signing. He would not let them take their eye off the ball that is for sure.

Then is if you blame team selection you can also look at Des again. Chase Stanley at 6 or 7 ahead of Mbye? That is something Price would do. Wait a sec, he did. Based on Des's selections, I am sure he would also be on the McCrone band wagon if he was there.

I am picking on Des here because there are a lot of people on this forum that would prefer him to Mary.

grouch

First Grade
Hasler's having his first bad season since his rookie year THIRTEEN seasons ago. That makes him worse than McGregor, who scraped into the finals once in his career? Hasler got the grand final with halves of Hodkinson & Reynolds, with Sam Perrett at fullback!! How is this even a conversation?

hewi

Bench
Hasler's having his first bad season since his rookie year THIRTEEN seasons ago. That makes him worse than McGregor, who scraped into the finals once in his career? Hasler got the grand final with halves of Hodkinson & Reynolds, with Sam Perrett at fullback!! How is this even a conversation?

It's called runs on the board ,Hasler has them, McGregor dreams about them ans IMO that will be the case for a long time to come.

Your argument about coaches strategies/tactics is what wins games does not really make sense if you look at Des Hasler as a perfect example. Surely he has the tactics to beat any side but hasn't this year and you cannot give me this cattle crap because he has plenty of rep players at his disposal and many more than most teams.

It comes down to players just as much as the coach and the games Saints lost to Souths, Shark, Raiders and Knights came down to players not Mary. They had the right game plan but wrong execution. Mental attitude is what killed them and that is why Graham will be a good signing. He would not let them take their eye off the ball that is for sure.

Then is if you blame team selection you can also look at Des again. Chase Stanley at 6 or 7 ahead of Mbye? That is something Price would do. Wait a sec, he did. Based on Des's selections, I am sure he would also be on the McCrone band wagon if he was there.

I am picking on Des here because there are a lot of people on this forum that would prefer him to Mary.
I get the "players are as much to blame" slant on things but it doesn't really hold water.
Quite simply our stats are way better than last year. In fact we have a positive for and against of nearly 100 and we are still not in the eight!
By stark comparison, Parramatta are 4th and have a positive for and against of only 15.
In fact 6 out of the 8 clubs sitting in the top eight have worse for and against stats than us.
Add to that the fact that we are the 3rd highest point scorers (in stark contrast to 2016) and have the 6th best defensive stats.
And yet...we are outside the eight fighting for survival against a red hot Brisbane outfit, a desperate Penrith that has everything to play for and a Canterbury outfit that would love nothing more than to put our finals aspirations to sleep.
How do you explain that? It's not even subjective any more.
Can you really stand there and blame the players for our predicament?
Of course they have a huge responsibility but they do not select themselves, they do not devise game plans, they do not decide how to use the bench on game day and they can only look to the coach for know how, leadership, inspiration and direction.
I don't know what you've been seeing when you watch us play, but the effort is nearly always there.
We fade in and out of games and many times look confused and disorganized.
We give up big leads and lose close games.
The weight of responsibility lies fairly and squarely on the coach's shoulders.
As for Des, you can say what you want about him but he sure knows how to beat us.
Other posters have already pointed out that Des has a coaching pedigree whereas our bloke is still in nappies. No comparison.

Maxwell

Juniors
Watching the game against Bronco, dragooooons defence is absolute friggin rubbish. They just stand there and wait for Broncos to run to them, Broncos make 60/90 yards every 6 tackles ,we make 30. And it's the way the coach wants it done, he's a friggen wanker . Against these teams who love to shift the ball from side to side like Broncos , storm are going to kick your arse.. Please , please, PLEASE sack the f**ken Moron before he wrecks the team anymore, they don't deserve to make the 8 .

I don't know why people think the board is going to change its mind.

Mary has the job for 2 more years and thats not going to change.

FFS our defensive structure has been dismantled all year.

All year players have been running out of the line, or back peddling in defence.
If this was the player fault it would have been fixed, it's actually gotten worse, so the only conclusion you come to is its a COACHED DEFENSE!!!

If that dosnt convince you this bloke is actually geniused nothing will.

OzDragon

Coach
Well this new tactic of loading up with excuses before a ball is even kicked seems to be his new game plan.

gonz

Juniors
On tonight's performance we won't beat Penrith next week and that will be season over. 4 wins from 15 games I think. If the board leave this idiot there for next season we'll we are well and truly rooted.
And Penrith r rubbish

gonz

Juniors
Should've come out with origin intensity and said to Brisbane F U your getting slammed tonite, instead it looked like a round 11 origin week performance

This Year?

Immortal
A season defining game and our leadership group goes missing with some boneheaded plays.

We were so 1 dimentional with the ball and terrible without it. Even the refs felt sorry for us.

I wonder what the f**kwit said at half time.

As fans how much longer do we have to endure this rubbish for?

For the 1st time I have actually seriously thought about not giving a shit about anything Saints related anymore and it's heartbreaking to think that way.